Mac-Spoofing Doesn’t Work

Person

Oct 2, 2017, 11:08:18 PM10/2/17
to qubes-users

I followed the directions for enabling mac-spoofing on Qubes, and it didn’t work. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/

I think I may have done something wrong. I could have not saved the gedit file correctly, or I spelled wlpos1 wrong. Or perhaps I didn’t restart sys-net enough times.

Chris Laprise

Oct 2, 2017, 11:40:13 PM10/2/17
to Person, qubes-users
On 10/02/2017 11:08 PM, Person wrote:
> I followed the directions for enabling mac-spoofing on Qubes, and it didn’t work. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/
>
> I think I may have done something wrong. I could have not saved the gedit file correctly, or I spelled wlpos1 wrong. Or perhaps I didn’t restart sys-net enough times.

The doc has two different methods: Network Manager and macchanger. If
using the first (recommended) you wouldn't need to configure 'wlpos1'
directly, and it should work as long as your Wifi card has proper
support for address changes.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://twitter.com/ttaskett

Person

Oct 3, 2017, 11:34:18 PM10/3/17
to qubes-users
The Network Manager will need me to update the Fedora and Debian templates, which will probably take some time.

But about the enp0s0 and wlp0s1 spoofing: how do you save an edited text file in the terminal? I think that my failure to save the gedit could have been a problem.

Person

Oct 6, 2017, 11:26:07 PM10/6/17
to qubes-users
Cloning VMs is quite troublesome right now, so it is hard to update Fedora and Debian in order to use NetworkManager.

Chris Laprise

Oct 6, 2017, 11:55:08 PM10/6/17
to Person, qubes-users
On 10/06/2017 11:26 PM, Person wrote:
> Cloning VMs is quite troublesome right now, so it is hard to update Fedora and Debian in order to use NetworkManager.

You can easily install the Fedora 25 template that should already have
the correct version of NM:

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-25

Sean Hunter

Oct 8, 2017, 5:34:48 AM10/8/17
to Chris Laprise, Qubes Users Mail List
On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:55:04PM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 10/06/2017 11:26 PM, Person wrote:
> > Cloning VMs is quite troublesome right now, so it is hard to update Fedora and Debian in order to use NetworkManager.
>
> You can easily install the Fedora 25 template that should already have the
> correct version of NM:
>
> $ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-25

Yup confirmed here - I've just tried turning on mac spoofing using the NetworkManager instructions and the fedora-25 template in 4.0rc1 and spoofs the mac address on sys-net fine for me. One thing is it seems it is now preferred to use "wifi.assigned-mac-address" etc rather than "wifi.cloned-mac-address". "cloned-mac-address" is deprecated. I found this on the "nm-settings" manpage.

My internal qubes still seem to have pretty standard Xen mac addrs (not that it matters). I'm guessing I'm not actually running Networkmanager on them.

Sean
signature.asc

Chris Laprise

Oct 8, 2017, 1:43:12 PM10/8/17
to Sean Hunter, Qubes Users Mail List
On 10/08/2017 05:34 AM, Sean Hunter wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:55:04PM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
>> On 10/06/2017 11:26 PM, Person wrote:
>>> Cloning VMs is quite troublesome right now, so it is hard to update Fedora and Debian in order to use NetworkManager.
>> You can easily install the Fedora 25 template that should already have the
>> correct version of NM:
>>
>> $ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-25
>>
> Yup confirmed here - I've just tried turning on mac spoofing using the NetworkManager instructions and the fedora-25 template in 4.0rc1 and spoofs the mac address on sys-net fine for me. One thing is it seems it is now preferred to use "wifi.assigned-mac-address" etc rather than "wifi.cloned-mac-address". "cloned-mac-address" is deprecated. I found this on the "nm-settings" manpage.

It seems that way on the man page, but the way it was explained to me on
NM mailing list is that page is for the dbus NM interface and
cloned-mac-address is deprecated there but it is still what they expect
you to use in the config file. There was no page that fully explained
the possible values for the config file itself.

> My internal qubes still seem to have pretty standard Xen mac addrs (not that it matters). I'm guessing I'm not actually running Networkmanager on them.

The internal MAC addresses shouldn't matter.

> Sean

Sean Hunter

Oct 9, 2017, 2:31:46 PM10/9/17
On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 01:43:06PM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 10/08/2017 05:34 AM, Sean Hunter wrote:
> > >
> > Yup confirmed here - I've just tried turning on mac spoofing using the NetworkManager instructions and the fedora-25 template in 4.0rc1 and spoofs the mac address on sys-net fine for me. One thing is it seems it is now preferred to use "wifi.assigned-mac-address" etc rather than "wifi.cloned-mac-address". "cloned-mac-address" is deprecated. I found this on the "nm-settings" manpage.
>
> It seems that way on the man page, but the way it was explained to me on NM
> mailing list is that page is for the dbus NM interface and
> cloned-mac-address is deprecated there but it is still what they expect you
> to use in the config file. There was no page that fully explained the
> possible values for the config file itself.

OK well the config below seems to be working for me (ie my sys-net is currently using a randomised mac addr) on 4.0rc1. ymmv.

Sean

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=yes

[connection]
wifi.assigned-mac-address=stable
ethernet.assigned-mac-address=stable
signature.asc

Person

Oct 9, 2017, 11:39:43 PM10/9/17
to qubes-users
I downloaded Fedora 25, and I’m still working out the MAC thing (so far so good). I looked at the manual and didn’t really want to install Debian 9, so am I able to keep my MAC private if I only use Fedora?

Sean Hunter

Oct 10, 2017, 3:55:20 AM10/10/17
to Person, qubes-users

Sent from my phone. Sorry if brief.

> On 10 Oct 2017, at 04:39, Person <xueyi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I downloaded Fedora 25, and I’m still working out the MAC thing (so far so good). I looked at the manual and didn’t really want to install Debian 9, so am I able to keep my MAC private if I only use Fedora?

Yes. I’m using Fedora for my sys-net (as is the standard install) and have mac spoofing on using the config below. I’m using 4.0 rc 1, but if you’re using 3.2 I would think it’s possible as long as you can update NetworkManager enough. That may mean updating your sys-net template to fedora-25.

Sean

Person

Oct 12, 2017, 6:04:35 PM10/12/17
to qubes-users
Okay, good to know.

I already started downloading Fedora 25, but the “Install” button does not seem to work when I click on it. There is no response.

There is a sentence on the bottom that says “It is recommended you back up your files first”. I already did back up my Fedora 23 VM, so I don’t understand why this is happening.

Person

Oct 14, 2017, 2:14:50 PM10/14/17
to qubes-users
I somehow still am not allowed to install Fedora 25. Every time I restart it, Fedora makes me download the update again, but the install button still lags.