Attaching non-PCI block devices to VM

Noor Christensen

Jul 11, 2017, 4:25:52 AM7/11/17
to qubes-users
Hi,

I am curious if it is possible to attach "arbitrary" block devices to a
VM, similar to how additional disks drives can be specified for HVMs.

For example, let's say I have a backup disk image on dom0 that I would
like to read from another VM without having to copy the entire file. Is
this possible?

-- noor

|_|O|_|
|_|_|O| Noor Christensen
signature.asc

Chris Laprise

Jul 11, 2017, 5:17:19 AM7/11/17
to qubes-users
Yes, have a look at 'qvm-block -a' and 'qvm-block -A' in dom0.

Also remember you don't have to use dom0 or sys-usb as a source; you can
specify any VM that contains the volume.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@openmailbox.org
https://twitter.com/ttaskett

Noor Christensen

Jul 11, 2017, 5:31:52 AM7/11/17
to qubes-users
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 05:17:06AM -0400, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 07/11/2017 04:25 AM, Noor Christensen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am curious if it is possible to attach "arbitrary" block devices to a
> > VM, similar to how additional disks drives can be specified for HVMs.
> >
> > For example, let's say I have a backup disk image on dom0 that I would
> > like to read from another VM without having to copy the entire file. Is
> > this possible?
>
> Yes, have a look at 'qvm-block -a' and 'qvm-block -A' in dom0.
>
> Also remember you don't have to use dom0 or sys-usb as a source; you can
> specify any VM that contains the volume.

Thanks for your swift response!
signature.asc