Hardware Report & "fast SSD" Question

tsc....@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2020, 4:08:06 AM3/25/20
to qubes-users
Hi - I didn't see my laptop in the list so looked everything up. It seems the Lenovo Ideapad 131 151KB supports everything but SSD. I assume I would have to replace my internal hard drive with the SSD since an external SSD would, I assume, get bottlenecked by any USB connection to the motherboard. I need Qubes for only a few select simple tasks that require few resources, so my question is - could I get by under these conditions or is SSD considered absolutely necessary? Thanks for any advice!

haaber

Mar 25, 2020, 4:15:25 AM3/25/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi qubes does work without ssd (my first installs did not have one). But
speed, especially booting-times (xen & vm's) are 3-4 times longer. If
you open a temporary vm every minute, that is annoying, but for 'normal'
use no ssd is required to my best knowedge. Just a bit of patience :)
Bernhard

unman

Mar 25, 2020, 8:20:46 AM3/25/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Second this - you can indeed use HDD and Qubes will work fine. For what
you describe it will work well.
You wont need to *make* a cup of coffee while opening a new qube, but
perhaps *take a sip* .
A while back I posted comparison times between SSD and HDD, RAM - you'll
see that the HDD is slower but works

Incidentally, working off USB is (relatively) fine. I have a few sticks
including a live Qubes that runs in RAM and they all perform fine. For
your use case dont exclude that.

unman