USB keyboard and mouse no longer work

gal...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2020, 6:16:50 AM2/2/20
to qubes-users
Hello I need some help to get in to Qubes please.

I think I did an update that might have causes this but am not sure.

I use an intel NUC computer so have no option other than to use a USB keyboard and mouse. I've had qubes running for a few months now with a sys-usb and everything was fine.

Today I turned the computer on and entered the disk passphrase - they keyboard worked.

When qubes got to the login page the keyboard and mouse do not work.

I dont think I've changed any settings that could cause this.

Please help me reenable the USB.

Thank you.

gal...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2020, 6:41:35 AM2/2/20
to qubes-users
I see in the boot messages that there is one that says 'Failed to start Sys-USB'. I dont know why and cant use a keyboard to get more information.

unman

Feb 2, 2020, 8:19:41 AM2/2/20
to qubes-users
Please dont top-post. Scroll to the bottom of the message before
starting typing. It's the convention here and makes messages read
sensibly.

I think a simple option is to interrupt the boot process and rename
sys-usb, so that it no longer takes the USB controller. Are you using
legacy boot or EFI? Do you have a recovery disk available or some other
live distro?
I'm assuming the NUC only has 1 USB controller? Can you confirm that?

gal...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2020, 5:18:43 PM2/2/20
to qubes-users
Thanks for your reply.

I have a live Ubuntu that I can use. The NUC only has one USB as far as I know.

I'm using legacy boot.

gal...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2020, 4:21:00 PM2/4/20
to qubes-users
A quick update to this:

I ended up restoring a backup from last week. This time I have not bothered with a sys-usb so hopefully my keyboard and mouse won't get locked out again.

The only problem now is that my usb printer/scanner is no longer detected.

dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org

Feb 4, 2020, 5:19:08 PM2/4/20
to gal...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 01:21:00PM -0800, gal...@gmail.com wrote:

> bothered with a sys-usb so hopefully my keyboard and mouse won't get
> locked out again.

special move there: disable autostart for sys-usb

that way you can fix your system a lot easier / more convenient if
you manage to break sys-usb.

gal...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2020, 6:34:30 AM2/5/20
to qubes-users
Thank you. Disabling the sys-usb autostart is perfect. I can start it when I want to use my scanner.