Audio and suspend issues; misc questions

AJ Jordan

Aug 16, 2018, 2:56:41 PM8/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've just recently installed Qubes on a brand-new System76 Oryx Pro
(it's on my list to send an HCL report soon). It's working ok overall
but I've run into a couple of issues and questions and was hoping for
some help resolving them. I'm including most of them all in one email
in an attempt to flood people's inboxes less; hope that's okay.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's the
way it goes :P

Cheers,

-AJ

=== SOUND ===

Audio output does not work. Playing audio in an AppVM and running
`pavucontrol` in dom0 clearly shows the little volume indicator for
the VM fluctuating, but nothing actually comes out of the speakers. So
it seems like VM PulseAudio -> dom0 PulseAudio is working OK, but dom0
PulseAudio isn't outputting anything.

All volumes in the "Playback" tab are set to 100% and are unmuted. In
the "Output Devices" tab, it's unmuted and set to 100%, and I can see
the volume indicator going up and down. Plugging in headphones does
not help.

Some system information:

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device a348 (rev 10)

$ ls /sys/class/sound/
card0 controlC0 hwC0D0 pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p pcmC0D1p seq timer

I'm on a mostly fresh Qubes 4.0 install (this issue was present as
soon as I installed).

=== SUSPEND ===

Resuming from suspend does not work. I just get a black screen (IIRC
it *does* turn on, but remains blank; I can retest if desired but
obviously it's annoying to do so). The computer remains unresponsive
at that point and I have to hold down the power button. Honestly, I'm
not even sure where to start diagnosing this issue. I'd be happy to do
anything that might provide more information.

=== DOM0 SOFTWARE ===

It's unclear to me exactly how bad I should feel installing stuff into
dom0. Specifically, I've installed a program called Redshift[1]
through qubes-dom0-update (i.e. the Fedora repos).

It's my understanding that this *should* be okay, because the software
is coming from a trusted source (Fedora), and isn't being exposed to
VMs in any way. Is that correct?

[1]: http://jonls.dk/redshift/

=== DETACHING USB BLOCK DEVICES ===

If I attach a USB block device to a Qube and mount then unmount the
filesystem, do I really need to detach the block device from the Qube?
Or can I just pull the drive?

awokd

Aug 17, 2018, 4:55:00 PM8/17/18
to AJ Jordan, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, August 16, 2018 6:56 pm, AJ Jordan wrote:

> === SOUND ===

> All volumes in the "Playback" tab are set to 100% and are unmuted. In
> the "Output Devices" tab, it's unmuted and set to 100%, and I can see the
> volume indicator going up and down. Plugging in headphones does not help.

Check the Configuration tab all the way to the right, too. If that still
doesn't help, and you have more than one output device listed, try to
disable the ones you aren't using completely. That said, I had one AMD
card where HDMI out worked with Qubes, and another model that I could
never get it to work.

> === SUSPEND ===

Common issue but no common fix, unfortunately.

> === DOM0 SOFTWARE ===
>

> It's unclear to me exactly how bad I should feel installing stuff into
> dom0. Specifically, I've installed a program called Redshift[1] through
> qubes-dom0-update (i.e. the Fedora repos).

It's so-so; ideally the less software in dom0 the better but that one
seems pretty benign.

> === DETACHING USB BLOCK DEVICES ===
>

> If I attach a USB block device to a Qube and mount then unmount the
> filesystem, do I really need to detach the block device from the Qube? Or
> can I just pull the drive?

In theory you can just pull it, but I like to do the detach. Maybe just
for good luck?