Qubes r4 internal networking question

Foppe de Haan

Aug 6, 2017, 2:55:28 AM8/6/17
to qubes-users
In qubes r3.2, any VMs behind a proxy were on a different subnet (e.g. anything attached to sys-firewall was on 1.x, while anything behind the tor gateway was on 3.x). In r4, from what I'm seeing so far, everything is just in 0.x.

Is this going to be the new normal / does this have advantages over the old situation? Because while it was a bit arbitrary, I appreciated that the old numbering system gave hints as to what was connected to what (esp. while adding routes in iptables).

Unman

Aug 6, 2017, 2:13:22 PM8/6/17
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-users
On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 11:55:28PM -0700, Foppe de Haan wrote:
> In qubes r3.2, any VMs behind a proxy were on a different subnet (e.g. anything attached to sys-firewall was on 1.x, while anything behind the tor gateway was on 3.x). In r4, from what I'm seeing so far, everything is just in 0.x.
>
> Is this going to be the new normal / does this have advantages over the old situation? Because while it was a bit arbitrary, I appreciated that the old numbering system gave hints as to what was connected to what (esp. while adding routes in iptables).

Indeed, and it's been implemented for that reason.
See, https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1143
and https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-core-admin/pull/67