Fedora 24?

Niels Kobschätzki

Jun 22, 2016, 5:41:16 AM6/22/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

what would I need to do to update an existing Fedora-template or install a new template to/with Fedora24?

Will Fedora24-templates come with Qubes 3.2?

Niels

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 22, 2016, 6:28:48 PM6/22/16
to Niels Kobschätzki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

ni...@kobschaetzki.net

Jun 23, 2016, 6:32:53 AM6/23/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
> On June 23, 2016 at 12:28 AM Marek Marczykowski-Górecki <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:41:12AM +0200, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > what would I need to do to update an existing Fedora-template or install a new template to/with Fedora24?
> >
> > Will Fedora24-templates come with Qubes 3.2?
>
> In Qubes 3.2 we build packages also for Fedora 24. There is no prepared
> template available, and packages aren't tested yet, but it should be
> possible to upgrade using something similar to:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/fedora-template-upgrade-21/
> Just replace 23 with 24 and probably use dnf instead of yum.

Thanks a lot for the information. I will probably try my luck tonight :)

Niels

Niels Kobschaetzki

Jun 23, 2016, 3:31:59 PM6/23/16
On 16/06/23 00:28, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:41:12AM +0200, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> what would I need to do to update an existing Fedora-template or install a new template to/with Fedora24?
>>
>> Will Fedora24-templates come with Qubes 3.2?
>
>In Qubes 3.2 we build packages also for Fedora 24. There is no prepared
>template available, and packages aren't tested yet, but it should be
>possible to upgrade using something similar to:
>https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/fedora-template-upgrade-21/
>Just replace 23 with 24 and probably use dnf instead of yum.

It seems that the commands might work but the packages in the Qubes-repo
have still dependency-problems with Fedora 24. It seems I need to wait
for 3.2.
And I am not eager to do an allowerasing or some force installing which
burnt me in the past (not with Qubes but in general).

The error messages are:
Error: package python3-dnf-plugins-qubes-hooks-3.1.16-1.fc23.x86_64 requires python(abi) = 3.4, but none of the providers can be installed.
package qubes-gui-vm-3.1.5-1.fc23.x86_64 requires pulseaudio = 7.1, but none of the providers can be installed.
package xen-qubes-vm-2001:4.6.0-13.fc23.x86_64 requires xen-libs = 2001:4.6.0-13.fc23, but none of the providers can be installed.
package qubes-core-vm-3.1.16-1.fc23.x86_64 requires python3-dnf-plugins-qubes-hooks, but none of the providers can be installed.
package qubes-core-vm-systemd-3.1.16-1.fc23.x86_64 requires qubes-core-vm, but none of the providers can be installed
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting
packages)

Cheers,

Niels

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 5, 2016, 7:24:09 PM9/5/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Niels Kobschaetzki

Foppe de Haan

Sep 6, 2016, 3:24:54 AM9/6/16
to qubes-users, ni...@kobschaetzki.net
What kind of tests are you hoping for? It seems to be running fine here, and moving files between VMs also seems to be working.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 6, 2016, 5:17:10 AM9/6/16
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-users, ni...@kobschaetzki.net

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 6, 2016, 5:30:06 AM9/6/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes-users

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 08:27:09AM +0200, Achim Patzner wrote:
> Am 06.09.2016 um 01:24 schrieb Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> > I've just tried this and successfully upgraded Fedora 23 to Fedora 24
> > template.
> >
> > TL;DR version:
> > 1. Clone fedora-23 to fedora-24-test.
> > 2. Open terminal in fedora-24-test.
> > 3. Run "dnf upgrade --releasever=24".
> > 4. Shutdown the template.
> > 5. Switch (some of?) VMs to this template.
> >
> > Some basic tests are ok. Please, if any of you have a chance, test such
> > template. If that would work, we'll build full template for convenience.
>
> I did that a two weeks ago and it improved a lot of things on my system.
> It is working better if the display's resolution has been correctly set
> _before_ launching anything X...
>
> Does anyone have a simple tool to diff the rpm inventory of two machines
> and apply everything that is not installed in the target machine? 8-)

rpm -qa |sort > pkg_list
Then diff those files...

