USB Device Question

Stuart Perkins

Apr 15, 2018, 3:34:25 PM4/15/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have the following setup:

Qubes 3.2, xfce4 interface
sys-usb

I want to be able to connect my Android phone to a vm and rsync its contents. I can connect the phone and "qvm-usb -a" it to the VM, and it appears available under the File Manager application as "mtp://[usb:002,004]/" but I cannot locate a mount point to use for rsync. It does not appear under /run/user/[uid]/gvfs. Any idea where it mounts so I can use rsync to reference it?

Thanks in advance...

Stuart

cooloutac

Apr 16, 2018, 9:43:17 AM4/16/18
to qubes-users

usually in /run/media I think. If worse comes to worse you can just copy the files to sys-usb and then transfer it to your media vm.

ALso usually when you click it in the file manager, you then have to click allow on the phone itself before you can access the directories.

Stuart Perkins

Apr 16, 2018, 12:07:11 PM4/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I am able to browse and copy the phone's file system via the file manager application, but the path is mtp://[usb:002,004]/Phone/ which won't work with rsync. I don't see it under "run" anywhere...or under any of the file system starting at root. It is like it really isn't mounted at all. It shows up under file manager as a network location though. How would I tell rsync to reference it as a network location?

Mike Keehan

Apr 19, 2018, 11:38:47 AM4/19/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
"mtp://" is the clue :) mtp is a protocol for communication between a
phone and a computer. I don't think rsync supports mtp.

(My old phone used to 'mount' OK when I connected it, but my new phone
doesn't - it shows up as an mtp: device.)

Mike.

Stuart Perkins

Apr 19, 2018, 1:39:33 PM4/19/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
PITA. I used to be able to mount this very phone as a USB drive and RSYNC it for backup. I can still drag and drop with the file manager, but I have to take the whole thing every time and can't just maintain an up-to-date copy with rsync.

not all change is progress. :/

Ivan Mitev

Apr 19, 2018, 3:14:14 PM4/19/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 04/19/2018 08:39 PM, Stuart Perkins wrote:
> PITA. I used to be able to mount this very phone as a USB drive and RSYNC it for backup. I can still drag and drop with the file manager, but I have to take the whole thing every time and can't just maintain an up-to-date copy with rsync.
>
> not all change is progress. :/

maybe you'll have better luck with simple-mtpfs

from the package's info:

SIMPLE-MTPFS (Simple Media Transfer Protocol FileSystem) is a file
system for Linux (and other operating systems with a FUSE
implementation, such as Mac OS X or FreeBSD) capable of operating on
files on MTP devices attached via USB to local machine. On the local
computer where the SIMPLE-MTPFS is mounted, the implementation makes use
of the FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) kernel module. The practical
effect of this is that the end user can seamlessly interact with MTP
device files.

Stuart Perkins

Apr 19, 2018, 4:19:10 PM4/19/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

>maybe you'll have better luck with simple-mtpfs
>
>from the package's info:
>
>SIMPLE-MTPFS (Simple Media Transfer Protocol FileSystem) is a file
>system for Linux (and other operating systems with a FUSE
>implementation, such as Mac OS X or FreeBSD) capable of operating on
>files on MTP devices attached via USB to local machine. On the local
>computer where the SIMPLE-MTPFS is mounted, the implementation makes use
>of the FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) kernel module. The practical
>effect of this is that the end user can seamlessly interact with MTP
>device files.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Stuart Perkins

Apr 20, 2018, 8:28:41 AM4/20/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 22:14:08 +0300
Ivan Mitev <iv...@maa.bz> wrote:

>On 04/19/2018 08:39 PM, Stuart Perkins wrote:
>> PITA. I used to be able to mount this very phone as a USB drive and RSYNC it for backup. I can still drag and drop with the file manager, but I have to take the whole thing every time and can't just maintain an up-to-date copy with rsync.
>>
>> not all change is progress. :/
>
>maybe you'll have better luck with simple-mtpfs
>
>from the package's info:
>
>SIMPLE-MTPFS (Simple Media Transfer Protocol FileSystem) is a file
>system for Linux (and other operating systems with a FUSE
>implementation, such as Mac OS X or FreeBSD) capable of operating on
>files on MTP devices attached via USB to local machine. On the local
>computer where the SIMPLE-MTPFS is mounted, the implementation makes use
>of the FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) kernel module. The practical
>effect of this is that the end user can seamlessly interact with MTP
>device files.

I had forgotten about "go-mtpfs" in the Debian repositories...it does the job.