Qubes / Github bugs track ??

ThierryIT

Jan 30, 2018, 2:36:51 AM1/30/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

Why are you closing a ticket before knowing if the modification you have made, to correct the bug, is working ? I mean, why can't you wait for the user to add the modification and see if it is working or not ?
As exemple: ticket #3501 is closed, but even if I have followed the instruction, the problem is not solved, but the ticket is closed ... How to re-open it ?

Thx

Ivan Mitev

Jan 30, 2018, 3:05:57 AM1/30/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 01/30/18 09:36, ThierryIT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why are you closing a ticket before knowing if the modification you have made, to correct the bug, is working ? I mean, why can't you wait for the user to add the modification and see if it is working or not ?

Once a dev or contributor provides a fix that he/she thinks solves an
issue there is usually no reason to keep the issue open, or else the
issue tracker would be cluttered with fixed but open issues waiting to
be confirmed/closed by their reporter.

> As exemple: ticket #3501 is closed, but even if I have followed the instruction, the problem is not solved, but the ticket is closed ...
Either you're now hitting a bug that has nothing to do with your
original issue or Marek thought he fixed the bug but made a mistake. If
it's the former simply open another issue. If it's the latter, I'd send
Marek a friendly email, or I would create a new issue pointing to the
wrongly solved older one.

> How to re-open it ?

You can't, it looks like it's a github shortcoming. Had you taken 2 secs
to websearch it, you'd have found:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21333654/how-to-re-open-an-issue-in-github#21333938

first hit, no need to even click the link, the answer is at the top of
the search page: "you cannot re-open your own issues if a repo
collaborator closed them".

ThierryIT

Jan 30, 2018, 3:11:29 AM1/30/18
to qubes-users
Le mardi 30 janvier 2018 10:05:57 UTC+2, Ivan Mitev a écrit :
> On 01/30/18 09:36, ThierryIT wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why are you closing a ticket before knowing if the modification you have
Thx for your explanations, very nice job :)
So if I did understood well, I have to re-open a new ticket for the same problem .. Because it is not resolved.

ThierryIT

Jan 31, 2018, 9:25:46 AM1/31/18
to qubes-users
Le mardi 30 janvier 2018 10:05:57 UTC+2, Ivan Mitev a écrit :
> On 01/30/18 09:36, ThierryIT wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why are you closing a ticket before knowing if the modification you have made, to correct the bug, is working ? I mean, why can't you wait for the user to add the modification and see if it is working or not ?
>
> Once a dev or contributor provides a fix that he/she thinks solves an
> issue there is usually no reason to keep the issue open, or else the
> issue tracker would be cluttered with fixed but open issues waiting to
> be confirmed/closed by their reporter.

Do not agree at all with this ...
If taking as example my ticket, what happen:

1) I open a ticket for a problem
2) The ticket is taken into account by the dev
3) Work on it, push the patch
4) close the ticket
5) I do the update as requested
6) result: not fully working
7) Cannot re-open my ticket, open a new ticket
8) The dev close my second ticket because it is duplicated ticket
9) re-open the first ticket

And what about:

1) I open a ticket for a problem
2) The ticket is taken into account by the dev
3) Work on it, push the patch
4) Ask the user to update and give feedback
5) if working then close the ticket, if not then go ahead ...

What do you think ?

Andrew David Wong

Jan 31, 2018, 11:38:25 PM1/31/18
to ThierryIT, qubes-users
The problem, as Ivan pointed out, is that our issue tracker would be
cluttered with open reports in which the issue is probably fixed, but
we're waiting for the reporter to confirm that it's fixed. Many
reporters wouldn't respond at all. That would make our issue tracker
much less efficient for our developers, which would in turn make them
less efficient at fixing bugs and adding features.

Instead, if you find that your issue was closed without being fixed, you
should simply say so in a comment on that issue. You could simply say,
"This is still happening. Please re-open." (However, it would be more
helpful if you could provide more detail than that. We understand that
it's not always possible, though.)

