Qubes 3.2 rc2 has been released!

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 28, 2016, 8:44:53 AM7/28/16
to qubes-users
Message has been deleted

Andrew David Wong

Jul 28, 2016, 10:48:07 AM7/28/16
to neilh...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Chris Laprise

Jul 28, 2016, 12:49:33 PM7/28/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users

Iestyn Best

Jul 28, 2016, 7:53:51 PM7/28/16
to qubes-users
Thank you guys, great work.

Just a little side note, yesterday when I updated it seemed to break my window borders in KDE. I am now using XFCE and all seems fine.

I have not tried KDE again today, just trying to get use to XFCE now as that is your focus now.

neilh...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2016, 7:46:05 AM7/29/16
to qubes-users
The QUBES website incorrectly lists the file size for 3.2-rc2

It still lists:

"4.8 GB (4,816,109,568 bytes)"

It's actually now small enough to fit within a DVD disc now. 3.92 GB

Andrew David Wong

Jul 29, 2016, 2:24:14 PM7/29/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Chris Laprise, qubes-users

Qubed One

Jul 29, 2016, 2:59:52 PM7/29/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Iestyn Best:
> Thank you guys, great work.
>
> Just a little side note, yesterday when I updated it seemed to break my window borders in KDE. I am now using XFCE and all seems fine.
>
> I have not tried KDE again today, just trying to get use to XFCE now as that is your focus now.

I can't link to the exact message right now (qubes-devel, Marek, thread
named "Window Borders", fifth message in the thread), but these
instructions fix that issue in KDE:

"Try this:

Go to system settings -> Application Style -> Window Decorations. It
should be set to "Breeze". If it is set to "Plastik", it may be the
cause of the problems.

If this is the case, I think this may be related to KDE update done by
Fedora recently (a lot of kf5-* packages), so unrelated to
qubes-gui-dom0 version."

'109384'0194328'0193284'09132'84098

Jul 30, 2016, 1:16:12 AM7/30/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

if I try to upgrade the VMs like described under...

Upgrade Fedora templates:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/

I run into this error:

sudo dnf install --enablerepo=qubes*testing --refresh qubes-upgrade-vm

Error: Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'updates'

How I can upgrade the VMs to Q32?

Kind Regards

Andrew David Wong

Jul 30, 2016, 1:40:36 AM7/30/16
to '109384'0194328'0193284'09132'84098, qubes-users

arthur....@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2016, 5:10:16 PM7/31/16
to qubes-users
Two questions:
1) Do you have a list of specific things that you would like users to check based on changes/fixes you made from RC1 to RC2? I've got RC2 installed and would gladly provide feedback.
2) As a new user to the community, where is the preferred place to post bugs? So far, I've just been dumping them in the qubes-users section (I reported my snd_hda_intel issue), but I'm not sure if that's where you want them to go.

Thanks!

Andrew David Wong

Jul 31, 2016, 5:32:52 PM7/31/16
to arthur....@gmail.com, qubes-users, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Andrew "Arthur" Summers

Jul 31, 2016, 5:38:57 PM7/31/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-users, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Awesome! I figured going through the release notes would be the best thing to do, but I imagine that there are some more specific tests that the team would like to have executed. I'll wait for Marek to respond first.

Note that for me, I couldn't get the installer for RC1 to load. 3.1 worked just fine, though. So far, the only big difference I've found is my soundcard not being configured correctly, and it caused things like standby and resume to not work right (already reported, but happy to provide more details - just ask).

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 7:42:58 PM7/31/16
to Andrew David Wong, arthur....@gmail.com, qubes-users

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 02:32:38PM -0700, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2016-07-31 14:10, arthur....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Two questions: 1) Do you have a list of specific things that you would
> > like users to check based on changes/fixes you made from RC1 to RC2? I've
> > got RC2 installed and would gladly provide feedback.
>
> Thank you for offering to test it! It would be great if you could specifically
> test the new changes from the previous release candidate. (Marek, do we have a
> fine-grained way to view those changes? It looks like our lowest level of
> granularity is point releases, e.g., R3.1 to R3.2, but not R3.2-rc1 to
> R3.2-rc2.)

Indeed, we don't have such high level list. In fact the only real change
was switching away from KDE. Besides that, only a lot of bug fixes.

> Here are the release notes for R3.2:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/releases/3.2/release-notes/
>
> As that page points out, you can find more detailed descriptions and
> discussions in completed GitHub issues with the "Release 3.2" milestone:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues?q=is%3Aissue+sort%3Aupdated-desc+
> milestone%3A%22Release+3.2%22+label%3Arelease-notes+is%3Aclosed
>
> (But as I mentioned above, this doesn't really distinguish between changes
> that occurred in R3.2-rc1 and R3.2-rc2. I think it would still be helpful to
> test both, though.)
>
> > 2) As a new user to the community, where is the preferred place to post
> > bugs? So far, I've just been dumping them in the qubes-users section (I
> > reported my snd_hda_intel issue), but I'm not sure if that's where you
> > want them to go.
>
> Thanks for asking! All bugs have to go into qubes-issues on GitHub eventually
> so that we can track what gets fixed, so if you're certain that something is a
> bug and you don't mind using GitHub to report it, please feel free to open an
> issue on GitHub. However, if you're not sure that something is a bug or if you
> don't want to use GitHub for any reason, then it's perfectly fine to write to
> the mailing list instead. (Not a big deal either way.)

Yes, exactly.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

raah...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2016, 12:54:14 PM8/1/16
to qubes-users, a...@qubes-os.org, arthur....@gmail.com
fresh install went well. Everything good so far. Nice to see a restart vm button in qubes-manager now.