HP PRINTER PROBLEM

higgin...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 2:52:25 PM12/10/16
to qubes-users
Have Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fdw.

Works fine in my standard DEBIAN 8.6 setup - did a manual install of latest HPLIP to achieve this.

Am experimenting with QUBES - and progressing OK - but just can't get printer working.

Have tried full install of latest HPLIP within QUBES in Debian, similar in Fedora - in templates and APPVm's.

Have tried to add USB controllers to particular VM's, read endless summaries of problems for previous users - all to no avail.

Can anyone suggest a simple summary of actions that I can follow - so I can get QUBES DEBIAN to recognise printer.

Thanks in advance.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 10:46:23 PM12/10/16
to qubes-users, higgin...@gmail.com

make sure to shut down template and reboot appvm. test the printer within the templatevm before trying in appvm, temporarily allow it net access.

JPL

Dec 11, 2016, 5:19:48 PM12/11/16
to qubes-users, higgin...@gmail.com
"Good luck" is the best I can offer. I tried a while ago with an HP printer and gave up. Would be good if someone who has succeeded could provide a walkthrough.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2016, 8:04:42 PM12/11/16
On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 5:19:48 PM UTC-5, JPL wrote:
> "Good luck" is the best I can offer. I tried a while ago with an HP printer and gave up. Would be good if someone who has succeeded could provide a walkthrough.

I use a couple networked hp printers on a couple qubes machines Its no different then installing on linux really. Not sure all the steps offhand, but install hplip or hp-setup, run hp-setup. temp allow net access and print a test page from template-vm. If it works load appvm and it should just work. I've never had an issue with it.

higgin...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 8:04:07 AM12/14/16
to qubes-users, higgin...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

Have finally managed to get it working!

Fedora (which I had not used before) was OK but Debian(my normal OS) was a problem! An issue for me was that the relevant drivers were in HPLIP version 3.15.11 onwards. Standard Fedora in Qubes uses 3.16.3 whereas Debian in QUBES uses 3.14.6. This in itself was not a major issue in that I've installed a newer version of HPLIP in my normal Debian setup - but replicating that here caused problems. I won't summarise endless failures but try and summarise how I eventually succeeded.

Started with ETHERNET connection from ROUTER to PRINTER.
With Fedora I installed yumex-dnf and system-config-printer. A look at yumex showed that HPLIP was already there - v 3.16.3. Then in terminal i used system-config-printer which opened up the add printer menu. Went for the network option and entered Network Connected IP from Printer in host field. This gave sub -menu where I think JetDirect and App Socket/HP Jetdirect fields were needed. A list of all HP printers appeared from where I could select Colorjet MFP M477fdw. Enter a couple of times and it all worked.

With Debian, i installed SYNAPTIC - a check there shows no HPLIP installed and offers 3.14.6. I then googled HP LINUX IMAGING AND PRINTING . Followed steps 1 to 7 - but not step 8. Latter worked fine on normal Debian setup - but didn't seem to work here - this was the major frustration.
Instead I keyed "sudo hp-setup -i PRINTERIP" in terminal. Interactive process installed additional plugin - but this was straightforward - basically just accepting defaults. The process recognised my printer and everything worked. However when trying to get access to printer in a new VM I had problems and got in a mess with references to "shared", "enabled" in printer dialogue box on PC screen. Printer IP keeps changing - which maybe the problem or not . At this stage I was still happy because at least I'd seen something print. THEN went for another option - went back to USB connection between printer and PC. On printer screen I went to SETUP/NETWORK SETUP/ IP4 CONFIG METHOD and chose MANUAL option - and went with the default offered - 192.169.xxx.xxx.Having done the 1st 7 steps of the HP LINUX IMAGING AND PRINTING NOTE already with DEBIAN QUBES, I simply had to key "sudo hp-setup -i 192.168.xxx.xxx" in terminal.
It all flowed through again to successful conclusion.
EVERYTHING APPEARS TO WORK!!!!

Presumably my printer IP ADDRESS is now static. Whether or not I opened up any security weakness in QUBES I'm not sure but at the moment I don't care -my printer is working! Intend to do more reading from an old UBUNTU manual - on networking and PRINTING WITH CUPS - the experience of the last few days might enable me to understand the relevant chapters a bit better. As a pensioner I have a bit time on my hands - so I can experiment endlessly on the spare hard drive I'm using - before committing to moving to QUBES completely. Am likely to do this - but want to get to feel at ease with QUBES in a test environment first - so will probably convert in NEW YEAR. Hope this note is useful for anyone else with PRINTER problems and THANKS AGAIN FOR COMMENTS.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2016, 4:30:18 PM12/17/16
to qubes-users, higgin...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

sorry I should of mentioned I use fedora for printing. I actually use a disposable vm to print everything based on a cloned fedora template.