Qubes fails to boot using RX 5700 XT

Jarrah Gosbell

Oct 30, 2019, 5:45:38 PM10/30/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have upgraded an existing Qubes system to use the AMD RX 5700 XT.
However, when booting with Xen, the driver is unable to install the GPUs
firmware. I receive the following error message:

```

amdgpu [...]: (-14) failed to allocate kernel bo
amdgpu [...]: failed to create kernel buffer for firmware.
amdgpu [...]: amdgpu_device_ip_init failed
amdgpu [...]: Fatal error during GPU init.

```

On the standard tty output, the screen will go blank at this point. On
the serial hypervisor console, I receive the above error message and
eventually am dropped at a non-interactive console login screen.

Solutions I have tried:

- Initially, the navi_* firmware files did not exist. I have added these
from a Fedora 30 install.

- All attempts have been on kernel-latest. Older kernels do not support
this card.

- Allocate exactly 6GB to dom0 to ensure no OOM or similar conditions
exist.

- Allocate exactly 4vcpus pinned to dom0.

- Tried multiple IOMMU settings and increased swiotlb.

- Booted Qubes without Xen. System boots perfectly to graphical login.

- All three options of amdgpu.fw_load_type with the following results

    0) Graphical system without Xen stops display. Can be interacted
with without the screen (eg ctl-alt-del results in a reboot). Xen
console session gives the below error:

```

[drm:amdgpu_device_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* hw_init of IP block failed

```

    1/2) Graphical system boots fine. Xen console session shows the
first error described above.

I have been discussing this on Github here:

Thanks.

awokd

Oct 31, 2019, 10:17:53 AM10/31/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Jarrah Gosbell:
> I have upgraded an existing Qubes system to use the AMD RX 5700 XT.
> However, when booting with Xen, the driver is unable to install the GPUs
> firmware. I receive the following error message:
>
> ```
>
> amdgpu [...]: (-14) failed to allocate kernel bo
> amdgpu [...]: failed to create kernel buffer for firmware.
> amdgpu [...]: amdgpu_device_ip_init failed
> amdgpu [...]: Fatal error during GPU init.

> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5416

Saw you tried kernel-latest. Was that a 5.x version? If not, check if
it's available in Qubes repos (unstable?). Also, since you have built an
ISO try making a 4.1 one. It will have a newer version of Xen and dom0.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Jarrah Gosbell

Oct 31, 2019, 8:41:27 PM10/31/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> Have you tried taking out iommu=no-igfx (in both places) and/or
i915.alpha_support=1?

I have just tried this. No change. Using the serial console still
results in the same kernel panic. Without the serial console, there is
no output from Dom0.

I also was recommend pci=nocrs in the console output while testing. Same
result for this.

Of interest, while testing the above I accidentally left the Nvidia GPU
active. I received exactly the same kernel panic in serial console with
the Nvidia GPU as I usually do with the iGPU. It may be that the error I
am looking at is a result of the console, and the real error is
something else.

Thanks.

Jarrah Gosbell

Oct 31, 2019, 8:47:02 PM10/31/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Please disregard the above. I replied to the wrong email.

> Saw you tried kernel-latest. Was that a 5.x version?

It was. 5.3.7 is the version I have installed.

> Also, since you have built an ISO try making a 4.1 one.

Currently building. I'll get back when it's done.

Jarrah Gosbell

Nov 1, 2019, 1:30:09 AM11/1/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> Also, since you have built an

> ISO try making a 4.1 one.

Having difficulty getting this to build. Qubes builder on a fedora 29
qube. `make qubes` runs fine. But `make iso` fails with the following
output:

```
-> Building installer-qubes-os iso for fc29 (logfile:
build-logs/installer-qubes-os-iso-fc29.log)...
--> build failed!
  - conflicting requests
  - package kdump-anaconda-addon-005-2.20180730git966223e.fc29.noarch
requires anaconda >= 21.33, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package anaconda-29.24.7-1.fc29.x86_64 requires
anaconda-install-env-deps = 29.24.7-1.fc29, but none of the providers
can be installed
  - package anaconda-29.24.7-2.fc29.x86_64 requires
anaconda-install-env-deps = 29.24.7-2.fc29, but none of the providers
can be installed
  - cannot install both anaconda-install-env-deps-29.24.7-1.fc29.x86_64
and anaconda-install-env-deps-1000:29.24.7-3.fc29.x86_64
  - cannot install both anaconda-install-env-deps-29.24.7-2.fc29.x86_64
and anaconda-install-env-deps-1000:29.24.7-3.fc29.x86_64
  - nothing provides xen-libs = 4.12.1-2.fc29 needed by
xen-runtime-2001:4.12.1-2.fc29.x86_64
```