kernel-devel and kernel-header version mismatch

Dave C

Jun 1, 2017, 11:16:32 AM6/1/17
to qubes-users
I'm trying to build nvidia module in dom0. Following steps found in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/v26zXkiNElg/discussion

At the step where kernel-headers and kernel-devel are installed into dom0, I'm getting a version mismatch between the kernel I'm running versus those packages.

I've also read https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/ but doesn't seem to address what I'm asking here.

on dom0, `uname -r` returns:

4.4.67-12.pvops.qubes.x86_64

`qubes-dom0-update --action=list --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable "kernel-qubes-vm` returns:

Last metadata expiration check: 0:42:31 ago on Thu Jun 1 07:23:06 2017.
Installed Packages
kernel-qubes-vm.x86_64 1000:4.4.38-11.pvops.qubes @System
kernel-qubes-vm.x86_64 1000:4.4.55-11.pvops.qubes @System
kernel-qubes-vm.x86_64 1000:4.4.67-12.pvops.qubes @System
Available Packages
kernel-qubes-vm.x86_64 1000:4.8.12-12.pvops.qubes qubes-dom0-unstable
Installed Packages
kernel-qubes-vm.x86_64 1000:4.4.38-11.pvops.qubes @qubes-dom0-cached
kernel-qubes-vm.x86_64 1000:4.4.55-11.pvops.qubes @qubes-dom0-cached
kernel-qubes-vm.x86_64 1000:4.4.67-12.pvops.qubes @qubes-dom0-cached

`qubes-dom0-update --action=list --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable "kernel-devel` returns:

Last metadata expiration check: 0:44:38 ago on Thu Jun 1 07:23:06 2017.
Installed Packages
kernel-devel.x86_64 1000:4.8.12-12.pvops.qubes @System
Installed Packages
kernel-devel.x86_64 1000:4.8.12-12.pvops.qubes @qubes-dom0-cached

`qubes-dom0-update --action=list --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable "kernel-headers` returns:

Installed Packages
kernel-headers.x86_64 4.8.13-100.fc23 @System
Installed Packages
kernel-headers.x86_64 4.8.13-100.fc23 @qubes-dom0-cached

Notice that even if I install kernel 4.8.12-12 from qubes-dom0-unstable, there is a mismatch between kernel-devel (4.8.12-12) and kernel-headers (4.8.13-100).

I welcome any advice about how to manage kernel modules built in dom0. How do I resolve the version mismatch described here? And also how do I keep a functioning module when kernel versions update in the future?

Thanks, -Dave

Unman

Jun 1, 2017, 12:17:46 PM6/1/17
to Dave C, qubes-users
You can find rpms for the headers at yum.qubes-os.org
Look at (e.g) r3.2/current/dom0/fc23/rpm and you'll see kernel-devel
packages to suit. Poke about and you'll find most everything you need.

The obvious way to keep current is to use dkms which will automatically
rebuild modules with a kernel upgrade. You will, of course, need to
ensure that you upgrade the kernel devel package too.
Otherwise you need to manually rebuild the module on an upgrade.

unman

Dave C

Jun 2, 2017, 12:37:31 AM6/2/17
to qubes-users, qu...@dave-cohen.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

Hi Unman,

Thanks for that suggestion. I was able to download the matching kernel-devel. And with it, complete the instructions to compile the nvidia module.

(Unfortunately, didn't make a difference for the system I'm trying to run qubes on. So I still have something to figure out.)

Do you happen to know why `qubes-dom0-update` doesn't find the repo you refered to automatically? It's enabled in /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo.

Unman

Jun 2, 2017, 7:51:01 PM6/2/17
to Dave C, qubes-users
dnf wil always show you the latest version available.
To see all available versions you need --showduplicates
Then you can install by specifying a particular version number.

Dave C

Jun 3, 2017, 10:46:43 AM6/3/17
to qubes-users, qu...@dave-cohen.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

Thanks for pointing that out! With `--action=list --showduplicates`, it shows all available versions.

Cheers, -Dave