Dnf also keep track of what packages have you installed manually (in
contrast to those installed as dependencies). I can't find a tool to
query this (only add/remove packages: dnf mark). But apparently you can
easily get this from its database:

grep -l user /var/lib/dnf/yumdb/*/*/reason

That list needs some postprocessing unfortunately (like removing
"/reason"), but shouldn't be that hard.

> For some unknown reasons it was not a good idea to start with my R3.1
> (with all bells and whistles) template VM; I had to use the template
> that came with the R3.2 installation to get it running.

There are no fc24 packages for R3.1. So if you're starting with R3.1
template, first you need to upgrade it to R3.2.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Foppe de Haan

Sep 6, 2016, 6:29:14 AM9/6/16
to qubes-users, 0spin...@gmail.com, ni...@kobschaetzki.net
Okay.

I've cloned and upgraded the fc23 template in the manner indicated, plus upgraded a Standalone fc23-based VM. Both upgraded & started without issues.
No errors during update for me, just some Fedora-related annoyances (e.g. postgresql 9.4->9.5 requiring the old binaries for a database upgrade, and fedora not keeping those around)

Networking / browsing seems fine so far; I swapped sys-usb, sys-net and sys-firewall to fc24, and they are working as well, at least at first glance. Qvm-usb device listing & passthrough works as well.
Sys-usb and -net memory usage still at 300mb; sys-firewall memory usage (once it's been running for a while) may be at a somewhat higher level than before, but hard to say (~900mb now)
Updating packages works (using the QVM manager dropdown menu selection, and simply via sudo dnf update);
Installing new packages works, and they show up in the Qubes app menu list)
Haven't test t-bird because I'm running that on a Debian VM.

Achim Patzner

Sep 6, 2016, 7:07:54 AM9/6/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Am 06.09.2016 um 11:30 schrieb Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> > Does anyone have a simple tool to diff the rpm inventory of two machines
> > and apply everything that is not installed in the target machine? 8-)
>
> rpm -qa |sort > pkg_list
> Then diff those files...

I hoped there was an easier way 8-). I did that (actually not using a
diff; adding a package that is already there doesn't matter). But that
didn't solve what wou were mentioning next:

> But apparently you can
> easily get this from its database:
>
> grep -l user /var/lib/dnf/yumdb/*/*/reason

That did a bit more for me and reduced overhead quite a bit.

> There are no fc24 packages for R3.1. So if you're starting with R3.1
> template, first you need to upgrade it to R3.2.

What I wanted to way was "using an old template I brought forward from
3.1 to 3.2 got me into a dead end so I started over with the fedora-23
from 3.2". Don't ask me, I'm only the end user and don't know much about
growing penguins.

Which reminds me: Is there a serious difference betwenn sys-* in 3.1 and
3.2 or is it a bad idea to backup and restore the old VMs?

Achim

Achim Patzner

Sep 6, 2016, 7:10:55 AM9/6/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 06.09.2016 um 11:17 schrieb Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> Just some standard usage things, like:
> - networking (like standard web browsing)

Working.

> - updates / package installation (is it working at all? does new apps
> show up in the menu?)

Working.

> - emails (for example if Qubes addon for Thunderbird still works)

Working.

> - update process itself (some broken dependencies?)

Working.

> - memory usage, performance - compared to Fedore 23

No realy noticeable difference.

Some key bindings might have changed; ctrl-"+" in a terminal window
increases the font size but the terminal window does not grow with it
anymore.

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 6, 2016, 7:22:36 AM9/6/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 6, 2016, 7:24:14 AM9/6/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Torsten Grote

Sep 6, 2016, 9:18:45 AM9/6/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/05/2016 08:24 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Please, if any of you have a chance, test such template.

