cannot build ubuntu template

snowbo...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2018, 10:54:17 AM2/17/18
to qubes-users
running qubes 3.2

I am following default instructions from Archlinux.Tried to build template for trusty.

I cloned the default repo.

there is a problem with python2 because in fedora 23 there is no such package. I had to manually edit and put python-sh in Makefile, builder.conf and setup script. After that everything seems to be working fine but it crashes during make qubes-vm with this message:

ln -s ../../bin/qrexec-client-vm /home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/debian/tmp/usr/lib/qubes/qrexec_client_vm
install qrexec-fork-server /home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/debian/tmp/usr/bin
install qubes-rpc-multiplexer /home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/debian/tmp/usr/lib/qubes
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/qrexec'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux'
dh_install
cp: cannot stat 'debian/tmp/lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service.d/30_qubes.conf': No such file or directory
dh_install: cp -a debian/tmp/lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service.d/30_qubes.conf debian/qubes-core-agent//lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service.d/ returned exit code 1
make: *** [binary] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-debian/Makefile.qubuntu:200: recipe for target 'dist-package' failed
make[2]: *** [dist-package] Error 2
Makefile.generic:156: recipe for target 'packages' failed
make[1]: *** [packages] Error 1
Makefile:212: recipe for target 'core-agent-linux-vm' failed

Why is it so difficult to build a default template? Should be working oob right?

awokd

Feb 17, 2018, 11:02:13 AM2/17/18
to snowbo...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sat, February 17, 2018 3:54 pm, snowbo...@gmail.com wrote:
> running qubes 3.2
>
> I am following default instructions from Archlinux.Tried to build
> template for trusty.
>
> I cloned the default repo.
>

> there is a problem with python2 because in fedora 23 there is no such
> package. I had to manually edit and put python-sh in Makefile,
> builder.conf and setup script. After that everything seems to be working
> fine but it crashes during make qubes-vm with this message:
>
> ln -s ../../bin/qrexec-client-vm
> /home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/debian/tmp/usr/lib/qubes/qrexec_cli
> ent_vm install qrexec-fork-server
> /home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/debian/tmp/usr/bin
> install qubes-rpc-multiplexer
> /home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/debian/tmp/usr/lib/qubes
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux/qrexec'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/user/qubes-src/core-agent-linux'
> dh_install cp: cannot stat
> 'debian/tmp/lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service.d/30_qubes.co
> nf': No such file or directory
> dh_install: cp -a
> debian/tmp/lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service.d/30_qubes.con
> debian/qubes-core-agent//lib/systemd/system/netfilter-persistent.service.
> d/ returned exit code 1 make: *** [binary] Error 2
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit
> status 2
> /home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-debian/Makefile.qubuntu:200:
> recipe for target 'dist-package' failed make[2]: *** [dist-package] Error
> 2
> Makefile.generic:156: recipe for target 'packages' failed
> make[1]: *** [packages] Error 1
> Makefile:212: recipe for target 'core-agent-linux-vm' failed
>

> Why is it so difficult to build a default template? Should be working oob
> right?

Might be related to this issue:

Tim W

Feb 17, 2018, 12:27:02 PM2/17/18
to qubes-users
There is a python2.sh rpm if you do a google search under centos I found and use and have been sucessfully building iso and templates. But there is an issue I came across that started 5 or so days ago at least building iso that fails on the stretch standard build. Further the centos 7 does not build correctly for 3.2 either now so maybe its effecting all but fedora templates at this point but a ticket is open on it.

Again not sure if it effects the zesty but as they are all debain based it might. The 4.0 issues may just not be updated yet but 3.2 should have worked as they have in the past so an update/s have caused this.

Unman

Feb 18, 2018, 11:39:01 AM2/18/18
to snowbo...@gmail.com, qubes-users
It should indeed work oob.
Truth is that I only really support 1 LTS and the latest Ubuntu
version. I havent built Trusty for some time, and it's difficult to keep
it up to date with the changing code base.The right thing to do would be
to take it out the build configs.
If there's some specific reason that you need trusty, and you cant
install as HVM, I'll take a quick look and see if the build issues can
be fixed. It may be simple.
Can you let me know?

snowbo...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2018, 6:04:15 AM2/19/18
to qubes-users

I am sorry, new to Qbues here didn't realize I can install anything with HVM. cheers

Tim W

Feb 19, 2018, 9:17:11 PM2/19/18
to qubes-users
Yes I agree it would be best ifnthe unsupported templates were commented out with a notation in the doc of it incase some reason it needs to be built. Its frustrating when you see 15 + template choices in the s ript but really only 6 actually work. The config may aslo ideally be adjusted so template choices are different for 3.2 and 4.0 to reflect the currently supported ones. Currently I have found that as part of an iso build none of the none standard templates will build correctly. I can only make a qubes iso using fedora and debain whonix templates. Archlinux. Ubuntu, Centos all error out. On 4.0 even fc23 errors out. Normally not a big deal but its nice to be able to build a kernel for 3.2 if you have dupli ate laptops. I like ha ing active templates for current dom0 fc versions regardless it being in 4.0 or 3.2.