Disabling lesspipe in dom0

Vít Šesták

May 26, 2015, 3:58:26 AM5/26/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I've realized that dom0 has lesspipe enabled by default. This adds some opportunity for attacks, e.g. through VM logs. See http://www.computerworld.com/article/2851504/less-is-more-to-malware-authors-targeting-linux-users.html for more details.

Unfortunately, you can't fully remove lesspipe in a Fedora way without removing less itself. (And if you just remove lesspipe.sh or one of related profile scripts, you will get it again with a less update.) You can, however, unset LESSOPEN and LESSCLOSE environment variables in .bashrc. One should do it for both ordinary user and root.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 26, 2015, 4:25:50 PM5/26/15
to Vít Šesták, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Vít Šesták

May 27, 2015, 5:33:39 PM5/27/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, groups-no-private-mail--con...@v6ak.com

Actually we can disable it globally by creating something like
/etc/profile.d/zz-disable-lesspipe.sh:
unset LESSOPEN LESSCLOSE

If alphabetical ordering is guaranteed, it seems to be the best way for Qubes.

Should I open an issue?

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki