Use another Window Manager (awesome) with Qubes OS

One7two99

Sep 28, 2017, 10:25:15 AM9/28/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

I've recently seen the window manager "awesome" in action which I haven't heard of before.I would like to give it a try on my Qubes 3.2 installation.

Has someone succesfully setup awesome under Qubes (which is basically a fedora) and has maybe some tips how to do so?
It seems there are two options:
1) install awesome via dnf/repositories
2) build a rpm package from the GIT sources

I've also never changed my default window manager in Qubes ...
Any guidance would be helpfull, also an information if it can be done at all.

[788]

Holger Levsen

Sep 28, 2017, 11:41:11 AM9/28/17
to qubes-users
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:24:54AM -0400, 'One7two99' via qubes-users wrote:
> I've recently seen the window manager "awesome" in action which I haven't heard of before.I would like to give it a try on my Qubes 3.2 installation.

I've been using awesome for almost 10 years and when I switched to Qubes
half a year ago I wanted to continue using awesome, saw these instructions and
gave i3 a try. (Which is a simple as "sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-i3-settings",
logout, changing to i3 in the login manager and login in again.)

Half an hour later I was happily using i3 and half a day later I knew I would
stay with i3.

(The reason is mostly that i3 is soo much simpler to configure than awesome,
I also like shell much much better than lua.)

--
cheers,
Holger

One7two99

Sep 28, 2017, 2:09:10 PM9/28/17
to Holger Levsen, qubes-users
Hello Holger,

> I"ve been using awesome for almost 10 years and when I switched to Qubes
> half a year ago I wanted to continue using awesome, saw these instructions and
> gave i3 a try. (Which is a simple as "sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-i3-settings",
> logout, changing to i3 in the login manager and login in again.)

Thank you for the tip, I've watched some i3 videos and it looks good.
I'll give it a try. Just for info, the installation of i3 is possible via

sudo qubes-dom0-update i3 i3-settings-qubes
(not: qubes-i3-settings :-)

{788]

Jarle Thorsen

Sep 29, 2017, 3:13:35 AM9/29/17
to qubes-users
torsdag 28. september 2017 20.09.10 UTC+2 skrev One7two99 følgende:
> Hello Holger,
>

> > I"ve been using awesome for almost 10 years and when I switched to Qubes
>
> > half a year ago I wanted to continue using awesome, saw these instructions and
>
> > gave i3 a try. (Which is a simple as "sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-i3-settings",
>
> > logout, changing to i3 in the login manager and login in again.)
>

> Thank you for the tip, I've watched some i3 videos and it looks good.
>
> I'll give it a try. Just for info, the installation of i3 is possible via

As a former Awesome user I also now prefer the "simplicity" of i3.

Outback Dingo

Oct 25, 2017, 4:50:35 AM10/25/17
to qubes-users
Any possibilities Xmonad would also work i wonder, its quite nice