HCL Suggestions?

Gaiko Kyofusho

Feb 3, 2017, 6:38:18 PM2/3/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
First, these are just a few suggestions, I really appreciate the HCL as it helped me select a very functional computer that worked with Qubes "out of the box".

Despite the HCL being helpful I wonder if it possible to add some additional functionality to it? "That One Privacy Site" has a very useful table that can be sorted in a variety of ways, something like this for the HCL would really be useful. Also It seems people have asked fairly often about ideal notebooks and asked about memory, weight, age (year released?) etc Adding a field for these things (mem tested with, and max mem) could be quite useful for those wanting for find say the lightest notebook that is working with 3.2 (for example).

These are just thoughts, but as I am hoping to get another computer in the next year or so I tend to refer to the HCL to see if its been updated and compare computers etc.

Just my two cents.

Andrew David Wong

Feb 3, 2017, 8:49:15 PM2/3/17
to Gaiko Kyofusho, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 4, 2017, 6:10:39 PM2/4/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> This is a good time to mention that we're in need of an HCL
> maintainer. Our longtime volunteer HCL maintainer, Zrubi, no longer
> has the time to do it. We all owe Zrubi a debt of gratitude for
> keeping up this thankless task for so long! :)
>
> Any volunteers?
Why not to just script-out this once and forget?

source information: email from someone, output information -> some
file to put on the web?

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below:

Andrew David Wong

Feb 5, 2017, 7:39:16 AM2/5/17
to Oleg Artemiev, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Stickstoff

Feb 5, 2017, 8:11:00 AM2/5/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 02/05/2017 01:39 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2017-02-04 15:10, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
>>> This is a good time to mention that we're in need of an HCL
>>> maintainer. [..] Any volunteers?
>> Why not to just script-out this once and forget?

I can't help with maintaining the HCL, sorry. Yes, an automated solution
might help here.

Talking about automation: I am in a position to have several notebooks
on my desk every week. Anything between three and ten maybe, steadily.
Mostly older consumer devices.
How much of a priority is it to fill the HCL? If I had a bootable stick
which fetches all interesting info in short time without (much) user
input, I could do that to a lot of notebooks.
This would only make sense if we could find out the notebook model with
the script. Or maybe just type it in while it scans stuff.

There are many places with high notebook throughput. Heck, we can even
walk through an electronic store and check out one new notebook after
another, if it's reasonably fast and simple.

Would it be worthwile to have many new HCL reports to program such a
stick? Is an automated report even worth much, without hands-on
experience of a user testing functionality?
I am no programmer, unfortunately, so I can't create such a stick by myself.
And, of course, we need to be prepared for many new reports with a new
maintainer and/or a more automated processing.

Stickstoff

signature.asc

Andrew David Wong

Feb 5, 2017, 9:40:56 AM2/5/17
to Stickstoff, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2017-02-05 05:10, Stickstoff wrote:
>>> Why not to just script-out this once and forget?
>
> I can't help with maintaining the HCL, sorry. Yes, an automated
> solution might help here.
>
> Talking about automation: I am in a position to have several
> notebooks on my desk every week. Anything between three and ten
> maybe, steadily. Mostly older consumer devices. How much of a
> priority is it to fill the HCL? If I had a bootable stick which
> fetches all interesting info in short time without (much) user
> input, I could do that to a lot of notebooks.

Thank you for you willingness to do this! It might be enough just to
install Qubes onto a USB drive, boot from it, and run qubes-hcl-report.

> This would only make sense if we could find out the notebook model
> with the script. Or maybe just type it in while it scans stuff.

I think qubes-hcl-report automatically gets the model number in most
cases.

> There are many places with high notebook throughput. Heck, we can
> even walk through an electronic store and check out one new
> notebook after another, if it's reasonably fast and simple.
>
> Would it be worthwile to have many new HCL reports to program such
> a stick? Is an automated report even worth much, without hands-on
> experience of a user testing functionality? I am no programmer,
> unfortunately, so I can't create such a stick by myself. And, of
> course, we need to be prepared for many new reports with a new
> maintainer and/or a more automated processing.

Good question. I think the reports would still be somewhat useful,
since at least anyone who is considering acquiring model X will be
able to see the HCL report for model X before acquiring it. However,
HCL reports for newer models are likely to be more useful than ones
for older models, unless the older models are particularly popular for
some reason.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Andrew David Wong

Feb 6, 2017, 9:04:43 AM2/6/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 7, 2017, 4:29:57 AM2/7/17
to Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:
> On 2017-02-04 15:10, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
>>> This is a good time to mention that we're in need of an HCL
>>> maintainer. Our longtime volunteer HCL maintainer, Zrubi, no
>>> longer has the time to do it. We all owe Zrubi a debt of
>>> gratitude for keeping up this thankless task for so long! :)
>>> Any volunteers?
>> Why not to just script-out this once and forget?
>>
>> source information: email from someone, output information -> some
>> file to put on the web?
> Some stuff still had to be edited manually, but it could indeed be
> automated better. Can you help us with that? :D
I'm interested in helping automate this. Though can't claim that it
will be fast.

Could you, please, point me into what is already automated (repo +
path) and related brief dox on how
execution is done currently (if any)?

My idea how it should look like:

a special qubes image:

*. preinstalled on some usb stick
*. has only a preconfigured VMs: netVM, firefwallVM, user interface is
not required.

