Hardware not supported on Qubes 4.0 rc2

Anirban Kar

Oct 26, 2017, 1:37:10 PM10/26/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
My Hardware:
Processor- AMD Athlon X2 5200
Mobo- Asrock 960GC-GS FX
RAM- DDR2 800 MHz 2× 2GB
HDD - Seagate 250 GB SATA 7200 rpm

I can install and use Qubes 3.2 without any hassel but facing a hardware incompatibility notification while installing Qubes 4.0 rc2. Ignoring the notification and installing Qubes 4.0 rc2 results to a system which does not have a sys-net vm. I am adding a screenshot of the notification. I am quite sure that my processor supports AMD-V.

IMG_20171026_223905.jpg

Foppe de Haan

Oct 26, 2017, 3:57:16 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
is iommu support present and enabled in your bios?

joev...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2017, 4:21:08 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
In Qubes 3.2.... run an HCL Report and make sure directio is shown. Post the report here.

Foppe de Haan

Oct 26, 2017, 5:12:18 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 7:37:10 PM UTC+2, Anirban Kar wrote:
googling a bit, I see that your CPU is from 2006, and afaik AMD only added iommu support around 2007, and then 'upgraded' it around 2013/14, so it's not likely to fully support hvm/pvh virtualization. You can probably get sys-net to run by running 'qvm-prefs sys-net virt_mode pv' from dom0 shell, though.

Marco Silva

Oct 26, 2017, 6:10:03 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
Funny thing that I've installed qubes 4.0 RC1 on an old laptop with a I7-2670 cpu who doesn't support VT-d.

On my workstation(Tyan s7050 & 2X Xeons E5-2670 +64GB ram) I've installed RC2 without any warnings, but when I've start the initial setup i have a LIBwhatever error and doesn't install any VM :(

Anirban Kar

Oct 26, 2017, 11:28:55 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
Here is the HCL attached as per your request.
Qubes-HCL-ASRock-960GC_GS_FX-20171027-083907.yml

Anirban Kar

Oct 27, 2017, 3:12:06 AM10/27/17
to qubes-users
On Friday, 27 October 2017 08:58:55 UTC+5:30, Anirban Kar wrote:
> Here is the HCL attached as per your request.

Also sending the .cpio.gz as attachment.

Qubes-HCL-ASRock-960GC_GS_FX-20171027-123548.cpio.gz

joev...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2017, 7:44:43 AM10/27/17
to qubes-users
On Thursday, 26 October 2017 13:37:10 UTC-4, Anirban Kar wrote:
iommu:
'no'

Says it all.
Read the release notes and blog posts on rc1 and rc2. PV vs. HVM was the difference between the two.

qvm-prefs sys-net virt_mode pv

This may work, but future versions of qubes are going away from PV all together, so AMD-Vi (IOMMU) will be a requirement.
I upgraded my hardware for this reason.

Sergio Matta

Oct 27, 2017, 7:46:49 AM10/27/17
to qubes-users
Dear Anirban, I have the same problem and I will change my motherboard. But until there, I changed to PV, insert some ip commands(ip link, ip addr, ip route) in /rw/config/rc.local (sys-net and sys-firewall) to enable networking. It is not the best solution but works.