Trouble seeing software installed in template vm in an appvm that uses the template

Brian LoBue

Jan 5, 2017, 10:58:33 PM1/5/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've installed ruby in a fedora 24 template vm via "sudo yum install
ruby". Everything seems fine at that point. "which ruby" points to
"/usr/bin/ruby". When I start an appvm that is based on the fedora 24
template vm "which ruby" indicates that no application is available. I'm
guessing I've missed something obvious. Is there something I need to do
to update the appvm's after installing software on the templatevm? Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Drew White

Jan 5, 2017, 11:04:13 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users, blob...@gmail.com

Did you create the appvm after the template updated?
if not, as root, run "updatedb", then try again.

Unman

Jan 6, 2017, 4:55:54 AM1/6/17
to Drew White, qubes-users, blob...@gmail.com
updatedb rebuilds the database used by 'locate' , whereas 'which' searches
through the path.
So either your PATH doesn't include /usr/bin (echo $PATH to check), or
you really don't have ruby there. If this is the case then either you are
using the wrong template or you started the qube before the template had
fully shut down. (Or the Qubes template implementation is broken.)

You shouldn't need to do anything additional for a template based qube.

Check you are using the template you think - qvm-prefs <name>
template.
Check in the template again.
Restart the qube when the template is fully shut down.
Test again.