How to add Web-Shortcut to Menu of an AppVM

[799]

Jan 1, 2018, 4:42:09 PM1/1/18
to qubes-users
Hello,

I would like to enter a new menu item to the Appmenu of a Fedora 25 based AppVM.
The menu should contain a link to our corporate Mailserver (https:///owa).

I have thereof installed "menulibre" (sudo yum -y install menulibre) and created a new desktop entry under the Office Section, but it won't show up in the qubes app menu.
I have synced the application within the applications Tab under VM Settings.

I have also tried to manually add the desktop file:

nano open-corporate-webmail.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Open Corporate Webmail
Icon=my-icon
Type=Application
Categories=Office;
Exec=xdg-open https://example.com/owa/

Following the documentation about adding menu files I have run:

xdg-desktop-menu install open-corporate-webmail.desktop

Unfortunately both ways (menulibre and manual creation of desktop file) didn't solve the task.

... Thereof the Question:
How can I add a web Shortcut to an application menu of an AppVM?

Kind regards

[799]

Yethal

Jan 2, 2018, 9:49:35 AM1/2/18
to qubes-users
You need to move the .desktop file to /usr/share applications in the TemplateVM upon which your AppVM depends and then run qvm-sync-appmenus in Dom0

Unman

Jan 2, 2018, 8:49:25 PM1/2/18
to Yethal, qubes-users
Alternatively, as the link is only needed in one qube, create a custom
Menu entry.
Remember that you can use qvm-run in dom0 to launch applications in
appVMs. So you can create a simple .desktop file which will run the
command in the required qube, using either qubes-desktop-run or qvm-run.
(HINT - open a terminal in the qube and find out what command you need
to run to start the application. Then try that command in dom0 using
qvm-run. THEN edit the desktop file to use that command.)

Then just write a custom menu entry calling that desktop file.
<Menu>
<Name>Webmail</Name>
<Include>
<Filename>custom.desktop</Filename>