New laptop install R4rc5 fresh install, X startup failed.

Michael MENG

Feb 23, 2018, 8:50:41 AM2/23/18
to qubes-users
I bought new Dell i5577 with GTX1050 for R4, however, it shown X startup failed when install, I got the same screen below. how can I install R4?

https://13366229192823780453.googlegroups.com/attach/3b6e252a5cb32/q1.jpg?part=0.1&view=1&vt=ANaJVrH2rTi3F5s4yeRUs1mcblkJI2qGPjCrM_W2U4MWFWPP9pIA0wu4kT_vrTwSpskN2u7UGY-V0XheioXXWTGHhL5nsgmVzPD4ms2CTbWWHL_4m1A22us

Mike Keehan

Feb 24, 2018, 7:25:07 AM2/24/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
You could try adding "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau" to the boot command
line.

Search the mailing list for similar reports in the past.

Mike.

Michael MENG

Feb 27, 2018, 9:18:56 AM2/27/18
to qubes-users
Yes. I did , but still no luck. Also googled. I did press e when see grub menu but show mothing.

Yuraeitha

Feb 27, 2018, 9:25:38 AM2/27/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:18:56 PM UTC+1, Michael MENG wrote:
> Yes. I did , but still no luck. Also googled. I did press e when see grub menu but show mothing.

If you only plan to use Qubes OS on it, and not any other OS dual-boot system (not recommended to dual-boot with Qubes btw, but still may make sense for some use-cases), then you can just flat out disable nvidia grapghics in your BIOS/UEFI. That way you won't have to bother with Grub or EFI settings. Also even if you dual-boot, onboard graphics is often more than enough for most things, unless you plan to game or run really high-end graphic applications.

You will eventually have to solve it though if you want to use that nvidia in Qubes 4.1. (assuming GPU pass-through to specific AppVMs) makes it to the final 4.1. release version. But it'll take a good while before we see 4.1. as 4.0 is barely out of the door yet.

But you can try disable it in UEFI/BIOS to get started, if it works then you're also more sure that nothing else is preventing Qubes from being installed. If nothing else, it'll at least single out where the issue is, even if you only temporary disable it in UEFI/BIOS.

Yuraeitha

Feb 27, 2018, 9:27:21 AM2/27/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:18:56 PM UTC+1, Michael MENG wrote:
> Yes. I did , but still no luck. Also googled. I did press e when see grub menu but show mothing.

btw, you need to use "Tab" key on the installer, not the "E" key. Once Qubes is installed however, it's the regular old "E" Grub again. But during the installer, you need to use "Tab", screen will not change but 3 or so lines appears at the bottom of the screen, where you can add the driver blacklist at the very end (remember to add a proper space before adding it).

Michael MENG

Mar 11, 2018, 9:51:36 AM3/11/18
to qubes-users

Thanks for reply, still no luck, is it adding "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau" into boot menu? attached photo.

20180311_214138.jpg

Mike Keehan

Mar 13, 2018, 9:07:01 AM3/13/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
You need a space character at the end of "nouveau"!!

Your screenshot shows "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau_rhgb" - which is
wrong.