Videostream with Qubes??

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 1:44:38 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users
Hello!

i have problems with the most streams on the net.
Youtube is ok, but i suppose rather slow.

I think, this is the thing with flash, HTML5 and openH264.
H264 is deactivated and if i want to activate it, it seems to be not
possible.

Is it so, that HTML5 needs H264?
Or is it so, that i need flash for every other stream.
I tried also some links, that should be HTML5, but they were not
possible... maby they were not really in HTML5 or HTML5 does't work good.

Do somebody has an idea?

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 2:02:31 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, evol...@aliaks.de
try sudo nano /etc/qubes.guid.conf and add audio_low_latency = true; parameter to the VM used for movie watching (or add it to global variables).
Alternatively, install Google Chrome (Not Chromium) and use that.

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 2:08:37 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
hmm... i don't have qubes.guid.conf in etc, not in dom0 and not in the VM

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 2:10:40 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
Sorry, I meant /etc/qubes/guid.conf

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 2:23:33 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
ah, ok, thanks!
so i did add the new line under allow_fullscreen = true; by the VM, that
restarted the VM, but i think... nothing happens.
if i want to stream MP4, it comes the download, which i don't want at
all. So firefox wants to download it instead of streaming.

what i don't understand, what does audio have to do with stream?

i will try it with chrome (i don't like)

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 2:34:17 PM3/9/17
to Grzegorz Chodzicki, qubes-users

On 03/09/2017 08:27 PM, Grzegorz Chodzicki wrote:
> Video may stutter because video players and browsers automatically try
> to synchronize video with audio (to avoid desyncs) so if audio stutters,
> video will stutter as well. You may also want to try enable vertical
> blank synchronization in WIndow Manager tweaks.
>
> How does the formatting of the file look like? It should look like this:
> VM: {
> work: {
> audio_low_latency = true;
> };
> };
> Additionally, You need to restart the VM after changing its settings in
> the guid.conf file

are ok, so low latancy is usefull also on youtube... is there any
security problems with it?

what do you mean with "window manager tweaks"?
where can i find vertical blank synchronization?

the formating is like

VM: {
work: {
allow_fullscreen = true;
audio_low_latency = true;

};
};

i restarted the VM after change in quid.conf

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 2:37:53 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
IIRC this setting was used because having it on caused a CPU spike on older kernels. It shouldn't matter now

> what do you mean with "window manager tweaks"?
> where can i find vertical blank synchronization?

Go to System Tools > Window Manager Tweaks > Compositor > Synchronize drawing to vertical blank

> the formating is like
>
> VM: {
> work: {
> allow_fullscreen = true;
> audio_low_latency = true;
>
> };
> };
>
> i restarted the VM after change in quid.conf

Formatting looks good, You may want to try restarting the physical machine just in case.

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 3:01:12 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
restarted the PM... firefox wants still to download the MP4-stream...
i suppose that youtube runs better, quicker.. maby just my feeling and
not fact.

fedora don't have chrom in the sources, strange... i will try to install
it from google source or smth like that.

but is there no possibility to play stream on firefox??

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 3:11:51 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
You'll probably need to download appropriate codecs from the RPM Fusion repo. I remember having the same issue right after I installed Qubes on my machine. Now Firefox plays fine all web content.

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 3:41:02 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
so i added the repos from RPM Fusion, but what should i install?

i've tried this stuff:

sudo yum install gstreamer gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-bad
gstreamer-plugins-bad-free gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree
gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly
gstreamer-plugin-crystalhd gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld
gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free gstreamer1-plugins-good gstreamer1-libav ffmpeg

but it is not on server or already installed

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 5:12:42 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
Pepperflash?

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 5:19:23 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
pepperflashplugin-nonfree?

can not be found (with RPM Fusion sources)

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 5:26:29 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
Frankly, I don't remember which package it was. Have You tried enabling HTML5 player in Youutbe settings?

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 5:28:24 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
youtube is ok, but some streaming-sites not.
but, as i said, i dont really know, if these sites use HTML5 or Flash...
i thought it was HTML5 and was wondering, why has youtube no problem but
other sites do.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 5:45:16 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
That is actually not a Qubes-specific issue, this has to do with Flash no longer being supported on linux by Adobe. Try these sites on Google Chrome (which has its own Flash plugin).

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 5:50:32 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
ah, ok. So it is more secure to use chrome for flash-sites, because i
must not install the stupid flash on the template-VM, isn't it?

so i will try to install chrome, thanks!

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 6:13:17 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
I just setup a StandaloneVM just for Chrome to protect my TemplateVM from Google. Works fine. Remember to set the audio low latency for Chrome VM as well.

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 6:15:55 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
so you do not install chrome in your template but in you VM?
but how can you install it constantly?
because after restart, every installation in the VM is away.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 9, 2017, 6:20:29 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
In regular AppVM yes, in StandaloneVM installed software persists across reboots.

evo

Mar 9, 2017, 6:25:33 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
ok, thanks! I will try that way.

sm8ax1

Mar 9, 2017, 8:05:41 PM3/9/17
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users, evol...@aliaks.de
Actually, Adobe got a wild hare and decided to revive Flash for Linux
after a four year hiatus (v23 from v11.2). This source also suggests
that Firefox will support the NPAPI version. It warns that the NPAPI
version has limited features and doesn't support things like hardware
acceleration or DRM. I know there are working packages of v24 or so
under Mint and Arch, other distros might be another story (but you can
probably `make install` if you have to).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3116409/linux/adobe-revives-flash-for-firefox-on-linux-after-axing-it-four-years-ago.html

There are also alternatives like Gnash, Lightspark, Shumway, etc.

