Can't get disposable VMs to work

Chris Mays

Oct 2, 2016, 11:45:57 PM10/2/16
to qubes-users
I just installed Qubes OS for the first time today, and am having troubles getting a disposable VM to run. The system menu for Firefox and XTerm just stall. Is there something I am missing?

Regards

Andrew David Wong

Oct 2, 2016, 11:53:06 PM10/2/16
to Chris Mays, qubes-users

Chris Mays

Oct 3, 2016, 12:05:43 AM10/3/16
to qubes-users, cma...@gmail.com

That command ran successfully.

> DVM savefile created successfully.

The DispVM still fails to start. When clicked from the XFCE menu, I see a notification "Starting new DispVM..." and nothing happens after that.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2016, 12:36:09 AM10/3/16
to qubes-users, cma...@gmail.com

go to qubes-manager and view menu and select show hide internal vms, and delete all the dvm ones. then try qvm-create-default-dvm fedora-23

Chris Mays

Oct 3, 2016, 11:30:14 PM10/3/16
to qubes-users, cma...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

I only had one, "fedora-23-dvm". I deleted it and recreated it, but the DispVM is still not starting.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2016, 12:53:36 PM10/4/16
to qubes-users, cma...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

have you rebooted machine? is it just the default firefox dispvm entry? What if you load a terminal from a vm, then try to load an app in a vm with, qvm-run '$dispvm' appname

Selton

Sep 10, 2017, 7:21:19 PM9/10/17
to qubes-users
Am Dienstag, 4. Oktober 2016 18:53:36 UTC+2 schrieb cooloutac:
> have you rebooted machine? is it just the default firefox dispvm entry? What if you load a terminal from a vm, then try to load an app in a vm with, qvm-run '$dispvm' appname

I have the exact same problem as OP. I recreated the DispVM multiple times now and rebooted several times.
The behaviour is the same for the Qubes start menu entry (DisposableVM -> Firefox and xterm) as well as tries to cross load it either by the context menu for a file or by qvm-run '$dispvm' xterm: I get a bubble msg in dom0 saying "Starting new DispVM..." and afterwards happens nothing. I could not find any helpful log output so far, can you point me to some or give some other tips? A disposable VM is quite an important feature...

cooloutac

Sep 11, 2017, 9:41:24 AM9/11/17
to qubes-users

make sure you delete all the old dvm's before creating a new one. Show internal vms in qubes manager and see if you have more then one.

Selton

Sep 11, 2017, 8:01:53 PM9/11/17
to qubes-users
> make sure you delete all the old dvm's before creating a new one. Show internal vms in qubes manager and see if you have more then one.

Already did (I think this was mentioned before, if not here in another thread) and this is not the problem. There is only one dvm (which I also deleted/recreated several times with several different fedora versions).

Unman

Sep 11, 2017, 8:34:34 PM9/11/17
to Selton, qubes-users
I'm assuming this is 3.2.
What template are you using to create the DVMTemplate?
Can you run a terminal in the DVMTemplate using 'qvm-run -a <blah-dvm>
xterm'?
If not, does the DVMTemplate start?
If it does, but the terminal doesnt appear, you can use 'sudo xl console
<blah-dvm>' in dom0 to connect to the running qube and see what the problem is.

unman

Selton

Sep 11, 2017, 8:53:29 PM9/11/17
to qubes-users
> I'm assuming this is 3.2.
You assume correct.

> What template are you using to create the DVMTemplate?

Currently fedora-25 (untouched from the qubes repo), I have tried fedor-24 and fedora-23 before as well as updated versions.

> Can you run a terminal in the DVMTemplate using 'qvm-run -a <blah-dvm> xterm'?

