trouble with whonix-14-dvm

coinsh...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2018, 5:20:22 PM4/18/18
to qubes-users
maybe this is a whonix issue. maybe this is a qubes issue. not sure.

steps...

[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create --template debian-9 --label red custom-dvm
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-prefs custom-dvm template_for_dispvms True
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-features custom-dvm appmenus-dispvm 1

in my case custom-dvm=whonix-14-dvm...

start tor browser...

"Tor Browser is currently not installed.
(Folder /home/user/.tb/tor-browser does not exist.)
Start Tor Browser Downloader (by Whonix Developers)?"

use tor browser downloader by whonix? y
empty response

create basic appvm from template as per step 1 above...
qvm-create --template whonix-14-ws --label red whonix-14-dvm

start tor browser...

"Tor Browser is currently not installed.
(Folder /home/user/.tb/tor-browser does not exist.)
Start Tor Browser Downloader (by Whonix Developers)?"

use tor browser downloader by whonix? y

error: tor has not been bootstrapped!

this is a lie. sys-whonix-14 is running and working.
all whonix docs have been followed such as applying apparmor, disabling various things like whonix-check and editing the torrc and firewall files.

any help, I am thankful!

awokd

Apr 19, 2018, 4:46:35 AM4/19/18
to coinsh...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Wed, April 18, 2018 9:20 pm, coinsh...@gmail.com wrote:
> maybe this is a whonix issue. maybe this is a qubes issue. not sure.
>
> steps...
>
> [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create --template debian-9 --label red custom-dvm
> [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-prefs custom-dvm template_for_dispvms True
> [user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-features custom-dvm appmenus-dispvm 1
>

> in my case custom-dvm=whonix-14-dvm...
>
> start tor browser...
>
> "Tor Browser is currently not installed.
> (Folder /home/user/.tb/tor-browser does not exist.)
> Start Tor Browser Downloader (by Whonix Developers)?"
>

> use tor browser downloader by whonix? y empty response

Are you trying to build your own Whonix WS 14 template based on debian-9?
You might want to begin by installing the one in unstable first and
working from there.

Qubes does some additional steps to support Whonix 13- see the salt
command on https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/whonix/install/#install-templates.
If you're trying to make a DVM off the Whonix 14 ws template, per
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3595, I think you also need
something like (not tested!) "qvm-features whonix-ws-14 whonix-ws 1".

cooloutac

Apr 19, 2018, 6:09:55 AM4/19/18
to qubes-users

unless you want to install tor yourself. you gotta install whonix templates not debian 9.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/whonix/install/

cooloutac

Apr 19, 2018, 6:28:36 AM4/19/18
to qubes-users

heres how to make your own tor proxy. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/torvm/

coinsh...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2018, 10:06:28 AM4/19/18
to qubes-users
oh yes apologies. I made a copy of default whonix-gw and whonix-ws, then upgraded as per https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Upgrading_Whonix_13_to_Whonix_14

so you say whonix-14 is available in the unstable repo? I will try this.

when changing anon-whonix to use netvm and template for whonix-14, tor browser works.

when creating a new dvm, tor browser claims not installed.

I wanted to install whonix-14 from a premade template but did not know how. only instructions for upgrading from 13 to 14 on whonix.org

coinsh...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2018, 10:23:53 AM4/19/18
to qubes-users
i am also following the whonix forums, if you want to follow along. i was not sure who to ask as I did not know if this issue was whonix or qubes.

https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-14-disp-vm/5092/5

awokd

Apr 21, 2018, 1:23:36 PM4/21/18
to coinsh...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Think I got it working with the -14 templates from unstable. In dom0:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable
qubes-template-whonix-gw-14
qvm-create sys-whonix-14 --class AppVM --template whonix-gw-14 --label black
qvm-prefs sys-whonix-14 provides_network True

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable
qubes-template-whonix-ws-14
qvm-features whonix-ws-14 whonix-ws 1
qvm-create whonix-ws-dvm-14 --class AppVM --template whonix-ws-14 --label
green
qvm-features whonix-ws-14-dvm appmenus-dispvm 1
qvm-prefs whonix-ws-dvm-14 template_for_dispvms true
qvm-prefs whonix-ws-dvm-14 netvm sys-whonix-14
qvm-prefs whonix-ws-dvm-14 default_dispvm whonix-ws-dvm-14

I suspect once these templates get released to stable, the salt command
will take care of all that for us.

awokd

Apr 21, 2018, 1:32:09 PM4/21/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, coinsh...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sat, April 21, 2018 5:23 pm, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:

> qvm-features whonix-ws-14-dvm appmenus-dispvm 1

Should be:

qvm-features whonix-ws-dvm-14 appmenus-dispvm 1

mossy

May 10, 2018, 10:18:44 AM5/10/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, coinsh...@gmail.com, qubes-users
'awokd' via qubes-users:
> Think I got it working with the -14 templates from unstable. In dom0:
>
> sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable
> qubes-template-whonix-gw-14
> qvm-create sys-whonix-14 --class AppVM --template whonix-gw-14 --label black
> qvm-prefs sys-whonix-14 provides_network True
>
> sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-unstable
> qubes-template-whonix-ws-14
> qvm-features whonix-ws-14 whonix-ws 1
> qvm-create whonix-ws-dvm-14 --class AppVM --template whonix-ws-14 --label
> green
> qvm-features whonix-ws-14-dvm appmenus-dispvm 1
> qvm-prefs whonix-ws-dvm-14 template_for_dispvms true
> qvm-prefs whonix-ws-dvm-14 netvm sys-whonix-14
> qvm-prefs whonix-ws-dvm-14 default_dispvm whonix-ws-dvm-14
>
> I suspect once these templates get released to stable, the salt command
> will take care of all that for us.

Plus, to ensure updates will work, run the following as well in dom0:

qvm-tags whonix-gw-14 a whonix-updatevm
qvm-tags whonix-ws-14 a whonix-updatevm

And thanks for this, I was not aware of qvm-features or some of those
the qvm-prefs flags. Whonix 13 to 14 upgrade worked for me on R4_rc5
but not final R4.0, but installing fresh templates from unstable did the
trick.

-m0ssy

mossy

May 10, 2018, 12:42:39 PM5/10/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, coinsh...@gmail.com, qubes-users
mossy:
also, if you want whonix updates to go through the new sys-whonix-14, in
dom0 edit the file:
/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy

modify the top line:
$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix

to become:
$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix-14