https://www.linux.com/learn/weekend-project-open-source-alternatives-adobe-flash-linux

Shumway does the emulation internally and exists only as a Firefox
extension, so it's very easy to install and see if it works on your
desired site.

http://www.areweflashyet.com/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Shumway

Realistically Chrome is the most likely one to work, I just wanted to
mention these in case it doesn't or another one is better suited.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

cooloutac

Mar 9, 2017, 11:43:37 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, evol...@aliaks.de

whats the templatevm its based on fedora or debian? If fedora you have to enable rpmfusion and install gstreamer package to get that format. I forget exactly which one though man. I think i posted about it here once i;ll t ry tolook.

cooloutac

Mar 9, 2017, 11:45:16 PM3/9/17
to qubes-users, evol...@aliaks.de

evo

Mar 10, 2017, 4:11:26 AM3/10/17
to sm8ax1, Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users
thanks!
actually i don't want to have flash because of the security... but in a
standalone machine it would be ok, think so..

now i have installed chrome and it works, so the site doesn't seem to
have HTML5.

i will try shumway for firefox.

the thing why i don't like to use chrome is google... i dont think, you
can stop chrome from speaking to the google servers.

thanks for the links!

evo

Mar 10, 2017, 4:14:22 AM3/10/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users
i run fedora 23 on it, rpm fusion is almost on... but i can not find
gstreamer1-libav on the server... strange

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 10, 2017, 5:39:41 AM3/10/17
to qubes-users, sm8...@vfemail.net, grzegorz....@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de
If we knew the IP addresses or domain names we could block them on Qubes firewall

Holger Levsen

Mar 10, 2017, 6:45:44 AM3/10/17
to qubes-users
Pleeeeeeeeeeease, don't quote 120 lines when writing such a mail. Giving some
context is great, but please take some time when composing mails, so that *all*
the recipients of your mail save some time when reading… it takes like 2 seconds
to remove unneeded context and makes reading so much easier and more fun.

And this was a general plea, nothing specificly directed at Grzesiek.

Thanks already.

--
cheers,
Holger

cooloutac

Mar 10, 2017, 1:18:56 PM3/10/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de

hmm... did you install both rpm fusion free and nonfree? Im not sure which one its in.

Also make sure you looking gstreamer1 and not gstreamer.

Its in there somewhere and it will play the mp4 streams on firefox without flash. Maybe just search gstreamer1 and scroll through the list maybe I spelled it wrong. look for the libav one.

https://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=gstreamer1-libav

evo

Mar 10, 2017, 6:17:37 PM3/10/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users
hmm... now i checked it again... i have gstreamer1-1.6.4-1 already
installed... but firefox still do not want to play,.... hmmm

cooloutac

Mar 10, 2017, 8:22:51 PM3/10/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de

weird. you installed the gstreamer1-libav package? It doesn't have that version number, the libav package is something seperate. You need to install that specific package it is def in rpmfusion repos. I don't believe you need any other gstreamer package to stream mp4 but you might. maybe ffmpeg, but idoubt it.

cooloutac

Mar 10, 2017, 8:24:36 PM3/10/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de

you can also try using a debian template instead and see if firefox stream the mp4 by default but if not you will need the same package but maybe its easier to find and install from debian repo.

evo

Mar 11, 2017, 9:54:33 AM3/11/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users
fedora is weird... maby because i always worked with debian.
if i look in the software center, then i see gstreamer-extra
installed... gstreamer-libav is listed but i can not install it there...
is there somewhere a block for other sources?

if i go to see the software-sources of the software center, so i see RPM
Fusion free updates and nonfree updates

i also deinstalled the other gstreamer

i made a new standalone VM with debian and there i have
gstreamer1.0-libav (this is the whole name), so the stream works with
firefox now. How can i check, if any flash is installed?

evo

Mar 11, 2017, 9:57:55 AM3/11/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users
after i tried to deinstall the other gstreamer on fedora template, i can
not start the template anymore... with the fail: can not start
qrexec-daemon. WTF???

cooloutac

Mar 11, 2017, 10:16:29 AM3/11/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de

I would use the terminal in the template instead to install packages, for example:
sudo dnf install gstreamer1-libav

to remove a package for example:
sudo dnf remove gstreamer1-libav

to search for one

sudo dnf search gstreamer

strange, not sure why the template is not starting now if you uninstalled a gstreamer package. Did any other packages get removed along with it?

evo

Mar 11, 2017, 10:17:52 AM3/11/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users
i think not, i did it over the software center.
can not start any fedora VM now if i restart the running ones.

cooloutac

Mar 11, 2017, 10:19:48 AM3/11/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de

you can check for flash in firefox by typing about:plugins and see if shockwave flash islisted.

cooloutac

Mar 11, 2017, 10:20:38 AM3/11/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de

did you hustdown the template first?

evo

Mar 11, 2017, 10:22:47 AM3/11/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users
yes i shutdown the template, now i have still run some fedora templates,
but if i restart them, they will not start.

cooloutac

Mar 11, 2017, 10:26:42 AM3/11/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com, evol...@aliaks.de

not sure why man, see if rebooting the machine helps. if that don;t work hopefully someone else can help u debug it.

For future though I would use terminal to install and remove packages just in case. And Always make sure it does not remove extra packages you might need.

Noses

Mar 12, 2017, 9:57:49 AM3/12/17
to Holger Levsen, qubes-users

Maybe you should have taken a spoonful of your own medicine instead of moronically quoting the entire mail you complained about. This was rather the pot calling the kettle black and didn't improve the public opinion about you.

> And this was a general plea, nothing specificly directed at Grzesiek.

So it's even stranger that you were not following your own advice.

Achim