kernel panic after upgrade

mai...@maiski.net

Mar 2, 2018, 3:22:19 AM3/2/18
to qubes-users
Hello,

Unfortunately after the last update of Qubes 4.0 I have a kernel
panic: "unable to mount root fa on unknown block" and would appreciate
if somebody here could give me a tip.

I installed Qubes 4.0-RC1 and since then been only updating.

After the next-to-last update I was not able to boot xen 4.8.3 and
linux 4.14.13-3.
With the following configuration: xen 4.8 and linux 4.9.56-21 there is
no problem.
My machine is Lenovo T470S.

Does anyone have an idea?

awokd

Mar 3, 2018, 7:48:37 AM3/3/18
to mai...@maiski.net, qubes-users
On Fri, March 2, 2018 8:22 am, mai...@maiski.net wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Unfortunately after the last update of Qubes 4.0 I have a kernel
> panic: "unable to mount root fa on unknown block" and would appreciate
> if somebody here could give me a tip.

I think there is a typo here, try searching on "unable to mount root fs on
unknown block" instead. Looks like there are several possible causes,
especially if you are dual/multi-booting.

Qubed One

Mar 3, 2018, 4:14:28 PM3/3/18
to mai...@maiski.net, qubes-users
mai...@maiski.net:
> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately after the last update of Qubes 4.0 I have a kernel panic:
> "unable to mount root fa on unknown block" and would appreciate if
> somebody here could give me a tip.
>
> I installed Qubes 4.0-RC1 and since then been only updating.

That could be the problem. A reinstall was required between 4.0-RC1 and
4.0-RC2. See here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2017/10/23/qubes-40-rc2/

mai...@maiski.net

Mar 5, 2018, 12:16:53 PM3/5/18
to awokd, qubes-users
yes this was a typo.
it was simple as running grub2-mkconfig again to fix the issue
but thanks for the answer