I had to resize the system partition, because the upgrade was too big to
fit on it. Automatic resizing didn't work. I had to run resize2fs manually.

The upgrade went through smoothly. Only noticed this warning:

Upgrading : glibc-2.23.1-10.fc24.x86_64
/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.6: cannot
warning: %triggerin(cronie-1.5.0-3.fc23.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit
status 127
Non-fatal <unknown> scriptlet failure in rpm package glibc
Non-fatal <unknown> scriptlet failure in rpm package glibc
Upgrading : libstdc++-6.1.1-3.fc24.x86_64

Kind Regards,
Torsten

signature.asc

pixel fairy

Sep 6, 2016, 11:44:36 PM9/6/16
to qubes-users, t...@grobox.de
> On 09/05/2016 08:24 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > Please, if any of you have a chance, test such template.

Whats the time frame on 3.2? fedora 25 is out in november. would it be worth it to wait? or just make an updated template then?

would also be good to have a newer set of graphics drivers in dom0

Connor Page

Sep 7, 2016, 7:28:50 AM9/7/16
to qubes-users
I upgraded all fedora-based vms to 24 about a month ago when I noticed a qubes repo for that. all upgrades went smooth but I suggest backups first because of different versions of software. things may break if you switch back to 23. I had this problem with remmina, it couldn't work properly with config from 23 but after changes in 24 and switching back to 23 it was again broken. in the end I just stopped using it.
I think f24 is more memory hungry. because of that I created a separate update vm so that RAM can be quickly freed up after updating dom0.
I haven't noticed any downgrade in performance but that may happen for users with limited RAM and swaps on HDDs.
f24 pushes substantial amount of updates daily, however delta RPMs don't consume much bandwidth.

Connor Page

Sep 7, 2016, 7:32:01 AM9/7/16
to qubes-users
and forgot to mention, I followed the documentation for upgrade from 21 to 23, i.e. used an additional disk image for cache and modules. otherwise it would fail with my densely populated templates.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 7, 2016, 9:40:24 AM9/7/16
to pixel fairy, qubes-users, t...@grobox.de

pixel fairy

Sep 8, 2016, 8:14:51 AM9/8/16
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com, t...@grobox.de
On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 6:40:24 AM UTC-7, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> For Qubes 4.0 it hasn't been decided yet (most likely will be Fedora
> 23 too). But hopefully we'll have newer kernel there. I'd aim for 4.8.

looks like fedora 23 will be EOL in 3-4 months. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_of_life

Steve Coleman

Sep 8, 2016, 3:41:04 PM9/8/16
On 09/05/2016 07:24 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> I've just tried this and successfully upgraded Fedora 23 to Fedora 24
> template.
>
> TL;DR version:
> 1. Clone fedora-23 to fedora-24-test.
> 2. Open terminal in fedora-24-test.
> 3. Run "dnf upgrade --releasever=24".
> 4. Shutdown the template.
> 5. Switch (some of?) VMs to this template.
>
> Some basic tests are ok. Please, if any of you have a chance, test such
> template. If that would work, we'll build full template for convenience.

Just wanted to pass on that I cloned fc23 and created an fc24 template
under 3.2 like mentioned above, and have switched _all_ my VM's over to
it. I have been running this way for a solid two days now with no major
issues. I had a little bit of weird behavior during the transition (menu
stopped working, Qubes manager didn't start). After applying all updates
and after about the third reboot everything seems to have smoothed out
and is working properly as best as I can tell.

My only outstanding issue is more 3.2 upgrade related, where my clock
keeps getting set an hour ahead.

