Restored win7 AppVM now w/ issues? shortcuts gone? qvm-sync-appmenus & start VM for WTI errors?

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 7:55:21 PM6/16/16
to qubes-users
I had managed to get a nice win7 HVM working, updates and all so first thing I did was backup that vm. I tried restoring it later and found that it again (a problem I was having before) wasn't able to update and (unlike before) all the shortcuts were missing except for "start"?

I gave up on MS's updates and just used WSUS and that worked well enough so I won't bother with trying to figure out why win isn't updating properly but the shortcuts would come in handy as it does kind of defeat much of the purpose if I can't start the win apps in their own windows.

qvm-sync-appmenus win7 (my template

and it said the Needs qrexec agent installed

I installed it previously and it seemed to be working fine at the time I had made a backup. Anyway, from the VM manager I tried to start VM for window tools installation but got an internal error libxenlight failed to create win7

I'm running out of ideas...

Thoughts?

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 9:01:56 PM6/16/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

btw, here is the WTI error i get

[gaiko@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start win7 --install-windows-tools
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 131, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 115, in main
xid = vm.start(verbose=options.verbose, preparing_dvm=options.preparing_dvm, start_guid=not options.noguid, notify_function=tray_notify_generic if options.tray else None)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/01QubesHVm.py", line 326, in start
return super(QubesHVm, self).start(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/000QubesVm.py", line 1901, in start
self.libvirt_domain.createWithFlags(libvirt.VIR_DOMAIN_START_PAUSED)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1059, in createWithFlags
if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreateWithFlags() failed', dom=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain 'win7'
[gaiko@dom0 ~]$

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 17, 2016, 4:53:17 AM6/17/16
to gaikokuji...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 06:01:56PM -0700, gaikokuji...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 7:55:21 PM UTC-4, gaikokuji...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I had managed to get a nice win7 HVM working, updates and all so first thing I did was backup that vm. I tried restoring it later and found that it again (a problem I was having before) wasn't able to update and (unlike before) all the shortcuts were missing except for "start"?
> >
> > I gave up on MS's updates and just used WSUS and that worked well enough so I won't bother with trying to figure out why win isn't updating properly but the shortcuts would come in handy as it does kind of defeat much of the purpose if I can't start the win apps in their own windows.
> >
> > qvm-sync-appmenus win7 (my template
> >
> > and it said the Needs qrexec agent installed
> >
> > I installed it previously and it seemed to be working fine at the time I had made a backup. Anyway, from the VM manager I tried to start VM for window tools installation but got an internal error libxenlight failed to create win7
> >
> > I'm running out of ideas...

If you have windows tools installed in that HVM, check output of
`qvm-prefs win7` command - you have `qrexec_installed` flag here - if
it's set to False, change it to True (`qvm-prefs -s win7
qrexec_installed True`).

In theory it should be done automatically if you have tools installed.
So first make sure you have them there.

> > Thoughts?
>
> btw, here is the WTI error i get
>
> [gaiko@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start win7 --install-windows-tools
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 131, in <module>
> main()
> File "/usr/bin/qvm-start", line 115, in main
> xid = vm.start(verbose=options.verbose, preparing_dvm=options.preparing_dvm, start_guid=not options.noguid, notify_function=tray_notify_generic if options.tray else None)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/01QubesHVm.py", line 326, in start
> return super(QubesHVm, self).start(*args, **kwargs)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubes/modules/000QubesVm.py", line 1901, in start
> self.libvirt_domain.createWithFlags(libvirt.VIR_DOMAIN_START_PAUSED)
> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1059, in createWithFlags
> if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreateWithFlags() failed', dom=self)
> libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain 'win7'
> [gaiko@dom0 ~]$

You have probably run into this:

You need to have `qubes-windows-tools` package installed. Take a look
here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-tools-3/#tocAnchor-1-1-5

- --
Best Regards,