redshift or brightness control?

rec wins

Dec 10, 2019, 2:09:25 AM12/10/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
hello, is there a way to install and use redshift or any brightness
control for dom0, which I assume is where the package would have to go,
I get blinded in the evening, and manually changing monitor brightness
isn't practical.... TIA

beppo

Dec 10, 2019, 2:33:10 AM12/10/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 10.12.19 um 08:09 schrieb rec wins:
> hello, is there a way to install and use redshift or any brightness
> control for dom0, which I assume is where the package would have to go

That's right, you have to install it to dom0 (on your own risk). Just run
$ sudo qubes-dom0-update redshift
in dom0. (add also redshift-gtk for gtk-support.

rec wins

Dec 10, 2019, 12:56:28 PM12/10/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I was under the impression , esp since dom0 is Fedora 25 to "never
install anything" in dom0 but OK,

is/are there any other helpful utilities people install in dom0 that are
"safe"

shroobi

Dec 11, 2019, 11:58:54 AM12/11/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I second redshift. I also like having a graphical text editor.

It's true that Qubes warns against adding packages to dom0, but the choice is yours. I
rarely install anything to dom0, but when I do I only choose well-known packages with few
or no dependencies.

rec wins

Dec 12, 2019, 1:21:25 AM12/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
so $sudo dnf install redshift-gtk ?

seems to not be the package name , hmm

shroobi

Dec 12, 2019, 9:35:25 AM12/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> so $sudo dnf install redshift-gtk ?
>
> seems to not be the package name , hmm

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update redshift-gtk

The dnf command is only used for removing packages.

rec wins

Dec 12, 2019, 11:23:01 AM12/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
do you invoke it from command line? if so, may I ask with what command
argument ?

via xfce menu "failed to run redshift, trying location provider
'geoclue2' ,

maybe because dom0 has no access to the world or something ?

sorry if this might be more redshift-y than qubes-y

shroobi

Dec 12, 2019, 1:01:13 PM12/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> > $ sudo qubes-dom0-update redshift-gtk
> >
> > The dnf command is only used for removing packages.
> >

> do you invoke it from command line? if so, may I ask with what command
> argument ?

I invoke it via the session and startup preferences in system tools, so it loads every
time Qubes starts. There's an also an entry in Dom0's application menu.
> via xfce menu "failed to run redshift, trying location provider
> 'geoclue2' ,
>
> maybe because dom0 has no access to the world or something ?

That's right. Geoclue2 won't work, but you can set the provider to "manual" and enter
your location coordinates. You can put those settings in a file at
~/.local/redshift.conf. See the redshift man page for all the options.

> sorry if this might be more redshift-y than qubes-y

No worries, I had the same problem myself at one time.

Sven Semmler

Dec 13, 2019, 10:23:48 AM12/13/19
to rec wins, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 08:20:27PM -1000, rec wins wrote:
> so $sudo dnf install redshift-gtk ?

sudo qubes-dom0-update redshift

/Sven

--
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6

signature.asc