snap issues, related to the filesystem outside of ~/ ?

Stumpy

Jun 10, 2021, 5:46:05 PM6/10/21
to Qubes users
I tried installing snaps in a debian template and then

but while it ran fine the first time, after restarting it stopped working. As I wanted to be sure it was not a qubes issue I posted on the snapcraft forum and the question they asked that made me think it was qubes related was

   "Is this being run inside a container? It seems to imply that either /dev or /tmp/snap.rootfs_IeI049/ do not exist, but previously in the log the tmp dir was created by snap-confine"

So, AFAIK i installed it according to the qubes instructions but am getting various errors that are starting to point to the ephemeral nature of appvms (only the home dir is retained).

Anyone know how to fix this?

unman

Jun 11, 2021, 8:25:50 AM6/11/21
to Qubes users
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 09:45:59PM +0000, Stumpy wrote:

> I tried installing snaps in a debian template and then
>
> but while it ran fine the first time, after restarting it stopped
> working. As I wanted to be sure it was not a qubes issue I posted on the
> snapcraft forum [1] and the question they asked that made me think it
> was qubes related was
>
> _"Is this being run inside a container? It seems to imply that either
> /dev or /tmp/snap.rootfs_IeI049/ do not exist, but previously in the log
> the tmp dir was created by snap-confine"_
>
> So, AFAIK i installed it according to the qubes instructions [2] but am
> getting various errors that are starting to point to the ephemeral
> nature of appvms (only the home dir is retained).
>
> Anyone know how to fix this?
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/authy-snap-error-cannot-perform-operation-mount-rbind/24932
> [2]
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-domu/#installing-snap-packages

Snaps now litter across the file system, so are no longer the
user-specific install they seemed to be.
I don't think there is a simple fix - you cant use bind-dirs for the
devices under /dev, and I'm guessing the /tmp directory is created per
boot.

Stumpy

Jun 11, 2021, 10:35:19 AM6/11/21
to unman, Qubes users
Thanks unman, its a pity, i very much prefer just using a repo, or
perhaps a flatpak but there are some apps (authy in this case) that i
cant seem to install any other way... maybe wine but not sure its worth
the hassle?