#2 .odt files and LibreOffice Install

IntersolarMN

Nov 11, 2016, 8:24:22 PM11/11/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the tips. I'm still struggling with installing LibreOffice.

In order to obtain a copy of the LibreOffice install file onto the Template: fedora23 domain, I'll need some new steps.

I can launch the Web Browser from the Template: fedora23 domain, but it will not go to any website, including the LibreOffice website or Google. SERVER NOT FOUND error occurs.

I have launched a Web Browser from both an [untrusted] and [work] domain, and was able to download copies of the LibreOffice_5.1.6_Linux_x86-64_rpm.tar.gz file to both of these domains' Download folders.

I cannot, however, copy either version of the install file to the Fedora23 domain, even when using CTRL/SHIFT/C followed by CTRL/SHIFT/V. Perhaps it could be done in Terminal, but I would need to ask someone for the commands and directories to do this.

If I attempt to launch Software from within Fedora23, there are no office or word processor options launching, and not even searching for Libre will help.

Can someone provide the directory/directories I could go to in Terminal and what commands to run to move the install file into the Fedora23 and run it?

If you have any additional methods, please let me know. Also, I tried to reply to the original topic's email and - although it sent - it did not create an addition in the Google Group topic.

Sec Tester

Nov 11, 2016, 9:03:10 PM11/11/16
to qubes-users, Inter...@protonmail.com
try : sudo dnf install libreoffice

Here's how to copy paste between qubes os VM's;
CTRL + C
CTRL + Shift + C

then go to VM you want to copy to

CTRL + Shitf + v
CTRL + V

IntersolarMN

Nov 12, 2016, 3:39:47 AM11/12/16
to Sec Tester, qubes-users
sudo dnf install libreoffice yielded the following results, despite multiple attempts:

Error: Error downloading pachages:
   Cannot download l/libreoffice-core-5.0.6.2-10.fc23.x86_64.rpm: All mirrors were tried

Additionally, in the Software applicaton, LibreOffice is missing, including when I search for it, which only brings up Sipe and nothing else.

I need a new method.

Sec Tester

Nov 12, 2016, 4:03:00 AM11/12/16
to qubes-users, sectest...@gmail.com, Inter...@protonmail.com
Your trying to modify the fedora-23 template correct?
Is sys-firewall specified as its net VM?
If not, set the fedora-23 template NetVM to sys-firewall.
Then try "sudo dnf install libreoffice"

Do your other app VM's have internet access?

If not.
Does sys-firewall have sys-net set as its "NetVM"?

==========
Ping tests
==========
Open terminal in sys-Net. Try: ping www.google.com
If that works
Open terminal in sys-firewall. Then > ping www.google.com

If there is no ping result even from sys-net, then you have to check if the adaptor has been asigned, and is enabled.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/assigning-devices/

Just so you know, you cant ping or browse internet from a template, but it should still be able to update, and install packages via dnf.

sometimes stopping all the VM's and restarting them fixes internet.

worst case, you could replace the fedora-23 template with a fresh one from qubes.

in dom0 open a terminal.
sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=reinstall qubes-template-package-name
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/reinstall-template/

if non of that works. maybe easier to just reinstall Qubes OS?

IntersolarMN

Nov 12, 2016, 7:28:47 AM11/12/16
to Sec Tester, qubes-users
>Your trying to modify the fedora-23 template correct? Yes.
>Is sys-firewall specified as its net VM? Yes.
>Do your other app VM's have internet access? Yes.
>Does sys-firewall have sys-net set as its "NetVM"? Yes.
>Sys-net and Sys-firewall pings to Google both were successful.
>After restarting Qubes, launching fedora-23 terminal, and then running sudo dnf install libreoffice, the command eventually lead to the following message:
Error: Error downloading packages: Cannot download l/libreoffice-core-5.0.6.2-10.fc23.x86_64.rpm: All mirrors were tried
(Also note that during additional attempts of re-running the sudo command, various other errors would appear including "Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates')
     Before attempting to reinstall the fedora-23 template, I want to point out a possible culprit. During bootup of Qubes, the following error appears twice very rapidly in different sections of the bootup process: FAILED: Failed to load start load kernels or Failed to load Kernel Modules. See specs below. Please advise.

Specs:
Qubes Version 3.2 (R3.2)
Qubes Default Kernel 4.4.14.11
Intel core i3 2.4GHz M370
4096MB SDRAM DDR3
120GB SSD

Thank you.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Sec Tester

Nov 12, 2016, 7:59:46 AM11/12/16
to qubes-users, sectest...@gmail.com, Inter...@protonmail.com
Im not sure about the kernel problem, maybe one of the Qubes team will have advice on that, post the error log if you can find it.

One other small thing that you've probably tried.

sudo dnf upgrade

Good luck

IntersolarMN

Nov 12, 2016, 10:31:10 AM11/12/16
to Sec Tester, qubes-users
Can someone provide me with the terminal commands (from template: fedoara-23) to receive the downloaded LibreOffice install file (LibreOffice_5.2.3_Linux_x86-64_rpm.tar.gz) from the [work: web browser], and then run the installation script?

Alternatively, could you provide the terminal commands from [work] domain to the Fedora-23 template?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Nov 12, 2016, 6:24:16 PM11/12/16
to IntersolarMN, Sec Tester, qubes-users

IntersolarMN

Nov 12, 2016, 9:33:24 PM11/12/16
to Sec Tester, qubes-users
Can someone provide me with the terminal commands (from template: fedoara-23) to receive the downloaded LibreOffice install file (LibreOffice_5.2.3_Linux_x86-64_rpm.tar.gz) from the [work: web browser] Downloads, and then run the installation script?

Sec Tester

Nov 13, 2016, 12:30:07 AM11/13/16
to qubes-users, sectest...@gmail.com, Inter...@protonmail.com
you want to copy the file from your work VM to the fedora-23 template and then install all with terminal?

1)open terminal in your workVM
2)ls (useful to lists directories/files)
3)cd Downloads (or where ever you saved it)
4)qvm-copy-to-vm "DestinationVM" filename

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-tools/qvm-copy-to-vm/

4)sudo dnf install /path/to/package.rpm
(path will likely be /home/user/QubesIncoming/nameofsendingVM)

That should get libreoffice installed for you.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 13, 2016, 4:22:53 PM11/13/16
to Sec Tester, qubes-users, Inter...@protonmail.com