Size of HVM VM's

sander...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 4:40:03 AM5/18/17
to qubes-users
Hi People,

I just spinned up two HVM's (Win10 and Ubuntu).
They both work fine but i can't get them fullscreen or at least a little bigger.

Is there a way to resize the VM's? So i can do my work normally and don't have to scroll all the time to read a single email.

I'd like to hear of you.

Greetz,

Sander

blacklight

May 18, 2017, 5:14:20 AM5/18/17
to qubes-users, sander...@gmail.com
you would want to take a look at this :https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/full-screen-mode/

i have to warn you though, enableing fullscreen does have some security risks.
copied from the link above:

Why is full screen mode potentially dangerous?
If one allowed one of the VMs to “own” the full screen, e.g. to show a movie on a full screen, it might not be possible for the user to know if the applications/VM really “released” the full screen, or if it has started emulating the whole desktop and is pretending to be the trusted Window Manager, drawing shapes on the screen that look e.g. like other windows, belonging to other domains (e.g. to trick the user into entering a secret passphrase into a window that looks like belonging to some trusted domain).

good luck :)

sander...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 6:11:13 AM5/18/17
to qubes-users, sander...@gmail.com
Thankyou for the fast response. I tried what it stated in the link you sent me.

But it didn't work for my standalone Ubuntu, Win10 and Kali-Mate Machines.

Do you know how i can fix this?

Unman

May 18, 2017, 2:41:28 PM5/18/17
to sander...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Have you set the screen resolution from within the HVM using normal
tools? I don't use Windows but that works for Debian based HVMs.
Set the display resolution to that of your screen: Right Click on the
title Bar and select FullScreen.

If you just want a larger window, then just set the resolution.

sander...@gmail.com

May 19, 2017, 4:36:13 AM5/19/17
to qubes-users, sander...@gmail.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
Thankyou for your answer.

I tried it and it worked! Thankyou!

sander...@gmail.com

May 31, 2017, 4:06:57 AM5/31/17
to qubes-users, sander...@gmail.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
On Thursday, 18 May 2017 20:41:28 UTC+2, Unman wrote:
Do you know how it works with ubuntu?
Ubuntu only states the 800x600 resolution..

ma77...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2018, 9:07:12 PM11/5/18
to qubes-users

> I tried it and it worked! Thankyou!

How did you change the resolution? I only see 800*600 option in Ubuntu HVM.
I tried https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/linux-hvm-tips/, which only enlarge to 1024-768.
And when I run "X -configure :1", it shows errors, I have to hard code a xorg.conf file, which is not the right method, I know.
How to change it the larger size?
Thanks

unman

Nov 6, 2018, 7:36:33 PM11/6/18
to qubes-users
Try this in your HVM, using whatever modes you want to try:

sudo apt-get install xvfb xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfstt

Edit /etc/default/grub, and set:
GRUB_GFXMODE=1600x1200,1280x1024,800x600
GRUB_PAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

sudo update-grub

Then in dom0:
qvm-features <hvm> video-model cirrus

You should be able to get at least 1280x1024

unman

Rich Wang

Nov 7, 2018, 9:59:15 AM11/7/18
to qubes-users

This works pretty well!
As I use R3.2, "qvm-features" does not exist, so I ignore this, while it still works.
Thanks a lot!