Xscreensaver not working when app-menu is open

Mike A.

Oct 30, 2016, 6:28:39 AM10/30/16
to qubes-users
Installed qubes-os on a Lenovo T430s, and almost everything seem to work pretty well.

Normally when I put the laptop away, I just close the lid and it goes to sleep. when I open the lid, Xscreensaver have kicked in, and I have to put in my password to start using it. So far, so good.

But if I open the application menu band then close the lid, the screensaver does not kick in. When I open the lid later, I can start using the machine just where I left it.

I am running Qubes 3.2 with Xfce.

Can anyone else recreate this, or is it just a problem locally here (user error at my end)?

Cheers,

Mike A.

yaqu

Oct 30, 2016, 10:48:22 AM10/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 03:28:39 -0700 (PDT), "Mike A."
<anders...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But if I open the application menu band then close the lid, the
> screensaver does not kick in. When I open the lid later, I can start
> using the machine just where I left it.
>
> I am running Qubes 3.2 with Xfce.
>
> Can anyone else recreate this, or is it just a problem locally here
> (user error at my end)?

I have tested it on Lenovo T520 (R3.2, Xfce) and got the same behaviour - closing lid has no effect while appmenu is opened. I have tested it with various settings in Xfce Power Manager (lock screen, suspend, switch off display). When appmenu is closed, closing lid works as expected.

Additionally, locking screen manually (Ctrl-Alt-L) doesn't work too while appmenu is opened.

--
yaqu

Alex

Oct 30, 2016, 10:51:08 AM10/30/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
It's a known problem of X (as an architecture); it prevents any
succesful implementation of the concept of lock screens. It does not
only affect Xfce, but all other desktop environments - actually, it
affects all X11 implementations on any platform because screen locking
is a scenario not provided by the architecture. You may check on
https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2015/01/why-screen-lockers-on-x11-cannot-be-secure/
for an extended explanation of the concept, from the perspective of KDE
developers. One common symptom is the one you described; i.e. opening
any menu prevents screen-savers or screen-lockers from running.

Our only reasonable hope in the relatively-near future is Wayland, whose
architecture does provide for a screen-locking scenario; the adoption in
Qubes may not be straightforward because of the way windows are cloned
from the VMs into dom0. In short, qubes-guid needs to be able to
screengrab every window, which is something Wayland tries to prevent for
privacy and security concerns.

--
Alex

george

Nov 3, 2016, 12:58:13 AM11/3/16
to qubes-users

I actually can't even lock the screen with Ctrl+Alt+L. I went over the ~/.xscreensaver config file and just about every other thing mentioned online, but no matter what I do, it just blanks the screen without locking. I'm on XFCE. I found out the KDE one worked just fine though, but only in the KDE session.

Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but I tried anything I could come up with for fixing it and it's not working for me.