VPN-setup ''mv: cannot stat ... No such file or directory''

alexander...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2018, 4:40:24 PM10/22/18
to qubes-users
Hello,

I am trying to follow this guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Qubes/comments/6h4ue2/guide_setting_up_a_vpn_with_mullvad_on_qubes/

But I am not using mullvad, I am using Nordvpn. But I've been told this guide should be compatible.

I am on the secound part of stage 3:

-

Start your VPN-Proxy-VM and run:

sudo mkdir /rw/config/vpn

Move your .ovpn file into this folder by typing:

mv openvpn-client.ovpn /rw/config/vpn/openvpn-client.ovpn

-

mv openvpn-client.ovpn /rw/config/vpn/openvpn-client.ovpn command does not work. I get this error:

mv: cannot stat 'openvpn-client.ovpn': No such file or directory

If I have understood this right it should automatically find this file in my /home/user/Downloads folder. My Nordvpn config file was named something different, but I renamed it correcly to ''openvpn-client.ovpn''.

I am lost, I don't know how to solve this.

alexander...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2018, 4:41:13 PM10/22/18
to qubes-users
Also I want to mention that I am on Qubes 3.2 and used a Debian proxyvm

Chris Laprise

Oct 22, 2018, 8:27:49 PM10/22/18
to alexander...@gmail.com, qubes-users
This is just a rehash of the official Qubes instructions, though it
introduces security risk by pulling scripts from pastebin.

A more foolproof way to setup your VPN is to run this in a new proxyVM:

https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support/

Its better in all regards than the old scripts, including ease of use.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

alexander...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 9:46:00 AM10/23/18
to qubes-users

Hi,

Thanks for you answer, but will I be as safe?

Chris Laprise

Oct 23, 2018, 10:24:27 AM10/23/18
to alexander...@gmail.com, qubes-users
The safety features are at least as good as the old scripts (I wrote the
old and the new ones).

In terms of trust, the Qubes-vpn-support code is signed by me and you
can verify the signature if you wish. This is better than grabbing it
from pastebin pages. There are also dozens of Qubes users who have used
it to setup their VPNs, and it is often discussed here on the mailing list.

unman

Oct 23, 2018, 10:29:29 AM10/23/18
to qubes-users
Whatever route you decide to take, the problem you have here is that the
instructions aren't clear, and 'mv' doesn't work as you think it does.

Your target file is in /home/user/Downloads, but you are in /home/user.
'mv' expects you to specify a file to move. If you don't give an absolute
path then it works relative to where you are.
So your command is looking for a file in /home/user, but the file is
in /home/user/Downloads. That's why it says "No such file".
'mv' will not look about and "find the file" - you need to tell it where the file is.

alexander...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 11:05:51 AM10/23/18
to qubes-users

Hi, what an honor to get a reply direcly from you then! :-)

Thanks, I will be following this guide. If I get any issues, I hope you can find the time to help me out. I would very much appreciate it since I'm very new.

alexander...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 11:08:51 AM10/23/18
to qubes-users
Den tisdag 23 oktober 2018 kl. 16:29:29 UTC+2 skrev unman:

If I understood you correcly if I would want to type such a command, I would need to type...

mv /home/user/Downloads/openvpn-client.ovpn /rw/config/vpn/openvpn-client.ovpn

Would I need to type anything between the two different dirs?

unman

Oct 23, 2018, 11:13:01 AM10/23/18
to qubes-users
Hello Alexander

Chris has offered another "packaged" solution which works well.

You can learn a good deal more by doing it yourself if you aim to
understand what you are doing rather than just following instructions.
If you do use the guide, and don't understand anything or hit problems
just mail here and someone will help out.

Best luck

unman

unman

Oct 23, 2018, 11:25:11 AM10/23/18
to qubes-users
That's exactly right.
You can use a relative path also - if you are in /home/user then :
mv Downloads/openvpn-client.ovpn /rw/config/vpn/openvpn-client.ovpn
will work.

Also ~ is a shortcut for your home directory.

mv ~/Downloads/openvpn-client.ovpn /rw/config/vpn/openvpn-client.ovpn

. means "the directory Im in"
.. means the directory up

alexander...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 11:52:00 AM10/23/18
to qubes-users

Thanks Unman for your followups, but I'm still getting some errors.

Also thanks for the ~ explanation, I didn't understand that until now.

I am following Chris guide: https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support/

But I am stuck at secound stage: sudo unzip ~/ovpn-configs-example.zip

First of all, my config file from Nordvpn is a .ovpn file (text document), but I do have a installation .deb file (nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb) which has a package icon like an zip file. Both these files are in my ~/Downloads directory.

When I type:

sudo unzip ~/Downloads/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb

... it says this:

unzip: cannot find or open /home/user/Downloads/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb, /home/user/Downloads/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb.zip or /home/user/Downloads/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb.ZIP.

I think it's telling me that the .deb package is not a zip file which I suspected. I tried doing this with the config file I got from here:

https://nordvpn.com/sv/ovpn/

But I got the exact same result but error changed to the config files name, same directories.

alexander...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2018, 12:09:26 PM10/23/18
to qubes-users

I went ahead and tried with this guide since I ran into that issue on the guide Chris linked: https://www.reddit.com/r/Qubes/comments/6h4ue2/guide_setting_up_a_vpn_with_mullvad_on_qubes/

When running this:

mv ~/Downloads/openvpn-client.ovpn /rw/config/vpn/openvpn-client.ovpn

(I had renamed the config file to openvpn-client.ovpn and also ran a cd /rw/config/vpn before).

I get this error:

mv: cannot stat '/home/user/Downloads/openvpn-client.ovpn': No such file or directory

Whatever I try the terminal cannot find my files in the Downloads directory.

Chris Laprise

Oct 23, 2018, 1:49:48 PM10/23/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
The "deb" indicates it is a custom program written by NordVPN. You
should probably avoid this since NordVPN probably doesn't adjust their
code for Qubes networking (there will be DNS and security problems). The
Qubes-vpn-support page links to a NordVPN page that contains only the
openvpn configs in zip form, which is what you want.

Also, this step cannot be taken verbatim, since different VPN providers
will have differently-named files. This requires enough familiarity with
the Linux shell to be able to interpret what the exact unzip or copy
commands should be. The gist of this step is that you should obtain ovpn
configs from your provider, put them in /rw/config/vpn, and make sure
one of them appears there as "vpn-client.conf" which is what the "ln"
link command is for (but you can use "cp" instead of "ln" if you wish).

I'd also advise you not to try performing more than one solution at the
same time as this only causes confusion.