Is Dell Latitude E5470 (Intel I7 6820 HQ) compatible with QubesOS?

Chempes Amt

Aug 26, 2020, 6:54:56 AM8/26/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I'm looking forward to buy a new laptop in order to run QubesOS with fluidity. I have already had a look to HCL but there is no feedback about Dell Latitude E5470 with Intel i7-6820HQ (with Intel HD Graphics 530). I was wondering if anyone on this list is using this laptop and if he/she could share his/her experience with me.
Here are the specs of the laptop (sorry if they are in German) :

DELL Latitude E5470 mit 14"(35 cm) Full HD 1920 x 1080 Multi-Touch LED Display, W-Lan a/c, LTE-4G, Bluetooth, WebCam, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit & beleuchtete DE Intel vPro Technology
CPU Intel Core i7-6820HQ
Taktfrequenz 2.7 GHz
Max. Turbo-Geschwindigkeit 3.6 GHz
Multi-Core-Technologie QUAD-Core
64-Bit-Computing Ja
Funktionen Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

CACHE-SPEICHER
Typ Intel Smart Cache
Installierte Größe 8 MB
ARBEITSSPEICHER
Hauptspeicher
8 GB
Hauptspeicher Max. 32 GB
Technologie DDR4 SDRAM - 2133 MHz
Formfaktor SO DIMM 260-polig

MASSENSPEICHER
Festplatte
256 GB - SSD
Optische Laufwerke kein
KARTENLESER
Typ: 5-in-1 Kartenleser
Unterstützte Flash-Speicherkarten:
SD Memory Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, SDHC-Speicherkarte
BILDSCHIRM
Display Typ 14"(35 cm) LED Display
Max. Auflösung 1920 x 1080
Breitbild-Bildschirm Ja
Besonderheiten Multi-Touch, WebCam
GRAFIK
Grafikprozessor Intel HD 530
Videospeicher Dynamic Video Memory Technology
AUDIOEIGENSCHAFTEN
Audioausgang Soundkarte
Ton Lautsprecher , Mikrofon
Kompatibilität

High Definition Audio
KOMMUNIKATION
WLAN Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 - M.2 Card- 300 MBit/s
WWAN LTE-4G
Bluetooth 4.2
LAN Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 MBit/s

Thank you a lot for your feedback !

Chempes
--
Sent with https://mailfence.com
Secure and private email

Qubes

Aug 26, 2020, 11:23:56 AM8/26/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have installed Qubes 4.0 successfully on a Latitude E6520 with similar
specs and everything works as expected. Out of the box I wouldn't go for
less than 16 GB memory though. 8 GB works and you will be able to get
by, more so in the beginning when you are still getting to grips with
Qubes, but you will soon realize the power of Qubes and at that moment 8
GB memory will not be enough. If you can afford it I would recommend
going for 32 GB. You will then have a system that is fairly future
proof. A trade-off will be to start with 1 x 16 GB memory module. You
can then easily upgrade to 32 GB when that time arrives (instead of
replacing 2 x 8 GB modules).

Chempes Amt

Aug 27, 2020, 8:36:27 AM8/27/20
to Qubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Thank you so much, Qubesmlu for your feedback. As I wanted to be sure to buy a laptop fully compatible with Qubes, I decided to get another version with the i5-6440HQ CPU and 16 GB of RAM (it is on the HCL). I don't know if it's upgradable to 32 GB, but 16 seems to me enough to run Qubes quite smoothly.

Rafael Reis

Sep 13, 2020, 11:51:15 AM9/13/20
to qubes-users
Yes it works beautifully with the E5470. If you search for E5470 here in the group you’ll find lengthy discussions and information about it, part of it by me. Use the search function!

Rafael