This works and I do get in a terminal in the running fedora-25-dvm internal template without problems. But even with the dvm template running and the terminal open trying to start programs / open files in a disposal VM fails in the same way. Can I go any further from here / do some useful troubleshooting in the templates console? Thanks for your help!

zach.g...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2017, 10:54:23 PM9/11/17
to qubes-users
On Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 8:45:57 PM UTC-7, Chris Mays wrote:
> I just installed Qubes OS for the first time today, and am having troubles getting a disposable VM to run. The system menu for Firefox and XTerm just stall. Is there something I am missing?
>
> Regards

Bump for this, I have the same issue. Firefox and XTerm do not launch from menu, or from CLI inside an AppVM

Selton

Sep 12, 2017, 5:38:38 PM9/12/17
to qubes-users
Maybe this is related: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/GCH3PIlGuq8

In my case i'm also using an AMD CPU. However the rest of Qubes runs okayish. (Some unexplained crashs once in a few hours but overall acceptable for a secure station which doesn't have to be a super stable and user friendly working horse. And it doesn't seem like there would be another feature which is per se not working like disposable VMs.)

If it is CPU related maybe it can be worked around? But maybe this is a wrong track.

Selton

Sep 12, 2017, 5:58:54 PM9/12/17
to qubes-users

By the way, in the screenshot is the error I get when I try to start a disp VM via command line from dom0 (it didn't occur to me that this might generate useful output when the other methods don't return anything).
dvm-error.jpg

Unman

Sep 12, 2017, 9:41:38 PM9/12/17
to zach.g...@gmail.com, Selton, qubes-users
Have a look at /var/log/libvirt/libxl.
If, as I suspect, you see "record truncated", it's a long standing bug
in Xen: , Qubes issue is still open.
If you dont see that post the relevant sections of the log

unman

Selton

Sep 12, 2017, 10:50:21 PM9/12/17
to qubes-users
I guess this could be the problem.

/var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log produces the following 4 lines for each try to start a disposable VM:

xc: error: X86_PV_VCPU_MSRS record truncated: length 8, min 9: Internal error
xc: error: Restore failed (0 = Success): Internal error
libxl: error: libxl_stream_read.c:749:libxl__xc_domain_restore_done: restoring domain: Success
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1145:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3

So I guess this means I'm out of luck here and no workaround available?

Unman

Sep 14, 2017, 5:50:42 PM9/14/17
to Selton, qubes-users
Although the bug still appears to be open it looks from the changelog
from Xen 4.9 that the issue with zero length records has been fixed.
Have you tried updating dom0?

Selton

Sep 15, 2017, 12:43:06 PM9/15/17
to qubes-users
> Although the bug still appears to be open it looks from the changelog
> from Xen 4.9 that the issue with zero length records has been fixed.
> Have you tried updating dom0?

I have and after that qubes wasn't even able to boot (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/Sr_C3cVTaG4) so I'm a little worried about that option. Is there way to update dom0 with an way to easily fallback in case it goes wrong again?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 15, 2017, 5:50:07 PM9/15/17
to Selton, qubes-users

Selton

Sep 16, 2017, 11:45:10 AM9/16/17
to qubes-users
> You may try to update just xen packages (which is where the fix is):
>
> sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=update 'xen*'

Okay, worked in that way that I'm still able to use qubes after the update and it eliminated the error line with the record truncated

>xc: error: X86_PV_VCPU_MSRS record truncated: length 8, min 9: Internal error

However, besides that my basic problem still persists in the exact same way. So I do get the same error from the screenshot above (exactly the same) when I try to start a dispVM and in the /var/log/libvirt/libxl/libxl-driver.log there are now the following 3 lines per try (instead of 4 before):

>xc: error: Restore failed (0 = Success): Internal error
>libxl: error: libxl_stream_read.c:749:libxl__xc_domain_restore_done: restoring domain: Success
>libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1145:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3

I have tried deletion and recreation of the dispVM template several times as well as reboots. I also switched the dispVM template versions (fedora-23, 24 and 25) but without luck.

I guess this is some progress but unfortunately dispVMs are still not working.