Use of qubes question

Patrick Bouldin

Aug 2, 2017, 1:51:53 PM8/2/17
to qubes-users
Hi, I'm trying to use app vms to test an app called splunk..

Anyway, am I thinking about this correctly? This is what I did:

* I created a special template vm called - splunk-template

* I then downloaded the rpm package to that template's tmp folder

* I verified it was there.

* I then restarted the template.

* Then I created an appVM pointed to the splunk-template

I then looked in the /tmp folder and it wasn't there by name, here was the contents of that folder:

firefox_user qubes-session-env qubes-session-waiter ssh-fnBwiL4QxbUY systemd-private-1789b20d2d894850aa8d42bf8e0075f7-rtkit-daemon.service-d4xIHy

I thought I would be able to install it from the appVM at that point, is this some kind of security thing?

Am I even thinking about the process correctly? Because I want to be able to install it in different appVMs as part of my learning process.

Thanks.
Patrick

Chris Laprise

Aug 2, 2017, 2:40:26 PM8/2/17
to Patrick Bouldin, qubes-users
The /tmp folder would not hold onto files after a shutdown. You could
put the rpm in a folder like /opt, or you could install it into the
template with 'rpm -i'.

Or it may be simpler not to use a special template at all and put the
rpm in the /rw folder of the appVM.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett

Unman

Aug 2, 2017, 2:48:19 PM8/2/17
to Patrick Bouldin, qubes-users
Patrick,

there's a fundamental flaw in what you're doing.
Run 'mount' in a Template or an appVM, and you will see that /tmp is a tmpfs - it's stored in memory, not on disk.
So, I doubt it survived a reboot of the template, and it certainly wont
appear in a qube.

Apart from that you've done the right thing.

If you want to be able to use it store the file on the filesystem where
it WILL be inherited in a qube. (Not /usr/local as that is linked to
/rw/usrlocal in a qube.)

unman

Patrick Bouldin

Aug 2, 2017, 3:15:52 PM8/2/17
to qubes-users, pat...@runthisproject.com, tas...@openmailbox.org

Thanks Chris, I decided to go ahead and install it in the template. I had tried that once and had another problem, tried it again, same thing. Once installed I can't access the folder where it was created, which was the /opt/splunk/ folder, check this:

[user@fedora-24-work-splunk /]$ cd opt
[user@fedora-24-work-splunk opt]$ ls
google splunk
[user@fedora-24-work-splunk opt]$ cd splunk
bash: cd: splunk: Permission denied
[user@fedora-24-work-splunk opt]$ sudo cd splunk
[user@fedora-24-work-splunk opt]$ ls
google splunk
[user@fedora-24-work-splunk opt]$

So it didn't choke, no feedback, but I didn't get into the splunk directory...

What's happening?

Thanks, Patrick