WARNING: don't update qubes, will break your install

dro...@gmail.com

May 25, 2019, 4:55:44 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users
I just finished a fresh install of Qubes, then updated dom0, fedora template, debian template, whonix gw and ws templates, as per instructions on

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/installation-guide/

Shutdown, boot.

Qubes won't let me login. Same problem as in my other post.

unman

May 25, 2019, 9:05:29 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users
Nothing wrong with updates on my systems.
What's your hardware?
Did you reboot and log in successfully before updating the system?

May 25, 2019, 9:22:11 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users

Hi unman, thanks for responding.

Yes, I did a fresh install, went fine. Rebooted fine. Updated dom0 and all templates fine. After restart, something is broken. I guess my hardware doesn't like the latest update.

ASUS G73Jh 213 laptop
Q7...@1.73GHz i7 quadcore
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5870

It's an older laptop, bought it in 2010. BIOS updated to final before they stopped supporting. Too bad, it runs Qubes great.

It gets stuck in a loop, right before login screen, keeps switching from text mode to GUI and back. Is there a way to force into console mode on qubes? That could be useful.

Otherwise, I can do a fresh install again, but not a good idea to run the shipping 4.01 without updating templates, especially the Debian, which I do use.

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

dro...@gmail.com

May 25, 2019, 9:32:53 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users
I just noticed on the Fedora forums they released Fedora 30 today.

Qubes runs Fedora 29, so I don't know if today's updates had anything to do with f30, but it might be related. Checking to see if anyone else on fedora forums has similar issue as mine.

dro...@gmail.com

May 25, 2019, 9:43:26 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users
I did a full backup a week ago. I think I'll do another fresh install, then restore it to last week.

I lost a week's worth of work. That's what I get for slacking on backups.

I'll have to hold off on ANY updates, until I hear something on this issue.

unman

May 25, 2019, 9:57:02 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users
Are you able to boot in to QUbes using an older Xen/kernel combination?
You should be able to select this at the boot menu.

dro...@gmail.com

May 25, 2019, 10:16:22 PM5/25/19
to qubes-users
Yes, that worked. I'm back to a fresh install.

I didn't know we could do that. Damn, I was a little hasty formatting my drive. That's okay, I didn't lose much.

If I try upgrading again, it will break again. Maybe whatever fedora broke will get fixed in the coming weeks. I don't like the idea of running without updates.

I can restore backups to last week, then just wait and see if any fixes come out.

Антон Чехов

May 26, 2019, 4:40:27 AM5/26/19
to qubes-users

I've been updating my system regularly since moving from Qubes3.2 to Qubes4 and never had any issues so far (default kernel is 4.19.45-1 at the moment) even with testing repos enabled.

I did have to check some VM for using the latest kernel (and change manually) even when I had chosen the latest one in the global settings already. But that might have been a mistake on my part - I can't really say anymore.

So, when updating dom0 via terminal you can see if the older kernels are being erased or if they are still in use somewhere.
I've read that maybe you could run out of space but that never happened to me and I keep looking that all my VM are using the latest kernel.

Andrew David Wong

May 26, 2019, 6:07:38 PM5/26/19
to dro...@gmail.com, qubes-users

brenda...@gmail.com

May 26, 2019, 9:54:40 PM5/26/19
to qubes-users
Guess I lucked out by using kernel-latest this time...

dro...@gmail.com

May 26, 2019, 10:17:55 PM5/26/19
to qubes-users
On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 6:54:40 PM UTC-7, brend...@gmail.com wrote:
> Guess I lucked out by using kernel-latest this time...

It's working fine now. They had a new kernel that doesn't like old ATI Radeon video cards. The kernel was removed from updates.

Hopefully in the future, somebody will make sure the kernel doesn't break the old video cards again.

Andrew David Wong

May 26, 2019, 10:21:54 PM5/26/19
to dro...@gmail.com, qubes-users

dro...@gmail.com

May 27, 2019, 12:28:37 PM5/27/19
to qubes-users

I'll join the testing.

I was reading about those testing repositories yesterday. Now that I'm used to doing reinstalls :) I might as well try it out. That's what backups are for.

However, one of my backups failed to restore, errors. I'm hoping when they upgrade the qubes backup/restore software, they can improve reliability and fault recovery. It's a shame that one error prevents the rest of the restore. Now I'm going to start backing up each qube separately, making many small backups, and run verify every time. There's got to be a better way.

Andrew David Wong

May 27, 2019, 6:08:19 PM5/27/19
to dro...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On 27/05/2019 11.28 AM, dro...@gmail.com wrote:

> This will happen if users who have such video cards test updates
> and provide feedback on updates-status:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/testing/
>

> I'll join the testing.
>
> I was reading about those testing repositories yesterday. Now that
> I'm used to doing reinstalls :) I might as well try it out. That's
> what backups are for.
>
> However, one of my backups failed to restore, errors. I'm hoping
> when they upgrade the qubes backup/restore software, they can
> improve reliability and fault recovery.

Please report this bug if it hasn't already been reported. The
improvements you seek will not happen if the developers are not aware
of the problems you're experiencing.

> It's a shame that one error prevents the rest of the restore. Now
> I'm going to start backing up each qube separately, making many
> small backups, and run verify every time. There's got to be a
> better way.

FWIW, I use qvm-backup every day, and I've found it pretty reliable.
If you're making very large backups, try forgoing compression to see
if that makes a difference.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Jon deps

May 28, 2019, 2:37:07 PM5/28/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
for the record from the github

qubes-bot said

The package kernel-4.19.46-3.pvops.qubes has been pushed to the r4.0
testing repository for dom0.
To test this update, please install it with the following command:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing

I did a dom0 update but haven't rebooted yet, I am at uptime of 10
days, shall I install over the top of the last dom0 update with
the above ???

personally I don't even backup 1x/month, but then I am not creating very
many files locally

those are in the Vault , and rarely do I add anything to it ....

I can't recall the last dom0 reinstall , nice thing is I can fail on
the Templates and just reinstall those .... akin to borking a computer
OS, without the risk to my local files as they live in the AppVMs :)

Jon deps

May 28, 2019, 2:40:10 PM5/28/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 5/26/19 1:32 AM, drokmed-Re5JQEe...@public.gmane.org wrote:
> I just noticed on the Fedora forums they released Fedora 30 today.
>
> Qubes runs Fedora 29, so I don't know if today's updates had anything to do with f30, but it might be related. Checking to see if anyone else on fedora forums has similar issue as mine.

Are you saying you think your Fedora-29 template caused your dom0
domain to fail ?

afaik the Qubes Fedora-29 template is not going to auto update to
Fedora-30 like with $dnf upgrade or something

dro...@gmail.com

May 28, 2019, 3:08:31 PM5/28/19
to qubes-users

I see the new kernel is back in the dom0 repository, same name/version, no idea if it's a fix or the original.

I spent the whole weekend getting my laptop working again, not ready to break it again. I'll hold off a few days on this one. Work to do.