HVM resolution not working by changing xorg.conf

snowbo...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2018, 8:56:54 PM2/21/18
to qubes-users
I installed an HVM of Linux Mint 18 on a laptop. I followed everything that is in the HVM tips and changed the driver to vesa, the horiz sync to 30-60 the vert refresh to 40-80 (and tried without it). I tried hardcoding resolutions and not hardcoding them.

I get a sync problem as long as I log in (the login screen is huge but ok). Then it's all totally fuzzy.

What else can I try? Thanks

Unman

Feb 22, 2018, 10:26:57 AM2/22/18
to snowbo...@gmail.com, qubes-users
here's an alternate approach:

sudo apt-get install xvfb xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfstt

Edit /etc/default/grub, and set:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1600x1200,1280x1024,800x600
GRUB_PAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

sudo update-grub

Restart the HVM.
Obviously, use resolutions that work for you. (You may find that only
the FIRST in that list is active and available.)

snowbo...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2018, 7:05:17 PM2/22/18
to qubes-users

this solved it. thanks a ton!