Whatever you do, don't create a new issue when you know it's a duplicate
of the old one! That causes confusion and creates extra work, which
takes time away from working on the actual problem.

>>> As exemple: ticket #3501 is closed, but even if I have followed the instruction, the problem is not solved, but the ticket is closed ...
>> Either you're now hitting a bug that has nothing to do with your
>> original issue or Marek thought he fixed the bug but made a mistake. If
>> it's the former simply open another issue. If it's the latter, I'd send
>> Marek a friendly email, or I would create a new issue pointing to the
>> wrongly solved older one.

Please don't send emails to individual developers or create issues you
know are duplicates! Both are distracting and actually make it harder
for them to help you with your problem. Instead, please just add a
comment on the existing closed issue, as I explained above. We'll
receive a notification when you do.

I've updated the Reporting Bugs page to try to clarify all of this:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/reporting-bugs/

>>> How to re-open it ?
>>
>> You can't, it looks like it's a github shortcoming. Had you taken 2 secs
>> to websearch it, you'd have found:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21333654/how-to-re-open-an-issue-in-github#21333938
>>
>> first hit, no need to even click the link, the answer is at the top of
>> the search page: "you cannot re-open your own issues if a repo
>> collaborator closed them".

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Ivan Mitev

Feb 1, 2018, 1:52:13 AM2/1/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> Whatever you do, don't create a new issue when you know it's a duplicate
> of the old one! That causes confusion and creates extra work, which
> takes time away from working on the actual problem.

[...]

> Please don't send emails to individual developers or create issues you
> know are duplicates! Both are distracting and actually make it harder
> for them to help you with your problem. Instead, please just add a
> comment on the existing closed issue, as I explained above. We'll
> receive a notification when you do.

To the OP's credit, both those [bad] suggestions were mine: without
knowing that you get notifications when a comment to closed issue was
post I only saw those two - non optimal - ways.

Cheers,
Ivan

Nope

Feb 1, 2018, 3:22:35 AM2/1/18
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-users
The problem, as Ivan pointed out, is that our issue tracker would be
cluttered with open reports in which the issue is probably fixed, but
we're waiting for the reporter to confirm that it's fixed.

-> cluttered with open reports: yes you are right, in this case, can you through Github, to close automatically tickets after "3 days" if no answer ?
-> not true, my ticket has been closed before my "report".

Instead, if you find that your issue was closed without being fixed, you
should simply say so in a comment on that issue. You could simply say,
"This is still happening. Please re-open."

-> ok for me

Whatever you do, don't create a new issue when you know it's a duplicate
of the old one! That causes confusion and creates extra work, which
takes time away from working on the actual problem.

-> agree

I don't want to bother the team.
Just my two pences.

Thx

Andrew David Wong

Feb 1, 2018, 11:33:47 PM2/1/18
to Nope, qubes-users

On 2018-02-01 02:22, Nope wrote:
> The problem, as Ivan pointed out, is that our issue tracker would
> be cluttered with open reports in which the issue is probably
> fixed, but we're waiting for the reporter to confirm that it's
> fixed.
>
> -> cluttered with open reports: yes you are right, in this case,
> can you through Github, to close automatically tickets after "3
> days" if no answer ?

Possible, but harder to manage. AFAIK, there's no way to automatically
close after three days, so we would have to remember to do this for
every issue, which would be a lot of extra overhead. If we could
automate this, though, it could be a nice system.

> -> not true, my ticket has been closed before my "report".

By "report" I mean the original report when you first open the issue.
In this sense, it's not possible for an issue to be closed before your
report, because the issue doesn't exist before your report (and an
issue that doesn't exist can't be closed).

> Instead, if you find that your issue was closed without being
> fixed, you should simply say so in a comment on that issue. You
> could simply say, "This is still happening. Please re-open."
>
> -> ok for me
>
> Whatever you do, don't create a new issue when you know it's a
> duplicate of the old one! That causes confusion and creates extra
> work, which takes time away from working on the actual problem.
>
> -> agree
>
> I don't want to bother the team. Just my two pences.
>
> Thx

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS