My Intel system doesn't have Vt-x and Vt-d, please help me understand the implications.

5vo30m+lpi66...@guerrillamail.com

Jan 6, 2017, 3:04:13 PM1/6/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

First off happy new year! :)

To get into the subject, I'm trying to get as many Qubes users around me as possible to convert my family and friends from Windowsism to Qubism. However in some cases I see that the Intel®™ (backdoor℠ inside®) hardware that they have does not support VT-x and VT-d.

So I would like to better understand the implications of this. From the User FAQ:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#can-i-install-qubes-on-a-system-without-vt-x

I understand that this means that:

o Not being able to use fully virtualized VMs (e.g., Windows-based qubes)

o No security benefit in having a separate NetVM

But the points I wont to understand are:

~ Does this mean that one wont be able to install Windows in a VM in such system (that's it?)? What does fully virtualized VM really mean?

~ How is this relevant practically speaking? In other words, could an attacker deploy malware to NetVM (from an AppVM that is connected to the NetVM)? If not, in which situations can attacker get to the NetVM and therefore to dom0?

Thanks for all the help!

----
Sent using Guerrillamail.com
Block or report abuse: https://www.guerrillamail.com//abuse/?a=UFR2AB5NVqcQmh2U93EQdRjCStifx8dDiadNcQ%3D%3D

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 6, 2017, 8:37:50 PM1/6/17
to 5vo30m+lpi66...@guerrillamail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Jan 7, 2017, 3:29:56 AM1/7/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, 5vo30m+lpi66...@guerrillamail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2017-01-06 17:37, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:04:08PM +0000, 5vo30m+lpi66xm176ugr7ruk via qubes-users wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>
>> First off happy new year! :)
>
>> To get into the subject, I'm trying to get as many Qubes users around me as possible to convert my family and friends from Windowsism to Qubism. However in some cases I see that the Intel®™ (backdoor℠ inside®) hardware that they have does not support VT-x and VT-d.
>
>> So I would like to better understand the implications of this. From the User FAQ:
>
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#can-i-install-qubes-on-a-system-without-vt-x
>
>> I understand that this means that:
>
>> o Not being able to use fully virtualized VMs (e.g., Windows-based qubes)
>
>> o No security benefit in having a separate NetVM
>
>> But the points I wont to understand are:
>
>> ~ Does this mean that one wont be able to install Windows in a VM in such system (that's it?)?
> Yes.
>
>> What does fully virtualized VM really mean?
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/glossary/#hvm
>
> In short: a VM running OS not necessary modified to be running in a VM.
>
>> ~ How is this relevant practically speaking? In other words, could an attacker deploy malware to NetVM (from an AppVM that is connected to the NetVM)? If not, in which situations can attacker get to the NetVM and therefore to dom0?
>
> The way you've descried, or using some remote attack directly on NetVM -
> because NetVM is what is facing external network directly.

Another, additional way of answering this question:

"On a system without VT-d, everything should work in the same way,
except there will be no real security benefit to having a separate
NetVM, as an attacker could always use a simple DMA attack to go from
the NetVM to Dom0."

Then read this:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/user-faq/#what-is-a-dma-attack

Basically, read the next two FAQ entries after the one you linked. :)

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org