Dom0 has a script in startup scripts that:
*. runs HCL
*. updates HCL file: old data copied somewhere inside dom0 for user reference
*. copies file to net VM,

VM has a script:
*. checks for HCL file to be present eache minute
*. checks that internet is available
*. makes a gui request to a user to fill required manual fields (model
as the store names it, user name(optional), and so on)
*. once confirned - sends HCL file to specially assigned emaili at qubes.org

Qubes web:
*. A sctipt on qubes.org updates some HCL html in predefined format

PS: I would prefer just a single HCL usb stick run, that boots, asks
user for input 'seller named model as' and mail result automatically
(now or later if at runtime we had no internet) -
no user interface except this, GUI is optional, all Dom0/VM made in a
single place in modified Dom0, but that is against architecture and
making such an image may require much more
work than scripting this as a chain of small scripts + preconfigured
VMs. BTW: I'd like such an thing also for old versions of Qubes OS -
sooner or later we will face usual store that some
hardware is okay w/ old Qubes but too slow with new.
Alternatively we could have a special preconfigured VM image that does
all VM part above, but require user filling HCL to activate manually.

Zrubi

Feb 7, 2017, 4:51:40 AM2/7/17
to Oleg Artemiev, Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 02/07/2017 10:29 AM, Oleg Artemiev wrote:

> Could you, please, point me into what is already automated (repo +
> path) and related brief dox on how execution is done currently (if
> any)?
>
> My idea how it should look like:
>
> a special qubes image:
>
> *. preinstalled on some usb stick *. has only a preconfigured VMs:
> netVM, firefwallVM, user interface is not required.

Qubes Live USB should do the job - but AFAIK that project is stalled.

> Dom0 has a script in startup scripts that: *. runs HCL *. updates
> HCL file: old data copied somewhere inside dom0 for user reference
> *. copies file to net VM,

These are handled/done by the hcl script itself.

> VM has a script: *. checks for HCL file to be present eache
> minute *. checks that internet is available *. makes a gui request
> to a user to fill required manual fields (model as the store names
> it, user name(optional), and so on) *. once confirned - sends HCL
> file to specially assigned emaili at qubes.org

What we are need from the user is his/her actual experience. All the
info collected by the hcl script are just pure hardware data. Without
user experience it is useless.

> Qubes web: *. A sctipt on qubes.org updates some HCL html in
> predefined format

Here is the current workflow as i did it before:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/RagFsGlhPTY/HXyRCQOUBQAJ

See that old thread for more ideas about a better HCL reporting.

- --
Zrubi

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Feb 7, 2017, 5:03:06 AM2/7/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Chris Laprise, Andrew David Wong
I started an effort to automate HCL updating a few months ago and
thought I'd pass on my notes in case anyone finds them useful.

First, you'll probably want a complete and incrementally-updateable
local mailing list archive. The most reliable way I've found to dump
google groups is with [1] (amusingly implemented in bash).

To decode the mails to extract the HCL files, I tried to use ripmime
[2], but hit cases in our archives that crashed it [3]. I got
sidetracked trying to produce a minimal case reproducing the crash and
determine if it was exploitable, but other priorities took over.

The crashing cases in our archives included the following (which are not HCLs):
- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/8n9i1GiIl7s/jvIkXCiV0awJ
- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/h_5wX9IN-MI/XRlekv-GcU4J
- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/jr8BWxhmQq4/KteMXP5nxd8J
- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/v739hab0FDo/Yru2TDVAEX8J

Reported upstream, but maybe you want to use a different mime-decoder
regardless.

[1]: https://github.com/icy/google-group-crawler
[2]: http://www.pldaniels.com/ripmime/
[3]: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/anonymous/239a136df2479d36f085e075ddc52287/raw/d6a2fb64ce9e64a8fa1de2962f8bc447e395d14e/ripmime-crash.txt

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 7, 2017, 5:05:46 AM2/7/17
to Zrubi, Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com

(

>> Dom0 has a script in startup scripts that: *. runs HCL *. updates
>> HCL file: old data copied somewhere inside dom0 for user reference
>> *. copies file to net VM,
> These are handled/done by the hcl script itself.
nice

>> VM has a script: *. checks for HCL file to be present eache
>> minute *. checks that internet is available *. makes a gui request
>> to a user to fill required manual fields (model as the store names
>> it, user name(optional), and so on) *. once confirned - sends HCL
>> file to specially assigned emaili at qubes.org
>
> What we are need from the user is his/her actual experience. All the
> info collected by the hcl script are just pure hardware data. Without
> user experience it is useless.
Some data are 'pure hardware data' but very important (i.e. some sort of
restrictions) are possible only w/ specific CPU features - I'd never buy or
recommend a laptop that is able to run Qubes but has no full support for
all Qubes features. Having a tool to get this information right at the seller
store should be nice .

>> Qubes web: *. A sctipt on qubes.org updates some HCL html in
>> predefined format
> Here is the current workflow as i did it before:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/RagFsGlhPTY/HXyRCQOUBQAJ
>
> See that old thread for more ideas about a better HCL reporting.
Thank you, 'll look.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Feb 7, 2017, 6:14:23 AM2/7/17
to Jean-Philippe Ouellet, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Chris Laprise, Andrew David Wong