Cryptsetup Vulnerability affects QubesOS?

bertho...@web.de

Nov 16, 2016, 2:10:48 PM11/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Fred

Nov 16, 2016, 4:31:27 PM11/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a fairly low priority to me. You can get initramfs shell in a
Busybox and have access to /boot (on some systems) and see the encrypted
drives. Some articles seemed to imply that you'd have access to the
decrypted data (which isn't possible!).

A good time to ask if Qubes encrypts /boot in it's LUKS setup. I've not
checked myself.

You'd get the same effect if you boot via GRUB to an initrd shell.

Vít Šesták

Nov 17, 2016, 2:20:20 AM11/17/16
to qubes-users
According to the description, it looks likely to affect Qubes.

According to my experience, I remember getting in the shell (from a different reason) and it asked for a password. I believe this happened when upgrading to 3.2 due to a mountpoint issue. This suggests that Qubes is not affected, but I haven't tried the exact scenario in Qubes.

The key question, however, is: How does it fit to your threat model? In my case, attacker would need a physical access. In such casse, she can also boot from an USB device and do the same, maybe even more comfortably. I am aware that there are some examples (e.g. ATM) where this can be a real issue. Even for those cases, I doubt this is a massive threat. Such devices have usually a fairly limited keyboard, which can make the vulnerability unusable. (I am assuming that attacker cannot attach a custom keyboard.)

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

john

Nov 17, 2016, 3:56:47 PM11/17/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Setting a boot password in the BIOS should mitigate adequately since
initrd does not execute until after boot password entry.
--

John R. Shannon

Andrew David Wong

Nov 19, 2016, 6:54:44 AM11/19/16
to Fred, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Achim Patzner

Nov 19, 2016, 7:55:28 AM11/19/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 19.11.2016 um 12:54 schrieb Andrew David Wong:
> By default, Qubes does not encrypt /boot. Traditionally, that's
> because doing so would render the
> system unbootable. However, that's no longer true with newer versions
> of GRUB, which are now capable
> of booting from encrypted block devices.

There is still the option of grub-less EFI booting. With exotic setups
like mine which is getting its boot loader from an external USB device
that unlocks boot and compares checksums of relevant files to a table
stored on that external device.

Achim

Fred

Nov 19, 2016, 2:20:59 PM11/19/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-11-19 11:54, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2016-11-16 13:31, Fred wrote:
>> A good time to ask if Qubes encrypts /boot in it's LUKS setup. I've
>> not
>> checked myself.
>>

> By default, Qubes does not encrypt /boot. Traditionally, that's
> because doing so would render the
> system unbootable. However, that's no longer true with newer versions
> of GRUB, which are now capable
> of booting from encrypted block devices. So, it's worth considering
> for Qubes. Tracking:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2442

Yup. I know these days GRUB supports LUKS and things like mdadm, LVM etc
so the days are hopefully gone since people need to worry about the
position of /boot on disk or which esoterica are required to boot (and
any intitrd issues).

I guess the bigger question is if it actually provides any real added
protection? Someone can still re-install GRUB by booting from other
media and reinstalling GRUB. If the authenticity of /boot can also be
verified then maybe it does? But once physical access is gained the game
is over I guess?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 19, 2016, 2:31:52 PM11/19/16
to Fred, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Tai...@gmx.com

Nov 19, 2016, 3:23:27 PM11/19/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Or considering as coreboot (and the proprietary firmwares) doesn't
initialize IOMMU (yet), a DMA attack in the pre-linux dma prot initl
window is also a viable option.
Turtles all the way down man.

Eva Star

Nov 24, 2016, 4:19:24 PM11/24/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/19/2016 10:31 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Yes, exactly

Is it possible to check non encrypted boot part of the disk for
checksums after OS was loaded and warn user about some changes? ( or
check some files on boot part)
Is it a good idea?

Or maybe some USB disk with loader which will do the same. And user
User periodically will be able to check his disk.

--
Regards

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 24, 2016, 5:41:00 PM11/24/16