Qubes and Libreboot - not work together?

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2016, 12:17:34 PM1/7/16
to qubes-users
Hi

Did anybody complete with success Qubes installation on Librebooted laptop?

I tried verison 3.1 from usb stick, and 3.0 from 2 different dvd's and it didn't boot at all. Live 3.0 also did not start.

I also tried connect hdd with already installed Qubes - also no success with booting.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 7, 2016, 5:14:28 PM1/7/16
to niepo...@gmail.com, qubes-users

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2016, 4:47:44 AM1/8/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com
With "out of box" librebooted laptop Qubes not start at all. No errors , just nothing.

I need to manually configure grub bootloader ( push "C")
grub> ls
show usb0 stick
grub> cat (usb0)/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
this show the ISOLINUX menuentries for that Qubes iso.
grub> linux (usb0)/isolinux/mboot.c32
Invalid magic number.

How resolve this ?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 8, 2016, 6:59:30 AM1/8/16
to niepo...@gmail.com, qubes-users

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2016, 12:17:26 PM1/8/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com
multiboot (usb0)/isolinux/xen.gz
module (usb0)/isolinux/vmlinuz \inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes\x20R3.1-rc1\x20x86_64
module (usb0)/isolinux/initrd.img
boot

These above commands were typed and result looks odd. Once I type one by one commands all is ok (diode on my usb stick flash) and grub did not show errors but after command "boot" light of diode disappear its mean stick lose connection and all freeze.

megonoki

Jan 8, 2016, 12:32:09 PM1/8/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com

Same results on another X200 with 1-2 months old libreboot and current Qubes RC.

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2016, 12:41:51 PM1/8/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com, de.retro...@gmail.com
>current Qubes RC.

Have you installation success with previous Qubes release > R3.0 ?

de.retro...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2016, 1:38:20 PM1/8/16
On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 6:41:51 PM UTC+1, niepo...@gmail.com wrote:
> >current Qubes RC.
>
> Have you installation success with previous Qubes release > R3.0 ?

I didn't try so far.

Eric Shelton

Jan 8, 2016, 1:40:28 PM1/8/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com
I suggest trying the same with Qubes 3.0.  I believe on some systems 3.1 may not be getting along with USB 3 controllers due to some missing kernel modules (although this might just be a post-install issue).  That problem has similar USB stick LED behavior.

Eric

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2016, 2:46:26 PM1/8/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com
Try with RC3.0-rc3 from dvd also bring no success.

set root='ahci1'
multiboot (ahci1)/isolinux/xen.gz
module (ahci1)/isolinux/vmlinuz \inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes\x20R3.0-rc3\x20x86_64
module (ahci1)/isolinux/initrd.img
boot

Nothing happens.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 8, 2016, 3:30:23 PM1/8/16
to niepo...@gmail.com, qubes-users

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2016, 3:54:20 PM1/8/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com
Nothing = not even a sinle message from grub.

It looks like below and stay frozen.

--------------
grub> boot
_

--------------

I tried without that "\" in front of "\inst.stage2"

After 2 seconds after command "boot" dvd stopped work (it was hearable).

Seems like command boot cut off power from devices lol

Thierry Laurion

Jan 10, 2016, 1:43:53 AM1/10/16
to qubes-users
Does putting iommu=0 at the end of the xen line change something ?

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2016, 11:12:37 AM1/10/16
to qubes-users
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 7:43:53 AM UTC+1, Thierry Laurion wrote:
> Does putting iommu=0 at the end of the xen line change something ?

thank you for advice but it do not change anything with Qubes 3.1 .
There was freeze and cut off power from usb stick (light of diode disappear after "boot" command).

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2016, 11:20:50 AM1/10/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com

@ MarMarek & JoannaR. you need to making your own research with installation Qubes on Librebooted laptop as its seems not ease case for let say grub "noob".

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2016, 2:58:03 PM1/12/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com
Do anybody else have idea how resolve this problem with installation Qubes on Librebooted hardware?

niepo...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2016, 3:33:01 PM1/23/16
to qubes-users, niepo...@gmail.com
What do you think about seabios as libreboot payload?

Is there option to work with Qubes without any or easy to make modification ?

Thierry Laurion

Apr 12, 2016, 10:51:50 PM4/12/16
to qubes-users
That works. Use libreboot version libreboot-r20150518fix-562-g179b5ba, it contains seabios. Question was asked here to know how to put it back in the firmware in manual builds: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/libreboot-dev/2016-04/msg00015.html

niepo...@gmail.com

May 1, 2016, 5:20:58 AM5/1/16
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 4:51:50 AM UTC+2, Thierry Laurion wrote:
> That works. Use libreboot version libreboot-r20150518fix-562-g179b5ba, it contains seabios. Question was asked here to know how to put it back in the firmware in manual builds: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/libreboot-dev/2016-04/msg00015.html

This version libreboot-r20150518fix-562-g179b5ba seems not available at any place to download.

Where can I find already compilled libreboot with seabios?