Got new hardware coming

Stuart Perkins

Aug 13, 2019, 7:42:52 PM8/13/19
to qubes-users
I have commissioned the creation of a coreboot Lenovo W520.

It is already running Qubes 4.x, but I will likely do a reinstall just for the experience and to put it together with my GUI of choice etc...

I will have a 240+GB SSD for the main OS and certain VM's.

I will move my 2TB hdd over and set it up for the data areas which are just plain too big for the SSD, much like I have my current setup.

It has the Nvidia graphics which loses the ability to run the VGA port without a blob I don't want to include in it, so external monitors will have to be USB driven.

It will be equipped with 16GB of RAM as well initially, then I will up it to 24 in order to save 8 for this machine, which I will commission as a backup server for my home network (not running qubes, but it is is still core booted...and I will be running Debian with VirtualBox VM's for various things...like I did before Qubes and like I do now of my current home "server".

I will finally get off of Qubes 3.2... ;)

I have not been actually reading the 4.0 messages here, but I have been downloading them and will read through them for any issues I have before bugging folks here...other than an up front question:

Is there any known issues with a corebooted W520 and Qubes 4.x?

Stuart

Stuart Perkins

Aug 19, 2019, 9:34:42 AM8/19/19
to qubes-users
Well, a snag. Evidently the newer kernel is not respecting the power management instructions on the boot params, and keeps wanting to lockup. The guy building it for me is working on a work around. If we can't get coreboot to work I may be stuck with an earlier model such as a T420 as my next box. I was really wanting the 32gb ram capacity of the W520...

I consider the qubes model most secure without any blobs or (ak) the hardware vendor bios. I may have to be keep a blob for the video in order to get the W520 working...

We really need a target built system for coreboot/qubes for the best security. It needs to require ZERO blobs for most security.

I'll keep you posted with the results.

Stuart