Screen corruption on nvidia

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 15, 2016, 8:10:42 AM8/15/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I realize that nVidia's aren't the preferred video card, but (being
divorce-poor) one sometimes has to make do with what one has. :)

With my on-board nVidia (GeForce7100) and the nouveau driver (on both
Tails and Qubes), things work okay, then suddenly at some random point the
screen gets filled with diagonal line garbage, and things are
unresponsive. (The system seems to still be running, but the screen is
pooched and keyboard seems unresponsive, and no Alt-F1'ing or whatever
will get it back. Processes still seem to be running though, and the
ethernet light is blinking normally as traffic goes in an out, etc.)

So I put in a PCI card, nVidia Geforce 7300, which seems solid, works
perfectly under Tails.

However, under Qubes, I experience random screen corruption.

See: https://i.imgur.com/ovEFgYO.png

It's usually fewer horizontal lines than in that snap, but I thought I'd
include an extreme example to show the problem.

It usually happens when the system is a bit busier CPU-wise/memory-wise,
but otherwise functioning fine. Moving the window, or switching to
another window and back, clears up the corruption.

Screen corruption like that could be a sign of some wild pointer or other
memory management bug, so I thought I'd bring it up.

The paranoid half of me (okay, okay, I'll admit, it's more than half)
worries it might be some attempted DMA attack.

(I've been, and continue to be, the subject of some rather high-end
professional hacking over the years, which adds to the concern.)

I've read about attacks where screen memory is used to stuff code and run
it to escalate privileges. And the nature of the garbage doesn't look
like mis-placed screen stuff, but code or other binary data. Thankfully,
if this is the case, the corruption seems contained to the AppVM. The
garbage never spills outside an AppVm's window. It happens in both
Redhat-23 and Debian-8 based AppVMs. I've never seen evidence of it in
dom0/Qubes Manager and such.

It realize it's *probably* not an attack, but I'd like to track down the
nature of the problem whether it's a bug or an attack.

I've read in another thread about video corruption caused by accessing
memory who page has moved, and "echo 0
>/proc/sys/vm/compact_unevictable_allowed" supposedly helps. At first, I
thought that made a difference, but ultimately, the problem is still
there.

Any ideas on what I can try, short of giving up and hunting down an ATI
card or the like? (I might try the proprietary nVidia drivers when I get
a chance to compile them. Not comfortable with grabbing binary versions
for obvious reasons.)

Thanks. You guys rock!

Andrew David Wong

Aug 15, 2016, 9:20:00 PM8/15/16
to johny...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 16, 2016, 9:28:03 AM8/16/16
to Andrew David Wong, johny...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> However, under Qubes, I experience random screen corruption.
>>
>> See: https://i.imgur.com/ovEFgYO.png

> Looks like it could be this issue:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1028
>
> As you can see from the qubes-builder-github comments, some patches for
> this
> are already in the testing repos. You may want to give those a try.

Awesome! Will give that a shot. Thanks for the reply! :)

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 18, 2016, 3:57:02 PM8/18/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This problem persists in 3.2rc2.

JJ

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 19, 2016, 7:21:22 AM8/19/16
to johny...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

> This problem persists in 3.2rc2.
>
> JJ

Actually, just FYI, the behavior seems to be a lot better under 3.2rc2.
I've only seen it a couple of times, versus seeing it consistently under
3.1.

Andrew David Wong

Aug 19, 2016, 2:17:11 PM8/19/16
to johny...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 19, 2016, 10:35:19 PM8/19/16
to johny...@sigaint.org, a...@qubes-os.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> Several packages were recently pushed to testing repos (see
>> qubes-buider-github comments on the issue). Have you had a chance to try
>> those?
>
> Cool, I will grab the latest qubes-gui-vm from current-testing and see if
> that helps.

Sorry, that was phrased wrong, and I hate to add any confusion for anyone.
(I really should read more carefully before posting.)

I see the updated packages are for qubes-gui-agent's in the fedora/debian
templates. Will grab those, fire up several AppVM's, and see if things
improve.

Cheers.

JJ

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 20, 2016, 8:23:19 AM8/20/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, a...@qubes-os.org
> I see the updated packages are for qubes-gui-agent's in the fedora/debian
> templates. Will grab those, fire up several AppVM's, and see if things
> improve.

Added testing repos to (clones of) debian-23 and debian-8 templates (as
well as whonix-gw/whonix-ws), did upgrades/dist-updates, restarted, loaded
up a bunch of AppVM's, and have been pounding on things awhile.

No sign of screen garbage yet! :)

Looks promising.

Cheers.

JJ

johny...@sigaint.org

Aug 22, 2016, 11:19:17 AM8/22/16
to johny...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com, a...@qubes-os.org
> Added testing repos to (clones of) debian-23 and debian-8 templates (as
> well as whonix-gw/whonix-ws), did upgrades/dist-updates, restarted, loaded
> up a bunch of AppVM's, and have been pounding on things awhile.
>
> No sign of screen garbage yet! :)
>
> Looks promising.

Day 3 of banging on r3.2-testing, and zero sign of any screen corruption.

I think it's safe to mark this one as fixed.

JJ

Andrew David Wong

Aug 22, 2016, 11:53:11 AM8/22/16
to johny...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com