Steve Coleman

Andrew David Wong

Sep 9, 2016, 4:24:26 PM9/9/16
to pixel fairy, qubes-users, t...@grobox.de, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

pixel fairy

Sep 11, 2016, 9:38:46 AM9/11/16
to qubes-users, ni...@kobschaetzki.net
it all worked, except the option to delete the old template was grayed out.

pixel fairy

Sep 13, 2016, 3:35:20 PM9/13/16
to qubes-users, ni...@kobschaetzki.net
i think fedora24 should be the default template for qubes 3.2. were all testing it, cant see any problems. we cant have an EOL release for appvms.

Noses

Sep 14, 2016, 5:01:23 PM9/14/16
to qubes-users
Ok, as everybody was looking for a problem, I finally found one. I've been
bitten by this
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1770311 ("/etc/resolv.conf
missing once NetworkManager is stopped") and don't really know how to deal
with it right now in a way that does not require quite a bit of work.

Marek? Is NetworkManager necessary for a happy AppVM? Does anybody know what
this is good for and how to counter it?

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 14, 2016, 5:16:44 PM9/14/16
to Noses, qubes-users

Achim Patzner

Sep 14, 2016, 5:27:23 PM9/14/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 14.09.2016 um 23:16 schrieb Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> > Ok, as everybody was looking for a problem, I finally found one.
> I've been
> > bitten by this
> > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1770311
> ("/etc/resolv.conf
> > missing once NetworkManager is stopped") and don't really know how
> to deal
> > with it right now in a way that does not require quite a bit of work.
>
> > Marek? Is NetworkManager necessary for a happy AppVM? Does anybody
> know what
> > this is good for and how to counter it?
>
> No, it shouldn't be needed in AppVM, only in NetVM.

Nevertheless I've been bitten by this nonsense for some unknown reason;
maybe I've awoken some mummy in its grave when I added NM-based things
to the template in order to create a vpn proxy VM. No matter why, it
might be a good idea to add

rc-manager=file

to the [main] section of NetworkManager.conf to avoid running into it
suddenly. For something as unclean as a standard Linux system it is
ridiculous to suddenly start symlinking files around (and the generating
conflcts between systemd and NetworkManager – didn't anyone learn
anything from Apple's early problems with launchd?).

Achim

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 14, 2016, 7:16:55 PM9/14/16
to Achim Patzner, qubes...@googlegroups.com

J. Eppler

Sep 16, 2016, 12:41:37 AM9/16/16
to qubes-users, no...@noses.com
Is it a good idea to spend time on fedora 24? Fedora 25 should be released in November/December and will use Wayland per default. Would it not be better to skip Fedora 24 and focus on resources and efforts on Fedora 25?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 16, 2016, 4:37:17 AM9/16/16
to J. Eppler, qubes-users, no...@noses.com

Sebastian Jug

Sep 24, 2016, 11:04:54 PM9/24/16
to qubes-users, j.ep...@openmailbox.org, no...@noses.com
Split GPG does not work with Fedora 24. I upgraded my fedora-23 minimal gpg template to Fedora 24 and I just get:

[user@personal ~]$ qubes-gpg-client -K
/bin/sh: /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.Gpg: No such file or directory
EOF

It doesn't do the second prompt to allow access for the 300 seconds at all. What would cause this?

pixel fairy

Oct 10, 2016, 4:51:26 AM10/10/16
to qubes-users, j.ep...@openmailbox.org, no...@noses.com
does the new fedora24 template exist, or should we just update as your earlier message?

Zrubi

Oct 27, 2016, 3:51:17 AM10/27/16
On 09/06/2016 01:24 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> I've just tried this and successfully upgraded Fedora 23 to Fedora 24
> template.
>
> TL;DR version:
> 1. Clone fedora-23 to fedora-24-test.
> 2. Open terminal in fedora-24-test.
> 3. Run "dnf upgrade --releasever=24".
> 4. Shutdown the template.
> 5. Switch (some of?) VMs to this template.

Just tried to upgrade my templates and got this error:

Error: Transaction check error:
file /usr/lib64/libpython3.so from install of
system-python-libs-3.5.1-17.fc24.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
python3-libs-3.4.3-12.fc23.x86_64

Was not able to workaround it, because(?) those libs are used by dnf
itself :o

The official fedora upgrade way:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
seems not compatible with Qubes

any hints how to solve this?

