QubesOS under VMware - I know I know ...

p.@.com

Sep 1, 2016, 10:31:15 AM9/1/16
to qubes-users
Hi all,

I am thinking of installing Qubesos on my laptop but before that I would like to play with it before installation. The only option I know is to install it under Vmware. I know this solution is not supported but for educational and learning purposes it would be good to be able to do that.
Does anybody know if this is possible ? I tried to install it under Vmware but it failed. Any workarounds ? I can even lower the security of QubesOS (if this is somehow possible) to achieve it - this is just for educational purposes.
Any help ?

Best regards
Przemek

Darko Vuković

Sep 1, 2016, 11:14:59 AM9/1/16
to qubes-users

I have managed to do this once but I wasn't able to repeat it for some reason...

Andrew David Wong

Sep 1, 2016, 2:20:45 PM9/1/16
to p.@.com, qubes-users

Drew White

Sep 1, 2016, 9:55:42 PM9/1/16
to qubes-users

If you want to put Qubes under VMWare, I recommend 3.0, it installs every time.

If you have a server, then install Qubes under ESXi, it's what I did, and I've not had issues doing it many times before I then put it onto my actual PC.
Qubes 2 also installs easily under VMWare, even on Player or Workstation on local PC. Just be sure you have enough Virtual HDD space for it. (32 GB+)

As for 3.2 I'm not sure, I just put it on my Laptop using an HDD I had lying around.

So that is 1 way you can accomplish this too.
- Get another HDD that you have lying around.
- Install onto that on your PC.
- Mount HDD under VMWARE.
- Clone HDD to virtual disk.

- Boot and start the VM with only the virtual disk.

This method has to sometimes be used, as I was told when I had issues at one point on my particular hardware (My laptop).

I did that, and it worked fine under VMWare Player 6.

On ESXi I installed directly on ESXi 5.5, worked first time.

So there are many options to get it working under VMWare.

p.@.com

Sep 2, 2016, 2:51:27 AM9/2/16
to qubes-users, p....@cmcmarkets.com
On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 7:20:45 PM UTC+1, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> Note that Qubes can be installed to a portable USB drive. It will run
> more slowly from such a device, but it can make testing more
> accessible, since it doesn't disturb your existing OS.
>
> At least one user has reported success with booting Qubes under
> VMware, but others have not been able to replicate these results:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2249

Thanks Andrew for the hint with USB. I imagine every time you reboot your laptop to run your disk installed OS you loose everything you configured in your USB-based Qubes ?

p.@.com

Sep 2, 2016, 2:53:33 AM9/2/16
to qubes-users
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 2:55:42 AM UTC+1, Drew White wrote:
> On ESXi I installed directly on ESXi 5.5, worked first time.

Which QubesOS version did you install on ESXi ?

Best regards
Przemek

Andrew David Wong

Sep 2, 2016, 4:34:06 AM9/2/16
to p.@.com, qubes-users

Drew White

Sep 4, 2016, 8:46:15 PM9/4/16
On Friday, 2 September 2016 16:51:27 UTC+10, p.@.com wrote:

> Thanks Andrew for the hint with USB. I imagine every time you reboot your laptop to run your disk installed OS you loose everything you configured in your USB-based Qubes ?

No, not at all. It was an installation, not a snapshot or anything, completely full.

On Friday, 2 September 2016 16:53:33 UTC+10, p.@.com wrote:
> Which QubesOS version did you install on ESXi ?

It was ESXi 5.5 IBM custom.

Drew White

Sep 4, 2016, 8:47:40 PM9/4/16
to qubes-users, p....@cmcmarkets.com
Also, if you install onto USB you can go to any PC and run it up.

You can take everything everywhere you go and have a secure system no matter what.