Kernel 4.9 in Qubes

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Nov 19, 2016, 5:44:38 AM11/19/16
to qubes-users
AFAIK Qubes uses only LTS kernels for both dom0 and templates. Will Qubes be upgraded to the upcoming 4.9 kernel whenver final version is released? 4.9 is supposed to be the next LTS version.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 19, 2016, 5:58:21 AM11/19/16
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Dec 12, 2016, 11:32:21 AM12/12/16
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com
Kernel 4.9 has just been released
http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-kernel-4-9-officially-released-with-support-for-amd-radeon-si-gcn-1-0-gpus-510879.shtml
How much work is it to port Qubes specific code to a new kernel?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 12, 2016, 4:25:07 PM12/12/16
to Grzesiek Chodzicki, qubes-users

Holger Levsen

Feb 5, 2017, 6:25:53 PM2/5/17
to qubes-users
On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 10:25:01PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > Kernel 4.9 has just been released
> > How much work is it to port Qubes specific code to a new kernel?
> Probably not much, as we already have it ported to 4.8. But on the other
> hand, there are a lot of changes, so some time will be needed for
> updating build config, and testing. Also, in practice, I'd wait for
> 4.9.2 or so for things to stabilize.

any news on a 4.9 kernel for Qubes? I'm seeing rather frequent "deep sleep
suspends" where this machine wouldn't wake up(!) after suspend and I'm having
light hopes this might be fixed with a newer kernel…

(unfortunatly I dont have high hopes as I haven't seen such "deep sleep
issues" using 4.8 (non-xen) kernels from Debian…)

--
cheers,
Holger