Auto update download in Linux

Drew White

Apr 23, 2017, 11:44:53 PM4/23/17
to qubes-users
Hi folks,

I know this has probably been asked before, but I want to know how to disable the search for and install of application whenever a command isn't found please?

Whenever a command isn't found, it goes off and downloads the application listings each time, it isn't stored on the proxy, nor is it saved on the update VM.

Do I need to build a caching system on Qubes to cache the update files like that?
Or is there a way to get around that too?

Sincerely,
Drew.

Unman

Apr 24, 2017, 5:51:46 PM4/24/17
to Drew White, qubes-users
Hi Drew

What template are you using here?

I seem to recall that Fedora has such a service, but I dont think it's
enabled in a default template.

I think the only way to get a caching proxy is to install your own - I
use apt-cacher-ng, but I'm mainly Debian.
There's been a long standing discussion on qubes issues about using a
caching proxy and RustyBird has posted to qubes-devel about a Squid based
solution.

cheers

unman

Drew White

Apr 24, 2017, 11:26:36 PM4/24/17
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 07:51:46 UTC+10, Unman wrote:
> Hi Drew
>
> What template are you using here?
Fedora 23.

> I seem to recall that Fedora has such a service, but I dont think it's
> enabled in a default template.

It is enabled by default, and I asked somewhere how to disable it ages ago, but I can't find that information any more.

> I think the only way to get a caching proxy is to install your own - I
> use apt-cacher-ng, but I'm mainly Debian.

But the UpdateVM is supposed to do that. I tell the guest to use the Update Proxy VM and it doesn't...

> There's been a long standing discussion on qubes issues about using a
> caching proxy and RustyBird has posted to qubes-devel about a Squid based
> solution.

Thanks Unman, I'll have to look into it, but I don't really like Squid, if it's th only option, so be it.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Drew.

Rusty Bird

Apr 25, 2017, 10:54:03 AM4/25/17
to Drew White, qubes-users, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

Rusty Bird

Apr 25, 2017, 9:05:43 PM4/25/17
to Drew White, qubes-users, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

Drew White

Apr 30, 2017, 8:29:43 PM4/30/17
On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 11:05:43 UTC+10, Rusty Bird wrote:

> Rusty Bird:
> > Drew White:
> > > It is enabled by default, and I asked somewhere how to disable it ages ago, but I can't find that information any more.
> >
> > sudo dnf remove PackageKit-command-not-found

Thanks, I'll do that. I'll put it into my little book of commands to remember to perform on new installs. "dnf remove PackageKit-command-not-found"

> > > But the UpdateVM is supposed to do that.
> >
> > No, that's a non-caching proxy.
>
> Sorry, I shouldn't mix these up: The "UpdateVM" proxies _dom0_
> updates. It doesn't necessarily run an instance of the (completely
> different) "Updates Proxy" for VM updates. But anyway, the latter is
> non-caching.

Well, if I don't give the guest access to the internet by restricting firewall, and I tell it to "Allow connections to Updates Proxy", why doesn't that do what it says it will do?

Sincerely,
Drew.

Rusty Bird

May 1, 2017, 8:55:20 AM5/1/17
to Drew White, qubes-users, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

Drew White

May 1, 2017, 9:09:14 PM5/1/17
On Monday, 1 May 2017 22:55:20 UTC+10, Rusty Bird wrote:
> Drew White:
> > On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 11:05:43 UTC+10, Rusty Bird wrote:
> > Well, if I don't give the guest access to the internet by restricting firewall, and I tell it to "Allow connections to Updates Proxy", why doesn't that do what it says it will do?
>
> But it does! Maybe you expect proxying to imply caching, which is not
> necessarily the case. The Updates Proxy is one of many non-caching
> proxies.

If it got access to the update proxy, then it would be able to update even if IPs were resticted because the update proxy would be allowed as it's on the same subnet.

UpdateVM: "update-vm (current)"

That's what I have set in options.

Update Proxy is somewhere unknown.

At this point, I'm looking at building a better update system that what is in place because of Fedora's crap that it makes you download every 5 minutes..

80 Mb every little while just to see if there are updates... I'd rather download once, then use that for each guest. Is that possible?

How would I create the update cache proxy? Is there already one out there that isn't resource hungry?

Sincerely,
Drew.