When transferring file between Qubes, MD5 changes.

vegetar...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2017, 2:35:33 AM11/16/17
to qubes-users
I am transferring a windows ISO file between qubes.. however, the file's MD5 sum changes every time I complete the transfer.

Why might this be so?

Chris Laprise

Nov 16, 2017, 9:16:57 AM11/16/17
to vegetar...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On 11/16/2017 02:35 AM, vegetar...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am transferring a windows ISO file between qubes.. however, the file's MD5 sum changes every time I complete the transfer.
>
> Why might this be so?

It might be a bug?

What version of Qubes? And what OS are the source & destination VMs? Is
the same mdsum program being using on both ends?

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

rysiek

Nov 16, 2017, 9:29:18 AM11/16/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dnia Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:16:49 AM CET Chris Laprise pisze:
> On 11/16/2017 02:35 AM, vegetar...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I am transferring a windows ISO file between qubes.. however, the file's
> > MD5 sum changes every time I complete the transfer.
> >
> > Why might this be so?
>
> It might be a bug?
>
> What version of Qubes? And what OS are the source & destination VMs? Is
> the same mdsum program being using on both ends?

Also, what if you transfer the file with the changed md5 back into the
original VM? Does the md5 sum change back to what it was, or to something
different yet?

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147
GPG Key Transition :: http://rys.io/en/147
signature.asc

Unman

Nov 16, 2017, 2:50:30 PM11/16/17
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:35:33PM -0800, vegetar...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am transferring a windows ISO file between qubes.. however, the file's MD5 sum changes every time I complete the transfer.
>
> Why might this be so?

Please identify the Qubes version, and which Templates you are using.
On 3.2 with Debian templates (various) I have never seen this, and I
religiously check iso images before using.
I don't have a Windows iso to test with, but I cant imagine that makes
any difference. Just in case though, can you test with some other iso
image?
Are the file sizes identical?

unman

entr0py

Nov 16, 2017, 4:17:39 PM11/16/17
to vegetar...@gmail.com, qubes-users
vegetar...@gmail.com:
> I am transferring a windows ISO file between qubes.. however, the file's MD5 sum changes every time I complete the transfer.
>
> Why might this be so?

Shouldn't be happening. I suspect faulty checksum tools in Windows. Use one of the following options:

1. (cmd.exe) CertUtil -hashfile <file> SHA256

2. (PowerShell 4 or higher) Get-FileHash -Algorithm SHA256 <file>

Compare with `sha256sum` in Linux.

Vít Šesták

Nov 17, 2017, 5:20:44 PM11/17/17
to qubes-users
Is it random, or deterministic?

Do you observe any signs of unstable system (e.g., freezes, app crashes, VM crashes, system crashes…)? If you do, it might be a faulty RAM.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

vegetar...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2017, 11:27:22 PM11/17/17
to qubes-users
The nature of the error was deterministic, deterministic as in "stupid human."

I really appreciate all the support but I had some really similar file names and way too much faith in my command line history.

Sorry guys.
(I had also been working 16+ hours at the time.)

rysiek

Nov 18, 2017, 6:41:08 AM11/18/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Dnia Friday, November 17, 2017 8:27:22 PM CET vegetar...@gmail.com pisze:
> The nature of the error was deterministic, deterministic as in "stupid
> human."
>
> I really appreciate all the support but I had some really similar file names
> and way too much faith in my command line history.

We've all been there. :)

> Sorry guys.
> (I had also been working 16+ hours at the time.)

Hope you got some rest.
signature.asc