Can't seeem to get program to start via rc.local?

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 3:57:06 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users
I have been trying to get a program to startup when the AppVM that its setup in starts up by adding a line to the rc.local file.

I changed rc.local to executable, and after the first few tries added in programs that should definitely start (I thought) like firefox (just to test). But still every time I start the appvm, nothing? Is it the rc.local that is supposed to be used or another init file?

Unman

Oct 14, 2016, 5:28:01 PM10/14/16
to gaikokuji...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 12:57:06PM -0700, gaikokuji...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have been trying to get a program to startup when the AppVM that its setup in starts up by adding a line to the rc.local file.
>
> I changed rc.local to executable, and after the first few tries added in programs that should definitely start (I thought) like firefox (just to test). But still every time I start the appvm, nothing? Is it the rc.local that is supposed to be used or another init file?

Depending on what you want to start rc.local is almost certainly
not the best place. It's too early in the boot.
For user stuff like firefox you could add an entry to .profile: this
will start the program when you start the qube.

unman

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 5:55:35 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 3:57:06 PM UTC-4, gaikokuji...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have been trying to get a program to startup when the AppVM that its setup in starts up by adding a line to the rc.local file.
>
> I changed rc.local to executable, and after the first few tries added in programs that should definitely start (I thought) like firefox (just to test). But still every time I start the appvm, nothing? Is it the rc.local that is supposed to be used or another init file?

it doesn't really start gui programs if thats what you were trying. you have to add those to autostart. You can create ~/.config/autostart/ and add a .desktop file in there.

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 6:19:01 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

I tried the .profile option before I saw your post but it seems to have worked (for a file syncing service frontend). I didn't quite follow your .desktop suggestion though would I add the path to the x file in the .desktop file? (could come in handy later so might as will understand it now).

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 7:27:16 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

I don't quite understand what you are asking. maybe this will help. https://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2010/04/07/anatomy-of-a-desktop-file/
You can also look in your system for examples usually in /etx/xdg/autostart.

Unman

Oct 14, 2016, 8:03:21 PM10/14/16
to gaikokuji...@gmail.com, qubes-users
If it helps I have this in one of my qubes:
.config/autostart/xterm.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Xterm
Exec=xterm
Terminal=false
Type=Application

When the qube starts it spawns an xterm.
The crucial line , of course, is Exec=xterm

unman

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 8:59:46 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org

you can put the full path in exec line and can always just point to a script. path line for working directory I use one for pglgui

pleo...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 11:35:24 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com
after reboot in systems should be to run also on cron
@ reboot

but Qubes is build on Fedora mostly and it not have even cron.

i think best way is to build on debian or FreeBSD not this stupid fedora.For sake this is so administratively wrong.

Andrew David Wong

Oct 15, 2016, 1:12:48 AM10/15/16
to pleo...@gmail.com, qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com