Thanks.

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 27, 2016, 8:32:14 AM10/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/16/2016 04:41 AM, J. Eppler wrote:
> Is it a good idea to spend time on fedora 24? Fedora 25 should be released in November/December and will use Wayland per default. Would it not be better to skip Fedora 24 and focus on resources and efforts on Fedora 25?

We will not get to Fedora 25 in time, which means leaving our users with
F23, which will be unsupported by that time.

:-(

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 27, 2016, 9:02:27 AM10/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/06/2016 11:10 AM, Achim Patzner wrote:
> Some key bindings might have changed; ctrl-"+" in a terminal window
> increases the font size but the terminal window does not grow with it
> anymore.

Finally! The GNOME people finally unfucked Ctrl++!

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 27, 2016, 9:31:53 AM10/27/16
to Zrubi, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 27, 2016, 9:56:08 PM10/27/16

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 03:31:46PM +0200, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 09:50:56AM +0200, Zrubi wrote:
> > On 09/06/2016 01:24 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> >
> > > I've just tried this and successfully upgraded Fedora 23 to Fedora 24
> > > template.
> > >
> > > TL;DR version:
> > > 1. Clone fedora-23 to fedora-24-test.
> > > 2. Open terminal in fedora-24-test.
> > > 3. Run "dnf upgrade --releasever=24".
> > > 4. Shutdown the template.
> > > 5. Switch (some of?) VMs to this template.
> > >

> > Just tried to upgrade my templates and got this error:
> >

> > Error: Transaction check error:
> > file /usr/lib64/libpython3.so from install of
> > system-python-libs-3.5.1-17.fc24.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
> > python3-libs-3.4.3-12.fc23.x86_64
> >

> > Was not able to workaround it, because(?) those libs are used by dnf
> > itself :o
> >
> > The official fedora upgrade way:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
> > seems not compatible with Qubes
> >

> > any hints how to solve this?
>
> I haven't tried recently, but it worked before. Maybe a workaround would
> be to disable "updates" repository for the upgrade time? Just add
> --disablerepo=updates.

Or another idea: use `dnf distro-sync --releasever=24`, instead of `dnf
upgrade`. Not sure if that helps.

> I think it may be possible to use "official" upgrade method, by
> switching to pvgrub first:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/#using-kernel-installed-in-the-vm
> But in practice probably it will be more complex than just following
> that instructions... Maybe worth a try?

Actually, it looks like it almost works this way, even without switching
to pvgrub. The only problem is that we put "3" on kernel cmdline, which
forces systemd going into multi-user.target (instead of
system-update.target). This can be worked around by putting
"systemd.unit=system-update.target" on the template kernel command line
("kernelopts" property) before starting second phase of the upgrade. So
the procedure is:
1. Clone fedora-23 template to fedora-24.
2. Start fedora-24, launch terminal
3. Proceed with https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
4. Triggering a reboot will actually shutdown the template.
5. Add "systemd.unit=system-update.target" to kernel options of the
template.
6. Start fedora-24 template. It will fail to connect qrexec daemon, GUI
etc. But it will be running and performing the upgrade. Be patient, it
will take some time - for me it was about two hours on non-SSD machine.
There will be no progress information.
7. When upgrade is completed, template with automatically shutdown
itself. When it happens, remove "systemd.unit=system-update.target" from
kernel options.
8. Done.

I'll look into removing "3" from kernel command line - it would simplify
the above instruction (steps 5 and 7 will be unnecessary).

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Zrubi

Oct 28, 2016, 4:07:11 AM10/28/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Zrubi, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/27/2016 03:31 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> I haven't tried recently, but it worked before. Maybe a workaround would
> be to disable "updates" repository for the upgrade time? Just add
> --disablerepo=updates.

