Xen doesn't recognize that a VM has finished starting

tetra...@danwin1210.me

Jan 14, 2020, 7:29:29 AM1/14/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have a HVM VM that I'm trying to set up as a new sys-net.

However, when I boot it, Xen / Qubes doesn't seem to recognize that the domain has finished starting.

The Qubes menu at the top right shows the red circling progress logo, even though the domain has booted already.

When I try to start another VM which has been set to use the new-sys-net VM as its NetVM, the startup times out and I get the error "libxenlight has
failed to create new domain NEWVM"...

/var/log/xen/console/guest-NEWSYSNET-dm.log doesn't show anything obviously wrong, apart from some call traces of unclear origin.

Claudia

Jan 15, 2020, 6:22:17 PM1/15/20
to tetra...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Not sure, but it sounds like maybe the guest's qrexec isn't connecting to the host. Make sure it's installed and running properly in the guest. Check `systemctl status qubes-qrexec-agent.service` in the guest, and /var/log/qubes/qrexec.<VM>.log on dom0.

tetra...@danwin1210.me

Jan 15, 2020, 9:27:53 PM1/15/20
to Claudia, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 11:22:12PM +0000, Claudia wrote:
>> When I try to start another VM which has been set to use the new-sys-net VM as its NetVM, the
>> startup times out and I get the error "libxenlight has
>> failed to create new domain NEWVM"...
>>
>> /var/log/xen/console/guest-NEWSYSNET-dm.log doesn't show anything obviously wrong, apart from some
>> call traces of unclear origin.
>
>Not sure, but it sounds like maybe the guest's qrexec isn't connecting to the host. Make sure it's installed and running properly in the guest. Check `systemctl status qubes-qrexec-agent.service` in the guest, and /var/log/qubes/qrexec.<VM>.log on dom0.

That's very possible. The guest is OpenBSD so no systemctl :)

Here is the other discussion about this, I have not yet gotten a chance
to try the suggested fix, but I anticipate that it will work:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5294#issuecomment-574225742