How to correctly install software to template from binary archives

Eva Star

Jun 29, 2016, 10:54:48 AM6/29/16
to qubes-users
So software come at binary archives or I must compile it myself.

How to correctly install this software to templatevm? Where to locate new software folder?
And how to add links to make it visible for qvm-sync-apps ?

E.g. I download Firefox Developer Edition. The archive contain "firefox" folder. How to add it to template, app launcher and Qubes Manager?
Thanks

Andrew David Wong

Jun 29, 2016, 11:31:12 PM6/29/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

Eva Star

Jul 3, 2016, 7:43:56 AM7/3/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com

3. Install it in the TemplateVM.
How to install it? What is the unix way for this? If I have only directory of the program without installer? Where is the best place to store such apps?

4. Edit your app launcher menu to add the command that launches the
app. (This doesn't make it visible to qvm-sync-apps. I think you have
to make a .desktop file to do that; not sure.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "How to add it to... Qubes Manager."
Programs aren't added to Qubes Manager.

With "How to add it to.. Qubes Manager" I'm exactly mean paragraph 4. from your answer. In other words How to create .desktop shortcut and where to save it at TemplateVM to make such manual added applications visible for  qvm-sync-apps
Maybe also need to add this information to Qubes Docs:

 Thanks for you answer!

Andrew David Wong

Jul 3, 2016, 11:27:48 AM7/3/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

Eva Star

Jul 3, 2016, 3:24:56 PM7/3/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com

Oh, I thought you were saying it's an installer. If it's just a
standalone executable, I suppose you can put it wherever you like.
Maybe /home would make sense? You could even put it in the /home of an
AppVM (instead of a TemplateVM), if you like, since it'll persist
across reboots there.

But what is about the situation, when I want to have it at all VMs and I want quick links at "Start" menu generated with qvm-app-sync ?
It's not a problem to store it at any location. But how to add shortcut for Qubes Sync? Need to find the answer....

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 3, 2016, 7:55:29 PM7/3/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 3, 2016, 8:45:23 PM7/3/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users
On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 03:24:09AM +0300, Eva Star wrote:

> > Those links are generated from standard location: /usr/share/applications
> > You need to put .desktop file for your application. Take a look at
> > existing files there for examples.
> >
> > After you create new file there, execute `qvm-sync-appmenus` in dom0
> > (with template VM name as an argument).
>
> Thanks for the information :) Seems its works only for TemplateVM?
> Is it possible to somehow add custom links from AppVM to Start menu ->
> AppVM(domain) &

Currently no - this works only for TemplateVMs, and StandaloneVMs - i.e.
only where /usr/share/applications persists.
signature.asc

Eva Star

Jul 4, 2016, 7:14:48 AM7/4/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com