I do not understand the reason - but it was worked this way - thanks.

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Zrubi

Oct 28, 2016, 4:32:26 AM10/28/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I just celebrated to early :(

now it seems I'm running FC24 - but still have a lot of packages named:
*fc23*
including several qubes related.

And if i try to update the system got the same dependency error as
before :( Also noticed that the update skipping several packages because
boken dependencies - see the attached file "b"

distro-sync (and system-upgrade) also fails by broken dependencies - see
file "c"

--
Zrubi
signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 28, 2016, 4:46:12 AM10/28/16
to Zrubi, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Zrubi

Oct 28, 2016, 4:51:56 AM10/28/16
On 10/28/2016 10:46 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Wait a sec, qubes-gui-vm-3.1.7 ? Is this Qubes 3.1? We don't have fc24
> support there...

Well no. It is Qubes 3.2 - but a restored template.

Maybe I just messed up something related to 3.1 -> 3.2 upgrade?
However to template is working fine. I'm using it for a while for
production.

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 28, 2016, 5:20:07 AM10/28/16
to Zrubi, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 28, 2016, 5:28:38 AM10/28/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
We should not be putting 3 in the kernel command line, and we should not
be modifying the default target in qubes-core-vm-systemd either. What
we should do is do the necessary work to get the default system
configuration to work when we boot a VM into graphical.target (the
default). That way we avoid these integration issues.

I believe the correct thing to do is to create the necessary
configuration for the default display manager to start qubes-guid with
autologin. This will also give us a complete desktop session inside the
VM, and XDG autostart as well, as opposed to just a tiny stub that
doesn't have e.g. password manager environment or GPG agent.

This area is ripe for research, and it's time we matured in that
direction. Also noteworthy is that, with the move to Wayland, this sort
of work is very apropos.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Laszlo Zrubecz

Oct 28, 2016, 5:37:16 AM10/28/16
On 10/28/2016 11:20 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> It looks so... See here:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/#upgrade-all-template-and-standalone-vms

It was not made a difference - only the package versions changed, the
error is the same.

so I'm still stucked with broken dependencies :(

--
Laszlo Zrubecz
0x8F0E7BC6.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 28, 2016, 5:40:41 AM10/28/16
to Manuel Amador (Rudd-O), qubes...@googlegroups.com

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Oct 28, 2016, 5:44:17 AM10/28/16
to Laszlo Zrubecz, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Zrubi

Oct 28, 2016, 6:56:43 AM10/28/16
On 10/28/2016 11:44 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Or maybe
> it's still at 3.1 there (and the updated one saved in .rpmnew file)?

That was the case.
My templates are updated to fc24 now.

A few notes about this:

- skipping the template upgrade from 3.1 has no immediate visible
effect, easy to forget.

- the /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-r3.repo file hardcoded to Qubes versions,
and the upgrade not overwriting it if you made any change (enable more
repos for example)

- the short upgrade path (You discribed before) is working fine :)

Thanks for the fast response :)

--
Zrubi

signature.asc

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 28, 2016, 7:01:55 AM10/28/16
On 10/28/2016 09:40 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Actually yes, we may hook qubes-gui-agent.service into graphical.target
> and call it "display manager", preventing others from running. This is
> good idea, but something I'd like to avoid as a stable update - so, for
> Qubes 4.0.

Yes, this would be a good start.

>> I believe the correct thing to do is to create the necessary
>> configuration for the default display manager to start qubes-guid with
>> autologin. This will also give us a complete desktop session inside the
>> VM,
> This is exactly what we want to avoid. We don't want another window
> manager there (which would be fighting with the one in dom0), as well as
> a ton of other useless things like panels, clock icons etc. Excluding
> this crap makes Qubes VMs lightweight enough to run 20+ of them at the
> same machine.

I was not suggesting you run a window manager. Just a qubes-guid
session. No window manager whatsoever. Certainly not clocks, or
panels, or any of that shit.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/