Qubes-manager refuses to launch

har...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 7:19:17 AM12/14/16
to qubes-users
Hi there! Got a problem with a qubes-manager after updating and removing templateVM. Upgrading from fedora-24 to fedora-25 was successful, but I couldn't remove TVM fedora-24, because TVM was used by some AppVm as manager said (and it's not true, I changed default template as well as templates in any AppVms). I removed whole record in /var/lib/qubes/qubes.xml and now vm manager gives me import error (Unknown template with QID:x) or "<b>Error: 2, '\xd0\xd9\.. ..\xb0')</b>..." if I add a line manually (just copy line of another TVM and change QID, name, etc.., but I guess it's wrong, while that line requires uuid or smth else to be correct, and what I can't know).

Is there any way to deny qubes-manager to check that QID or change the list of TVMs?

Thanks...

Andrew David Wong

Dec 14, 2016, 9:02:19 AM12/14/16
to har...@gmail.com, qubes-users

har...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 9:31:46 AM12/14/16
to qubes-users, har...@gmail.com
I did that already, so...

That's the point - I can't run any command, cause vm-manager (and the process itself) seems to do not run, "dnf remove" reports of not-existing packets (cant match the arguments "qubes-template-fedora-24" and so on.. It is a record within *file where this VM mentioned and vm-manager checks it..)

#..... Yes, I have a Backup, but wish to repair this state... if it is impossible -> then ok, I'll do backup#

Andrew David Wong

Dec 14, 2016, 9:44:44 AM12/14/16
to har...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 14, 2016, 10:05:33 AM12/14/16
to Andrew David Wong, har...@gmail.com, qubes-users

johny...@sigaint.org

Dec 14, 2016, 11:23:24 AM12/14/16
to qubes-users, Andrew David Wong, har...@gmail.com

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 06:44:35AM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>> On 2016-12-14 06:31, har...@gmail.com wrote:
>> > I did that already, so...
>> >
>> > That's the point - I can't run any command, cause vm-manager (and
>> > the process itself) seems to do not run, "dnf remove" reports of
>> > not-existing packets (cant match the arguments
>> > "qubes-template-fedora-24" and so on.. It is a record within *file
>> > where this VM mentioned and vm-manager checks it..)
>> >
>> > #..... Yes, I have a Backup, but wish to repair this state... if it
>> > is impossible -> then ok, I'll do backup#
>> >

>> I understand. I'm afraid I don't know how to fix the broken state your
>> system is currently in, but maybe someone else does. My message was
>> mainly about how to avoid this situation from recurring in the future.
>
> At every system startup backup of qubes.xml is created in
> /var/lib/qubes/backup - you can restore it from there, then remove
> template using correct tools.

I have had cases when it appears that QubesManager appears like it will
not start, but the reason is because it sees another one running so holds
off (but sticks around). The other instance is windowless and usually
wedged somehow (typically on libvirt--I'm not a big fan of that layer).

As root, do a "ps ax | grep qubes-manager" to find the running process (a
python process). kill (or kill -9 if needed) that process #. All of
them, if there's more than one. Then re-run qubes-manager with
"qubes-manager".

If libvirtd is being stupid, a "sudo systemctl restart libvirtd". That
often wakes up a non-responsive system for me. (If that's the problem,
kill qubes-manager, restart libvirtd, then run qubes-manager.)

-JJ

har...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 10:14:02 PM12/14/16
to qubes-users, a...@qubes-os.org, har...@gmail.com
Yes, this is the exit for now (thanks for mentioning q-m-backups! I didn't know that), but not an answer for all)

legaw...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 2:03:40 PM12/16/16
to qubes-users
Well.. And how can I remove that fedora-24 TemplateVM. It says that I need to remove any of AppVMs which based on f24, but I have no such AppVMs.. Looks like broken record somewhere in conf. files or smth.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 16, 2016, 3:43:41 PM12/16/16
to legaw...@gmail.com, qubes-users

legaw...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 3:58:19 PM12/16/16
to qubes-users, legaw...@gmail.com
пятница, 16 декабря 2016 г., 23:43:41 UTC+3 пользователь Marek Marczykowski-Górecki написал:
Thanks!