Qubes freezing (hangs) always in less than 1 hour

Sameer Vao

Dec 31, 2017, 3:31:09 PM12/31/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

I tried everything I could google, but didn't work - so posting here. Wonderful if any help !

Qubes 3.2 installed at new laptop with cheap intel celeron with UEFI and 4Gb RAM. Install worked and it booted.

But it freezes completely (hangs) normally within 15 minutes after booting, needing a hard reboot. Theres no specific thing - sometimes moving the mouse, sometimes loading new machine. More frequent when many things loading at a time, but also happens while doing nothing just waiting.

This error also happens during boot - maybe related:
efi: EFI_MEMMAP is not enabled.
esrt: ESRT header is not in the memory map.

Also after install there's no grub menu.

All I tried didn't work and it kept freezing:

- Not using mouse or trackpad to see if they caused it

- Memorytest86+ showed no problem

- Temperature is ok

- Reinstalling qubes using /mapbs /noexitboot at end of chainloader in troubleshooting and rescue as in uefi troubleshooting

- mapbs=1 and noexitboot=1 at end of xen.cfg in new lines

- Adding any of those to both sections of /boot/efi/EFI/Qubes/xen.cfg:
efi=attr=uc
efi=no-rs
add_efi_memmap
EFI_MEMMAP error keeps happening, hangs too
(Why both sections of xen.cfg are identical ?)

- Adding to both sections of /boot/efi/EFI/Qubes/xen.cfg:
intel_idle.max_cstate=1
dmesg shows 'intel_idle: max_cstate 1 reached' but that didn't solve hangs

- Changing swap and free mem in dom0
sysctl -w swappiness=5
sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=105000

- Making those changes permanent in /etc/sysctl.conf
vm.swappiness=5
vm.min_free_kbytes=105000

- Tried changing swap and free mem of fedora template too, didnt solve.

Also always freezes during shutdown with black screen.

Sometimes freezes during boot and last lines looks like this:
Code: 8b 05 d8 ................. e8
RIP <fffffffffa1867751a> drm_clflush_virt_range+0x31/0x50 [drm]
RSP <ffff000007560a1008>
CR2: ffff000176c0e00100

I dont want to give up. What other things can I try to stop those hangs and have qubes function?

awokd

Jan 1, 2018, 5:27:56 AM1/1/18
to Sameer Vao, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, December 31, 2017 8:31 pm, Sameer Vao wrote:

> freezes completely (hangs) normally within 15 minutes after booting,
> needing a hard reboot. Theres no specific thing - sometimes moving the

If you haven't already, try running "sudo qubes-dom0-update" as soon as
you get in to Qubes.

Sameer Vao

Jan 3, 2018, 5:23:37 PM1/3/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com

> If you haven't already, try running "sudo qubes-dom0-update" as soon as
> you get in to Qubes.

Thank you awokd. I did but haven't solved it.

I'm thinking something limiting memory or CPU may be the way to solve it, but may be something else.

Any other ideas anybody?

Sameer Vao

Jan 7, 2018, 7:59:29 PM1/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
After much search and trials last 5 days, still found nothing online to solve this problem. Another notebook not an option for me at this time unfortunately.

If I can't fix it I will have to install another linux distribution - but that would be sad.  Anybody else have other ideas so I can keep qubes?  Thank you

awokd

Jan 7, 2018, 8:57:28 PM1/7/18
On Mon, January 8, 2018 12:59 am, Sameer Vao wrote:
> &gt;&gt; If you haven&#39;t already, try running &quot;sudo
> qubes-dom0-update&quot; as soon as&gt;&gt; you get in to Qubes.&gt;Thank
> you awokd. I did but haven&#39;t solved it.&gt;I&#39;m thinking something
> limiting memory or CPU may be the way to solve it, but may be something
> else.&gt;Any other ideas anybody?After much search and trials last 5
> days, still found nothing online to solve this problem. Another notebook
> not an option for me at this time unfortunately.If I can&#39;t fix it I
> will have to install another linux distribution - but that would be sad.
> &nbsp;Anybody else have other ideas so I can keep qubes?&nbsp; Thank
> you&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

If I remember right, you only have 4GB of RAM in the laptop, right? Qubes
minimum is really more like 8GB, 16+ is even better. You might be hitting
this issue https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3079, but more
severely than most because you are essentially out of memory as soon as
you boot up.

Also, can you set your email client to Plain Text mode? Not sure what it's
doing but it makes your messages hard to read.

bow...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2018, 3:00:51 AM1/8/18
to qubes-users
How many VM are you running? I suspect with your limitation sys-net, sys-firewall and one or two other VM is all you can reasonably do.

Is the system still unstable if you have only sys-net and sys-firewall up?